DCC Archive SCD-1, SCD-777ES & SCD-XA777ES question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

I know this isn't a hardware forum (maybe I should post on the stevehoffman.tv site when it is up and running again :) ) but I would appreciate the views of anyone on the forum who has heard/owns any of these players (Steve - you've got the SCD-777ES, right?).

So, I am considering moving up to a better CD source. I'm interested in the SCD-1 and have a few questions:

1) Is it any better than the SCD-777ES? (I won't be using the balanced outputs in the near future...)

2) In CD playback - how does it compare to the competition in its price range (say $3000 - $5000)?

3) Does the new multichannel SCD-XA777ES compare at all to the SCD-1 or the SCD-777ES?

4) In SACD playback is there any competition in its price range?

5) How does the Marantz SA-1 compare?

Thanks for your input.....

2. feinstein

feinstein Member

Originally posted by Malc S:
    I am considering moving up to a better CD source. I'm interested in the SCD-1 and have a few questions:

1) Is it any better than the SCD-777ES? (I won't be using the balanced outputs in the near future...)

I have had both since the day they came onto the market in the U.S. I kept the SCD-1. In A/B testing on both CD's and SACD's after 200 hour burn-in, they are identical (when not using the balanced outputs). I would stick with the SCD-777 since it can be had at bargain prices these days (in the U.S. at least).

2) In CD playback - how does it compare to the competition in its price range (say $3000 - $5000)?

The most important thing that I can say about the SCD-1/777 is that they are very REVEALING decks in terms of CD playback (SACD is harder to compare with other decks since there are few of them out there). In other words, when playing back poorly mastered CD's, you'll REALLY hear it, on great CD's, you'll be amazed. You've got to take off the "cut-off" plate in order to fully realize the revelations about your CD collection that this deck witll give you. The ergonomics of these decks is fairly poor (it takes 45 seconds to start playing a disc! The slowness of the sliding door gets annoying after a while). But the sound is glorious on really good material.

3) Does the new multichannel SCD-XA777ES compare at all to the SCD-1 or the SCD-777ES?

I can't comment on this since I only have a stereo system and haven't heard the newer decks.

4) In SACD playback is there any competition in its price range?

Don't know. Haven't heard any other SACD decks.

5) How does the Marantz SA-1 compare?

Never heard it.

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I've had the 777 for a year now. Bought one of the last ones before it was discontinued. I love it. Sorry, can't give you any comparisons. It does take a while to load but since I like to listen to a whole SACD/CD at a time it doesn't bother me. The only annoying thing is, if you play a hybrid SACD after playing a CD it stays in CD mode. Its funny when this happens because I think - gee, that SACD doesn't sound as good as I remember! Then I realize what happened, stop, hit the SACD button and play again.

Also, it reads cd-r's fine but once when I tried a cd-rw, it wouldn't read it.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

That's because the player doesn't have a chip inside that allows CD-RW's to be read. It has to be labeled CD-R/CD-RW compatible in order for you to play CD-RW's.

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies - I've posted this topic over at stevehoffman.tv now. I guess its time to move over there....

See you on the other side :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.