Schiit Audio Syn

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by velo_TX, Mar 31, 2023.

1. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

I just come from the Involve website and got the impression it's so much like the SYN.

2. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I Thread Starter

Yup, looks like Schiit has consolidated their recent products that has USB to utilize Type C connectors.
    I take it you're using three NHT SuperZeros for L-C-R? A quick look at the specs for both gen 1 and 2.1 versions shows they're 8 ohms nominal for both, with 2.1 having 4.3 ohms minimum. Since you're using these smallish speakers, your room's probably not huge...SuperZero 2.1 is spec'd with a sensitivity of 87db...If you're not into driving your cillias flat. you could become a Schiit fanboy and run three Schiit Gjallarhorns in mono, or perhaps a Vidar 2 for L & R (plenty of reserve if you do) and a Gjallarhorn for the C. :)

lostinpr likes this.
  3. velo_TX

...knobs look tighty spaced, Syn's layout is better IMO...kinda like same result, different technology...I wonder if they digitize the signal path versus Schiit's operation in the analog realm - from Involve: "Processing Sample Rate: 24-bit 48kHz | real-time zero delay processing".

lostinpr likes this.
  4. velo_TX

@lostinpr, to update my thoughts on possibly using Gjallarhorns, check out the SHMF thread new Schiit Amp, the Gjallarhorn. Speaker impedance and amp matching can be a tricky thing; if one's going to use a stereo power amp that can be operated in mono, better be certain the speaker used doesn't swing below the suggested impedance across the board.

lostinpr likes this.
  5. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

yeah, I thought it is all analog but you point out some digital processing, very simple the hardware but an expensive solution imo.

6. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

Indeed my listening space is half of a 22 x 12 living room, and living in a condo I have to be courteous with my listening levels. I'm sure the Gjallahorn can do the job both in mono for the C and in stereo for the fronts. Maybe I could even try first the Rekker for the C.

velo_TX likes this.
  7. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

What are the symptoms of an incorrectly paired amp and speaker "impedancewise"?

8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

It is a pricey unit compared to the Syn. My hope of reading comparisons may be futile since owners of one device may not feel the need to purchase the other for comparison purposes. Hopefully Edison Baggins, the influencer at Life In Surround and a heavy presence at the quad forums will get his hand on a Syn since he has had a SM v3 for a couple of years now.

I just have DPLII for upmixed stereo and if I try and improve on that technology, I only want to try and do it once, ya know? Both are a relatively expensive sidestep, but there are very few reviews on how either unit sound different than DPLII or Dolby Surround. It just seems mostly theoretical or assumptive at this stage.

lostinpr and velo_TX like this.
  9. velo_TX

Generally speaking, audible distortion, amp might not produce enough output for the speaker at certain frequencies and/or the desired sound level; amp goes into clipping; amplifier’s protection circuitry (if any) kicks in (if at all).

lostinpr likes this.
  10. velo_TX

Since you’re using DPLII and/or Dolby Surround, you probably have an AVR, so you’re already invested in multi-channel. If you want to see how old-fashioned ambiance extraction compares with what Dolby and/or DTS has created I suppose you could get a matrix box like the Chase HTS-1, or Dynaco QD-1 or Quadapter, on eBay, or the like, to experiment; the outlay should be great, if that’s important. Sure will be a lot of reconfiguration and wiring though, and determination if your amps can handle those boxes.

lostinpr likes this.
  11. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

What kind of decoder do you use for DPLII?
    I think Dolby Pro Logic came about in the 90s; when I got my first AVR in 1999 it decoded DD and DTS, so before that I didn't use DPL, just the Dynaco QD-1 II.
    Do you remember how surround sound evolved in those years, that is, after the Hafler circuit and matrix surround?
    Thanks!

12. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

Thanks!
    What does your setup consist of?

13. Kristofa

My DPLII resides in my quite old Denon AVR-3808ci. In the aughts, I didn’t use DPLII for music and only listened in stereo. I tried it with my Denon 3805 in 2005 but didn’t think much of it. I didn’t start listening to multichannel music and/or upmixed stereo until around 2012 when I got my first Oppo and could play my mch SACDs with that same Denon AVR-3805. Now I have the Denon AVR-3808ci in the listening room for all mch files and upmixed stereo fed from Roon (see my profile for system). I have a Marantz SR7013 with Dolby Surround, but that is hooked up to the TV in a different room so it doesn’t count. ;)

So no, I wasn’t listening to matrix surround before DPLII.

lostinpr likes this.
  14. velo_TX

Ooops; I meant to say “should not be great”! Like no more than $50-90 USD. No way I’d pay more for a box of wires, switches or buttons, and pots.

lostinpr and Kristofa like this.
  15. Kristofa

I appreciate the suggestions. Though like I said upstream, I really only want to upgrade a stereo upmixing device once and not experiment a bunch. I like DPLII but was intrigued by what the Syn could potentially improve on and learned about the MS v3 from the quad forums and think that might be a better route. I just haven't heard either one... and it seems a lot of SHF members haven't either.

I like Schiit and support them, but I am not going to buy into their hyperbole with this device and want to hear more practical impressions by fans of upmixed stereo before moving beyond DPLII.

lostinpr likes this.
  16. velo_TX

No prob!
    You can see what I have in my profile, nothing too great compared to the rigs of some folks in the Forum. I used to have a HK AVR635, but moved on from it because it didn’t do >24/96, DSD, or HDMI. Loved my Magnepan MMGs that I still have, but my current audio room’s too small for them. And prior to the HK AVR635, a HK AVR320 and Pioneer Elite xxxx (don’t remember the model number), both bequeathed to my daughters for their use now. Before all those AVR units I used a HK 620 integrated amp with a Chase HTS-1, Infinity Reference ELs for L&R and Minimus 7s for surrounds.

lostinpr likes this.
  17. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

Four or five YouTubers have talked about the SYN but none has reviewed the actual use of it.

Kristofa likes this.
  18. velo_TX

I hear ya. As much as I like the concept of not messing around with the source signals, and I’ve used matrix surround in the past (thank you David Hafler), what I hear from DPLII and DTS I like very much; the ambiance derived from them suits my taste. I really like that Dolby built in greater adjustability with DPLII, of the sort that Stoddard built into the Syn; see if your Denon has that and try it if you have done so already.
    Again, I got what I want already…although a Mani 2, Syn, Sys, Gjallerhorn, and Vidar 2 setup to go with my MMGs (and future LRS+?), Fluance surrounds would be enticing…uurgh, upgradeitus!!!!

Kristofa and lostinpr like this.
  19. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

- Decent Quality DAC + Preamp for stereo music listening
    - If you add 2 surround speakers and place them right, the surrounds can serve as simple enhancers for your stereo speakers and give you the perception of a deep huge soundfield that crap speakers/placement/room could never provide.
    That is the core use of it...

- Shiit's marketing wants dudes to think (perhaps) that it is also some alternative to 3D object based codecs/pre pros for music, movies, gaming and so on. But, it is not true, i.e., the latter is a notch above.

lostinpr likes this.
  20. lostinpr

lostinpr Active Member

As soon as I saw the ads about Syn, I ordered an ancient matrix surround decoder and there are things I like about it, my last AVRs didn't treat music right.