Scammers on ebay

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Speedycat69, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut Thread Starter

The buyers location says china uk addy is a lock up facility . Using abusive language now .

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you ship it through the eBay global shipping program, once the item reaches the US distribution center, you're off the hook for any loss package or any package that's damaged in the process of delivery.

You also can't be charged for a unpaid duties.

So if the buyer says it didn't get there or that it arrived crushed, they have to take it up with the global shipping program.

who the global shipping program uses in each country is probably specific for that country. I just like the fact that once I get it to their distribution center in the US I'm done.

dasacco likes this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

How much is an LP to the U.K. GSP? To protect from Paypal reversal it is $16 for a tracking number USPS on top pf $24 postage, sometime customs numbers get hit to the U.K. destination.

4. Ludwig Vancouver

Ludwig Vancouver Active Member

I quit Ebay because of this and moved to Etsy. I recommend them to all vinyl sellers. Far lower fees, you can post short videos easy and far more reasonable and human customer service. Ebay customer Service are all foreign and hate American Sellers. Its like they all got rejected by INS.

jamesc likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've had my issues with eBay. But this is not my experience.

E.Baba likes this.
  6. Speedycat69

Not heard the decision by paypal yet . His small amount of feedbacks awful, his addys bit dodgy , strange messages before buying my item and aggresive and bad language message to me . So all points to paypal backing him lol

Ludwig Vancouver likes this.
  7. Ludwig Vancouver

Ludwig Vancouver Active Member

Global shipping program isnt available in Canada.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I never had to make a directly claim to GSP for a damage package (never had one go missing). I went through the usual claim process. Perhaps GSP offers you insurance against that but as far as claims go, it's the same process on my end. Either you refund me or I ask PayPal to get involved. What you do on your end to get covered is something I wouldn't get involved in.

USPS offers insurance anyway so if it's lost or damaged and you send with appropriate coverage it's covered. Although, I can see that perhaps the paper work under GSP is much easier to deal with. But in any case, coverage exists so I don't see much of a difference in that regard.

The GSP charges the buyer local taxes automatically so there can never be any unpaid duties under that program.

Unpaid duties - not sure where you got the idea that unpaid duties would be billed to the seller but they aren't. The buyer is liable for those and local customs offices don't send a bill to the seller while the PO delivers the package to the buyer. If the buyer doesn't pay up, he doesn't get the package. There might be a risk that the buyer won't pay the fees and the item is returned to you, so I appreciate that risk is eliminated but I don't think that's a big risk anyway.

I appreciate the GSP might give sellers a sense of security (which I think is largely false, especially since they open the package before forwarding it to the buyer and they rarely reseal it properly). I can understand that sellers save some time as they avoid going to the post office and standing in line and maybe there's less paperwork involved.

IMO, it was mostly introduced because American sellers are often reluctant to sell outside the US and of course so eBay and Pitney Bowes can make a brokerage fee on the local duties and taxes, which, they never really show you how they calculate, which is total bs.

Ludwig Vancouver likes this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Prepare yourself...as Etsy gets bigger, that human customer service you love will change. It's inevitable.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You previously posted that you did send this with tracking and the tracking shows it was delivered. If you haven't inputed the tracking number into the PayPal transaction, do so. That way PayPal have it. Also, since it was delivered and you have proof, call PayPal. This happened to me once (though I was returning an item). I waited and waited. Eventually, I called PayPal and asked, what the hold up was. They sorted it out right away. So call them, tell them you are wondering what the next step is or how long it will take for them to make a decision in lieu of the fact that the tracking shows it was delivered. Just be nice to them as that goes further than not being nice.

If the buyer is a *****, he'll have sent the abusive messages via the PayPal claim system which they will see. If so, that benefits you.

Get ahead of this. If you provided tracking details to PayPal they can see it was delivered and they should close this case in your favour. Don't wait for them to do something dumb.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Good luck. An insurance claim for international shipping through USPS is a s--t show on steroids. You might get paid, but you could be dead first.
    Nope, wrong. Send an item via FedEx or UPS internationally and they (or their agent) will make a "best effort" to collect duties. But for many countries that basically amounts to delivering the item and asking the buyer to pay the duties. But if the buyer doesn't pay, then, fine, FedEx or UPS will come back and charge you, the seller, those duties (plus, often, a service charge). Which is why I stated that you only want to ship from the US via USPS. In that case, you can't ever be charged for unpaid duties--no matter what happens at the receiving end.
    If the buyer opens a case for a damaged delivery or a missing delivery, that is intercepted by GSP, and the seller might not ever see it at all. I've had that happen. (Buyer complained, I told them to to open a case, the case was intercepted by eBay/GSP and I never had to do a thing).
    For sure. eBay/PB make some good money on the system. Fine with me. I wouldn't be offering a lot of this stuff internationally at all, otherwise. The buyer can decide if the costs are worth it. It's not ideal for the buyer, but nothing about international shipping for small sellers is ideal.

SJP likes this.
  12. Speedycat69

Ill give paypal a call , hard getting through to them prob

13. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

There's a lot of automated message robots to go through before you get to a human being at PayPal, but the two or three times I've contacted them, the humans have been very helpful and solved the problem quickly. Remain calm and nice and don't get upset and they'll help you. PayPal probably has the best customer service of all the big corporations who I've dealt with - though to be fair, that's not a lot, and most of them were insurance places, where they specifically don't want to help you.

Explain to them that this buyer purchased something from you and provided a shady address in a completely different part of the world than their account showed. The tracking shows that the item was delivered to that location, but the buyer demanded a refund anyway. The buyer then began verbally attacking you in a very unprofessional manner. Their feedback suggests that this is not the first time that they have done this.

Unfortunately, eBay will almost always side with the buyer. I recall someone on here stated that they talked to an eBay representative who cheerfully said that the buyer can literally return anything and eBay will refund their money - to the point that the person asked if the return package could be filled with feces, and the eBay rep said that yes, it could. Some customer service! PayPal is much more likely to side with you. Just be nice and explain the situation calmly and I'm sure it will be fine.

Speedycat69 likes this.
  14. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

eBait shipping costs are outragious - I often purchase supplements from a big seller in the USA and depedning on the amount I buy I get charged between $4 and $8 (US) to get it shipped to New Zealand. Seems I have stumbled on a new service by Fedex - CBEC Cross Border Economy, got charged $6.98 to have 6 tubes shipped to me by tube depot. Another vendor charged me $35 for two tubes (the seller with the cheap freight did not have them) and another quoted me $64. ePray charges are up with the latter.

I remember the days that the commision from oBoy were peanuts, now it gets towards daylight robbery, I have started to avoid purchasing from eBait whenever I can.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

20 years ago, the was a small flat rate envelope you could ship anywhere in the world via priority mail for $5 flat rate. Or you could use the small USPS box and ship that anywhere in the world for $10 flat rate.

Those days are gone. And it's not eBay's fault. They don't set postal rates.

no.nine likes this.
  16. AmadeusMozart

AmadeusMozart Forum Resident

Big companies like Amazon, iHerb etc. negotiate substantial discounts. I'm sure eBay gets substantial discounts too, we need only to look at what happened when eBay acquired PayPal - PayPal rates shot up. And the commision rate is also gone through the roof., I remember the days when it was a lot less like about 2% of sale price.

17. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I sold a $40 record and made an error with the tracking #. Buyer said he never got it and pushed hard for a refund. I found the receipt and updated the tracking which confirmed delivery. The buyer replied right away “my bad, I found it.” Scammers have no morals.

SJP likes this.
  18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I had not thought about this, but it might be another reason ebay is trying to cut paypal out of the equation.

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I think they just want ALL the fees for themselves. I don't think they're actively trying to destroy their own user base. They're just too stupid to change their policies to something that won't drive them all away.

20. Speedycat69

Well as the date of the resolution kept being moved back , so as someone mentioned give paypal a phone and it would be prob be sorted there and then. Well it was case went in my favour , so i think paypal are seeing a hell of a lot of chancers and scammers trying it on now. She could see it was delivered etc by tracking number. Sellers have a leg to stand on now .

jamesc likes this.
  21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Hey CraigC, if I had a dollar for every "I never got it" to "Uhhhh, I juss got it...ummmm it was placed somewhere else" I'd have lots of dollar bills. All scammers. Thieves. I put rockets in their pockets (Gotti '88 line) and they collapse. Getting worse.

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear it worked out for you!

I used to sell stuff on eBay all the time and never really ran into issues with buyers. I also sold a few things sporadically on Amazon Marketplace. I'd sell a few things at a time and it all went smoothly. Then after a year or so hiatus I put up about ten random items on Amazon Marketplace. All sold pretty quickly but I ran into issues with five of the sales. One person claimed they didn't receive their item but I had proof of delivery. It was strange to me how quickly it turned into a haven for scammers. I ended up having Amazon side with me in all cases but it was a stressful few weeks and it sounds like I got lucky compared to a lot of sellers. I haven't sold anything on either platform since, about five years now. I'd like to sell again but it's not worth it when half the sales became a hassle.

23. Speedycat69

Can imagine hell try it on with a chargeback thing now . Been put off ebay for awhile now .the paypal woman was great anyway

Dave and jamesc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.