Schiit Audio CDT "URD"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fredtones, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Fredtones

Fredtones drumtones Thread Starter

Had an email from Schiit Audio today suggesting that this model may not be released.
    Thoughts and experiences please...

2. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

I would love it they would release it at about 600$.

Fredtones likes this.
  3. Fredtones

IF they do it'll be at least double that, but for quality I wouldn't mind.

4. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

May not be released?

5. Fredtones

Yep :mudscrying:so i'm looking elsewhere now. Pity if it doesn't; would fit well with my existing gear.

6. Philip DiGennaro

Philip DiGennaro Forum Resident

I hate the name of this company and probably would never buy any of their products, although they seem to provide great value for the money. Now they're possibly coming out with the CDT URD? I prefer to skip the bathroom humor while deciding on which audio component I purchase.

John3655, Benzion, TwiceFan and 4 others like this.
  7. Signed DG

Signed DG Dune buggy rentals

Hmm Schiit gets a lot of criticism for its puerile brand name, but Topping does the same thing and nobody says a word!

8. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Urd is from Norse mythology. Urd is one of the Norns that decides the fates of people. Norse mythology is often used as a naming convention in Schiit Audio gear.

dunkyboy, Swann36, addicted2 and 15 others like this.
  9. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

This is disappointing news. I felt like this unit would/could be a good alternative of something between the Audiolab 6000CDT and Jays Transport.

wgb113, Naka9 and Fredtones like this.
  10. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Would you be so kind as to paste the contents of the email? I’ve been curious about this product for a few years and it that would certainly be disappointing.

11. Philip DiGennaro

Philip DiGennaro Forum Resident

Oh, I get it. The Norse god of T-URD.

12. Fredtones

Could you explain that?

Signed DG likes this.
  13. Fredtones

They have taken too long. I have lost interest in them because of this.

14. Fredtones

No; I wouldn't want t get the individual into trouble.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

I don't understand the comment either. Now if he said Bottlehead in place of Topping, I'd get it.

jonwoody likes this.
  16. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I wouldn't dismiss their gear, due to a silly name. It's quite good sounding, regardless of price. o_O

dunkyboy, addicted2, bdfin and 11 others like this.
  17. Signed DG

18. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

The name _is_ silly - agree on that. And I thought - initially - it was a some sort of German translation screw up. They're actually an interesting company - recommend the Schiit Story to get the down low on the name an their products. I now own three pieces from Schiit - good budget stuff that is so reasonably priced it is hard to say no. Friend of mine has one of their headphone amps and he says it reminds him of the First Watt Aleph J, one of my favorite SS amps.

Chrispdx and aunitedlemon like this.
  19. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Maybe it was to be as interesting as the SOL turntable, which is no longer available!

We need some proper reasonable priced CD transports back on the market but perhaps not such a experimental one.

What we need has to have:
    - good build with damped case (simple to do)
    - regular size (not miniature gear like the Nuforce)
    - reliable CD-audio mechanism (with spares guaranteed for years) with a proper isolation (like the moon audio “gel” system)
    - AES/EBU, BNC and I2S digital outputs (this last one is missing from the majority of cd transports)
    - well designed power supply, isolated from the rest of the circuit boards
    - simple design with quality parts
    - good dimension display with the “dim and turn off” options from the remote

olman and Fredtones like this.
  20. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Part of what appealed to me about this unit was also the size: big enough to not feel like a toy but relatively inconspicuous on a rack. As Schiit has mentioned previously, the gungnir/ freya case form factor is very popular with users.

Signed DG and Dignan2000 like this.
  21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The problem is that you've imputed to Topping - a Chinese company with no knowledge of primarily American language memes and narrowly construed sexual deviate jargon - a definition that the company has never used or implied in any of its product marketing or product descriptions. Topping is a Chinglish product name used to denote or imply being better than competing products - rising above them or topping them. Nobody but you - in this thread or any other on SHF or anywhere else - has ever called into question the Topping name.

Schiit Audio, in stark contrast, deliberately plays up its brand name that was chosen specifically to be mildly provocative and incautious and blah, blah, blah. It's no longer any of those things - it's just boring.

I think the bigger problem Schiit Audio faces has nothing to do with its name, but rather too many product SKUs to maintain.

Swann36, IRG, TarnishedEars and 13 others like this.
  22. Signed DG

Humour, my friend, humour…

dunkyboy, MGW, JohnCarter17 and 4 others like this.
  23. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I came here to state that that is a lot of acronyms OP.
    Cheers

Fredtones likes this.
  24. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

25. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

I have a small pile of Schiit on my desk. :laugh::laugh: Sorry. It will never get old to me.
    Seriously, I think it's good stuff. Love that it's made in USA and it's relatively inexpensive.
    The transport would have been cool.