Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Chloe does some decent impressions, but more 2 dimensional pop cultures figures rather than a recurring politic figure.

2. SoundAdvice

Kate/Aidy likely had appearance quotas in their contracts as they always appear 2-3 times and some of their bits are head scratchers. Kate's Update desk appearances in particular.

There were bad sketches that don't seem motivated by those K/A quotas or other factors like thinly veiled product placement sketches(they can mock product with near free license). Some cut sketches have been thrown on YouTube, so we can see there's lame sketches simply because there isn't better material that week.

AFAIK, the cast and writers still work in small bubbles. They can't gather and bounce ideas off each other. There's a photo of them rehearsing a sketch with cloth face masks from the end of last season. BECAUSE they know each other for 5-7 years they can work in a way that newer cast members can't due to steep learning curve not there in past years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

9 V'd Yankees missed games

Seemingly V'd people with stage work affected by positive tests:
    KISS, Bill Maher, Corey Taylor(from Slipknot), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Counting Crowes, Pop Evil, Kings of Leon, REO Speedwagon, Wolfgang Van Halen's band Mammoth, Kid Rock(mostly V'd entourage), Korn, Doobie Brothers, Neko Case, Indigo Girls, Umphree McGee, Dave Matthews Band, My Morning Jacket, ZaC Brown, Avett Brothers, Incubus.....

Make of that what you will.

4. SoundAdvice

[​IMG]

Starts tonight. Owen Wilson/Kacey Musgraves

5. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I think that contract negotiations factor into whether someone comes back. Maybe sometimes cast members can come back but decide not to based on the terms of an offered contract.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Never really heard Kacey Musgraves before, but the first song she performed I thought was Fantastic and I also really liked the second one as well.

jpelg, Matthew Tate and dlokazip like this.
  7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Didn't catch it live (tomorrow's another day!) but just viewed the opening monologue & thought Owen smashed it!!!
    [​IMG] :D:winkgrin::righton:

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The school board sketch was on point.

9. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

wow , i am watching this for the 3rd time. I can't remember an episode this great , all the way through. A++

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Premiere was really good for the most part. The Talking sketch wasn't that great, but a lot of other highlights. Written to the times and funny. Good Cars parody.

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Kacey's Christmas album from a few years back is very good as well! She seems like an old school talent.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Great first episode! Heck, I even enjoyed Kacey Musgraves music.

dlokazip and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. poidog

poidog Senior Member

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Kasey Musgraves' "outfit" during her first song.

j_rocker and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I couldn't tell if the female doctor in the Cologuard parody sketch was Melissa Villasenor or the new girl. I'm guessing the new girl because of the glasses.

dlokazip likes this.
  16. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

There isn't much to comment on, really.

;)

Aardvark23 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. poidog

poidog Senior Member

True. How about those boots!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He was a lot better than Jim Carrey (which is not saying much) and also better than the one shot Alex Moffat took at it last year. Biden seems to be a difficult impression, because the only person I've seen who's done a good one is Dana Carvey:

Johnson has an excellent Trump impression (as I noted upthread). Maybe he can improve his Biden.

kouzie, Tim Lookingbill and dlokazip like this.
  19. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

:agree::thumbsup: Okay...caught all of the clips on youtube, now, minus the political opener; don't care. Enjoyed all the other sketches & weekend update ~ What a phenominal show!!!!!!!! Nice touch on w/e update: Norm McDonald. (R.I.P. :angel:) And, new members, Sarah Sherman & James Austin Johnson, breathing new life into it, too!! The writing was great ~ I even laughed @ Pete Davidson - that's how good!!!!! The NFL "Crazy House promos" had me in side-splitting hysterics! :laugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Kacey Musgaves just released new album, so fitting appearance as musical guest. I do like some new country music & not the country-pop - new, trad. is being made: i.e. Whitney Rose, Jaime Wyatt... Otherwise, more into americana artists: Amanda Shires, Sarah Jarosz, Molly Tuttle & genre-bending. If they're going by popularity, maybe they'll get on-the-ball & get Waxahatchee (Katie Crutchfield) on this season. I know I was stunned (& pleasantly so!) that she made an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel earlier this year. Her "Saint Cloud" was a top album last year, which she toured by a number of livestreaming events & is currently live touring it. They also need to book Jason Isbell; Chris Stapleton's been on & Sturgill Simpson. Kacey's ok, but y'know the mass mainstream music industry pushes 5-10 who they deem worthy, however they decide (likely $$ maybe it's simply old-school payola, IDK). To date, I wouldn't purchase any of her titles, but I did enjoy her Christmas special a couple of years ago - don't like what she's done to her face...she seems to be leaning into Lana Del Rey territory, both musically & w/fillers? or whatever it is they do to themselves. She's pretty; a shame they seem to see themselves through a very critical & celebrity social customs' filter. :sigh::shrug:

Really terrific season premiere show!!!!!! :D:laugh::righton:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  20. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I've been watching SNL since the very beginning. The last 3 or 4 years have been very hard to sit through. Just not funny and for a old fart like me, the musical guests just haven't been my cup of tea. That being said, that was a very, very good show last night. And that first song by Kacey was excellent not to mention her ...um...costume. The sound guys did a excellent job with the music which has been a big gripe from lots of folks. Well done.

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

TIME did a little piece on Beck’s departure:

When Beck Bennett walked out onto the Saturday Night Live stage in May in a Vin Diesel skull cap, he knew it might be his last time there as a cast member. Bennett was there to anchor the season’s last skit: a spoof of Diesel’s recent AMC commercial, in which he listed an increasingly outlandish list of reasons to go to the movies in a husky growl (“The music … the heavy doors … the pre-show video where you’re on a rollercoaster”). As Bennett delivered his lines to raucous laughter, he saw his wife sitting in the front row and SNL creator Lorne Michaels grinning next to the cue cards—a moment that he says felt prescient.

“It really felt like the universe was telling me, ‘This is in fact time for you to leave. You’re not gonna do better than this,’” Bennett tells TIME in a phone interview on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, SNL announced that Bennett would not be a part of the cast of its 47th season, which begins on Saturday. Bennett, who was on the show for eight seasons, is now living in Los Angeles, where he says he plans to stay full time to focus on new projects and be near his wife and friends. “It’s been eight years of basically long distance with my wife, and if we are going to start a family at any point, I think we have to start that at some point soon,” he says.

Beck Bennett On Leaving SNL And His 5 Favorite Sketches

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t know why, exactly, but the Jeff Bezos Star Trek parody made me fall out of my chair because I was laughing so hard.

Some of the other material was pretty weak, though. I love Cecily, Aidy, and Ego, but the parody of the View that opened the skits was WTF-level bad. Ego’s Update skit was pretty funny, but Pete Davidson’s “Hi, I’m Pete Davidson” act is wearing thin. I wish he had gotten the axe.

Not a huge fan of Kacey’s new album, but it was good to see her as the musical guest.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

I was funny and worthy of parody, but couldn't help but think Amazon paid for that sketch. I also think Elon Musk paid for his hosting duties. Colbert Report admitted on his old show 12-14 years ago that was a thing - do a 4 min bit clearly featuring product/service and writers have free license if it gets past Lorne. CR got $2,500 every time they mentioned BING search engine on their show for 1 week and he got very silly with it.

I'm fully aware TV has done this for well over 50 years, but SNL is a distinctive case where then content/advertising divide gets very blurry.

I smirked at the new Bond in theaters ad, during SNL season 47 opener. Daniel Craig promoted the same movie on SNL in Season 45.

2 new cast members had their debuts in that sketch and you can see them hi-five when they had a glimpse of crowd/set. I think all cast members were on the show this week.

Count me as another one with zero interest in recurring Biden sketches from anybody.

24. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Yeah, Jason Isbell deserves a slot. I’d also love to see Keb Mo get a slot.

25. SoundAdvice

The Pretty Reckless are my pick for an SNL slot as they did a great album, 3 great music videos but haven't done any kind of proper live performance in a couple years other than some ZOOM acoustic duets.