Scariest Scenes in Non-Horror, Non-Monster Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Large Marge!

JediJones likes this.
  2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yeah, those farm boys didn't see what was coming and they certainly weren't prepared for the trauma during WWII. The PBS doc , "I Danced For The Angel Of Death" is an account of a young woman surviving the Nazi concentration camps where she indicates during the long interview one of those American farm boy soldiers was so traumatized by what he saw in these camps that he made an attempt to rape her after she was freed from these camps just to let off steam where she had to plead and yell out she was still a virgin and wanted to remain so. The farm boy soldier felt so bad he turned away in frustration and shot his rifle into the wall and walked away. Instant PTSD on a bizarre level.

An amazingly detailed documentary on the Holocaust.

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I knew of three (mainstream) movies in the '70s that were renowned for having paying customers running from the theater: JAWS, ALIEN and my favorite of the bunch, MARATHON MAN:

[​IMG]

"Is it safe?"

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  4. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Googled him - yep, that's the kid!

Oatsdad likes this.
  5. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Aargh. I already have a phobia about getting dental work. That film didn't help at all. :(

Saint Johnny and JediJones like this.
  6. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

The opening scene is You Only Live Twice where the spacewalking astronaut gets cut adrift when Blofeld's spaceship captures the Gemini capsule freaked me out badly as a kid.

YOLT is one of my favorite Bond films, but I always try and skip that scene if I can.

JediJones likes this.
  7. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Crocodile Dundee - The thong scene, when Dundee is stalking her and the croc comes out to eat her.

8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I didn't think that the Donkey Transformation in Disney's Pinocchio was that scary, but I first saw it as an adult. However, in Pinocchio And The Emperor Of The Night (an unofficial sequel) there's a scene where Pinocchio takes being a real boy for granted and he is forcibly transformed back into a puppet. The scene was very disturbing when I first saw it as an adult and it is still very hard to watch to this day.

9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

There's the scene in Mad Max 2 where the Feral Kid is reaching for the shotgun shell on the hood of the semi-truck, and gets a nasty surprise. Makes me jump every time I watch it (and the times I have seen it have been numerous).

In First Blood, when John Rambo is about to get a shave at the police station, and has the flashback about being cut by a knife.

In Full Metal Jacket, when Private Pyle goes insane at the end of Parris Island segment of the movie.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The ghost in the bull rushes in "The Innocents" still gives me chills and I don't know why seeing it's just a day lit scene of a woman in black.
    The entire tone and subject matter and deafening sporadic silence with no jump scares or closeups of the ghosts in this movie may have something to do with it...

[​IMG]
    I'm getting chills right now just looking at this still.

11. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

:agree: Just re-watched The Innocents again yesterday, and agree it is quite chilling, but in an intelligent thought provoking way, unlike so many slasher horror films. Truly an excellent motion picture all around, and I wouldn't be surprised if that image may have indirectly inspired this also unsettling album cover, which I think perfectly evokes the music within:

[​IMG]

While more sad perhaps than scary, this entire sequence from Bambi always puts me on edge, especially that bit around the 2:00 minute mark in the below clip where Bambi's father suddenly appears out of nowhere, which makes me gasp just like Bambi does:

I don't think male deer actually kill their own young, but some animals certainly do, and the father character had been definitely distant with an aura of danger about him throughout the movie, which made his appearance here feel not so comforting as maybe it should have. Hardly "G" rated fare, indeed, but of course this was long before those MPAA ratings came into being.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  12. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Ha.....yeah Keaton has given us a few "unintended nightmares":whistle:

13. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Yeah, great choice. What an amazing movie. Maybe the greatest horror movie of all time.

14. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

This whole piece will definitely give you a feeling :whistle:

[​IMG]

15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The scene preceding Carlo’s ‘exit’ in The Godfather: it’s horrible, because you sense Michael is softening him up for a nasty ending.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes, the original Vanishing. Don’t think I care to watch that one again.

Karnak likes this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I left the cinema just before Jodie Foster was gang-raped in The Accused, and returned when I could be reasonably sure her ordeal was over.

18. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I found almost the entirety of Everest to be scary and gut wrenching.
    Especially since I knew the basic story before I saw the film. I've only ever seen it once. I have no desire to revisit it again.
    One of the few films I've ever seen that gave me nightmares, afterwards.

And Deliverance also has a menacing creepy vibe all through it, from the very first scene right up to the end.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I've had 2 different dentists comment to me about this scene to over the years since it's release. LOL Neither were complimentary.

20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I was traumatized when "man was in the forest" in Bambi. Traumatized I tell ya!

Robert Mitchum in Night Of The Hunter chasing those kids was scary, too.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The trash compactor scene in Toy Story 3... in the movie theatre.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think you mean "he", no? :D

[​IMG]

The Hud likes this.

23. Technically I don't know if this has monsters or not but...

24. Hershey

Hershey I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane

25. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The scene in the original Planet of the Apes when the spaceship crashes & the woman astronaut is discovered dead scared the heck out of me when I was a kid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.