Scarecrow Of Romney Marsh DVD delayed by "Batman Begins"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

According to this excellent website, Walt Disney's The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh Buena Vista was supposed to announce a release date for this classic Patrick McGoohan trilogy this week.

The theory is: the DR. SYN, ALIAS THE SCARECROW DVD was pulled from the August, 2004 lineup in order to instead release it to stores just before the new BATMAN BEGINS movie is released to theaters - in June, 2005.

The advantage of a May, 2005 DR. SYN release would be: Warner Bros. will generate a lot of hype for the villain in BATMAN BEGINS - "Dr. Crane" alias "The Scarecrow" - and interest in Warner's doctor-alias-scarecrow character might spill over to Disney's doctor-alias-scarecrow character. (Or at least lead the less-informed BATMAN fans to purchase the DR. SYN, ALIAS THE SCARECROW disc, because they will mistakenly think there is some connection between the two characters.)

In the DVD industry, this is known as "synergy with upcoming theatrical releases," and it is something that every DVD marketing department wants - no matter how much of a stretch a connection might be. (Or, to put it another way, no matter how much a marketing strategy might depend on consumer ignorance. We have all fallen for look-alike products at one time or another.)

I missed The Beatles first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show because I was watching The Scarecrow on The Wonderful World of Disney .

Attached Files:

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, while we are all waiting for the marketing synergy, Disney has just released a very nice looking DVD of the Patrick McGoohan-starring film "The Three Lives of Thomasina" to keep us distracted. I can neither confirm nor deny whether "...Thomasina" was delayed in order to come hot on the tail of the recent "Garfield" movie. :D

3. stereoptic

:laugh: :laugh:

at least I 'm not the only one who sees a conspiracy here!

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

That scarecrow looks scary.

5. stereoptic

yes, but he was a "good guy"!

6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Do we know for sure that it has definitely been postponed or is it just rumor at this point? I've been waiting for this all year! I used to love this as a kid. :)

7. stereoptic

I'm not sure, if you check that web site they based their dates on Amazon.com release dates. Also, there is a petition there for those who want to send Disney the message that there is interest in this release.

8. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Are we sure about that...? I could have nightmares just watching those pictures! :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.