Saw the "In-Laws", sounds pretty good!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elton, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool Thread Starter

Last Saturday I took my mother to see the "In-Laws" because she likes Albert Brooks (Mother), Micheal Douglas and the original movie with Peter Faulk and Alan Arkin. The movie is a solid Albert Brook movie, smart dry with word play and sarcasm. Micheal Douglas is in his "Romancing the Stone" style. If you like Brooks you'll like this movie. My mother said it's a really good "Nice" movie (Not a waste of money, if you like grown humor).

NOW! for the music! There was a lot of it! Three song were played in full! The Bee Gees "My Wedding" and the McCartney "A Love For You" (A nice 50's feel rocker) at the end credits and Badfinger's "No Matter What" and what appears to be a new or different studio version of "Live & Let Die" in the action parts of the movie. The Maca song " I'm Carrying" was used nicely but not that long. K.C. and the Sunshine Band appeared in a cameo with "Get Down Tonight ". Most of the other song in the movie are used for effect or a joke, but you can't hate a comedy that uses this music and goes from a "lost McCartney song to the "Gopher Mambo" by Yma Sumac. Maybe this is not the first "Go See" movie of the summer, but this is the first "Go Buy" soundtrack of the summer!!

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I thought the opening wasn't till 5/23? I can't wait to see the movie, I loved the original with Alan Arkin and Peter Falk.

3. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

I AGREE with Tom--the original was one of the great "sleeper" comedies. Falk is vastly underrated as a comedic actor. The music sounds interesting, but it's rare that remakes rise above the original.

In this case, it's sort of odd that they remake it so soon.

The music sounds interesting and beyond the normal rote-monkey approach to pop soundtracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.