Scarlett Johansson sues Disney over streaming release of "Black Widow"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

she needs to ash dishes for a few days in a hot kitchen...

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. Michael

my wife and I both thought it was horrible...we couldn't wait for it to be OVER..

GullGutt and alexpop like this.
  3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Mad Dog, davenav, The Hud and 3 others like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Good for her! Star power!!!!!

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm glad she got the money, but I was really hoping she would take them into the courtroom, and get one of these contracts entered into evidence. Settling is not winning - changing the game would be winning.

maui jim, budwhite and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Disney is painfully aware they screwed this up, and they never, never, never should have tried to renege on a deal with the top star of a major film, particularly one represented by Bryan Lourd of CAA. And they way overstepped their bounds when they reacted with hostility and released her compensation information, with (traditionally) is never disclosed. The fact that it even got three months into a major lawsuit is a huge embarrassment and a misstep. I think this is a mistake they won't make again.

Smokin Chains and Mad Dog like this.
  8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Deadline says they estimate she got $40 million.

I think enough articles have said that contracts are going to be written differently from this point on to avoid these situations. Whether that would've happened anyway, I don't know, but this definitely should've helped motivate the studios in that regard.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I was pretty close -- they're saying this:

As is almost always the case in cases like this, neither side gave any indication of how much money was involved in the settlement. However, when all is said and done, the deal will run to more than $40 million, sources tell me. Accordingly, the funds will not be paid by Disney in a single lump sum, if you pick up the creative accounting I’m putting down.

Disney & Scarlett Johansson Resolve ‘Black Widow’ Profits Lawsuit – Deadline

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Finally saw this on Disney+

Black Widow is imo the worst Marvel film yet. I liked Captain Marvel and Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 were watchable. Black Widow though was a mess. The best thing about it was the comedy dialogue in places. It seemed like David Harbour and Florence Pugh thought they were in a comedy, which was news to the rest of the cast I think. If it had been a comedy it would have been ok but alas dumb villain played badly, stupid plot choices and really bad writing. Black Widow has no superpowers yet she can survive the impossible it seems with barely a scratch. Cars getting blown up, crushed and what not, falling from the sky as a massive structure is destroyed.

It's like what made the Marvel films great was the degree of verisimilitude. This just throws everything out of the window.

Plus they like kill loads of innocent Russian prison guards and prisoners in just a throwaway way at the start.

4/10

maui jim likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I thought Black Widow was better than all the MCU movies where the Avengers end up fighting each other and there is no real villain. The Russian bad guy who had thought control over the elite female assassins was a more worthy villain than that of most other MCU films, and it puts Black Widow on par with Iron Man 2 for me.

Black Widow is partially a commentary on family. Even though the Russian family was fake and each member was unrelated to the other, they ended up being real -- at least to Natasha's "sister" if not to Natasha herself -- because it was the only family they ever knew. I found the family dynamics humorous and interesting, and on second viewing I thought the Don McLean song was a good choice. Possibly a brilliant choice given how it was reprised by Harbour and Pugh.

Verisimilitude is never a word I would use with MCU. This had no more or less believability than any other MCU film. Regarding the Russian prison being buried in an avalanche, tens of millions of gulag prisoners in Russia only wish they could have had such an easy death.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

BUT...if you used it in SCRABBLE, YOU'D be the hero!!!

carrick doone and brownie61 like this.
  13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That would be a neat trick since you can only put down 7 letters!

brownie61 likes this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

GregM likes this.
  15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Good for Scarjo. This will probably be her last big check.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, she's already got 3 more movies lined up for the next 2 years, according to IMDB.

17. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

I'm glad for her, she deserved it, and that's regardless if some people think it was the worst MCU movie or at the bottom of the barrel.
    The point is it was her as the lead and disney never as far as we know tho now can pretty much believe that they didn't approach her for any kind of compensation agreement with it going straight to streaming upon theatrical release day, even if they did there is no way of telling if a family of 2,3,4 or groups of friends got together to enjoy a movie night, all they could (Disney) provide would be streaming sales , so how can anyone tell how many lost ticket sales per person are in that equation.
    Bad deal all around and obviously a bad contract or settlement would never have happened. They didn't even have Disney+ at time of deal of movie contract as far as I know. That was low for a pro all company to do.

Again ones opinions of the film are completely irrelevant, it's a contract and major/impossible accounting error.
    I can think of plenty movies not marvel that were very successful but imo totally sucked, though that is and was not even a point of stance here.
    Some people though will find anyway to justify a point of view that they find important or their opinion.
    She got jipped and apparently it was evident and true. So there is no basis for opinions, unless you want to go up against her legal team, pipe down or go for it.
    End of a story of being ripped off proven or not wanting to be.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But she doesn't talk about the settlement at all or the terms of the contract, lawsuit or the settlement. She simply says it was a stressful time, that she was standing up for what she feels is right, and others in the future and had support for fellow actors. No mention of any details, so she would not be breaking any NDA for discussing her life and how she felt about the movie and the work involved, that it was a very positive experience. I wish she was disclosing what really happened and how much they paid her as they caved.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Super Hero upgrade.
    Ditching Black Widow for a better character.
    Chris Evans did alright leaving the human torch for Captain America.

JediJones likes this.
  21. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

In addition to those that are already on the board. It might be done!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think she says more than I expected her to. Clearly the precise conditions are guarded... but she got the money.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Michael

wow...and the power. ' )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.