Schiit Freya+ Tube Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by branden_8091, Feb 16, 2020.

1. branden_8091

branden_8091 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello all!...after much consideration - I've settled on a Schiit Freya+ preamplifier. Right out of the box, one tube was bad and caused some awful static in one channel. Luckily, a local friend had a good Tung-Sol tube that I could swap out with the bad one. I've contacted Schiit and am waiting to hear back about getting new tubes.

So, for now I have 3 of the stock JJ 6SN7 tubes, and one Tung-Sol.

First of all, a question for those who own these: Which pair of tubes (left or right) affects the sound more? I'm not sure I exactly understand the function of a cathode follower output stage (left) or differential voltage gain stage (right).

Secondly, my main question: What tubes sound best in the Freya+? At this point - I'm thinking Electro Harmonix or Tung-Sol. But what about NOS Westinghouse, RCA or GE?

I like very clear bass, if that changes any answers...and my speakers are Focal Aria 936 :)

Thanks!

2. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

From my own experience nos 6sn7 tubes can be a bit of a gamble if you're not buying from a reputable dealer. A lot will be noisy, microphonic, or have other issues. If the amp can use them, I've had really good luck with the new cv-181 variants from shuguang

3. branden_8091

Thanks for the reply. I believe it can use those...will look into them! Luckily, I have a reputable dealer of both NOS and new tubes nearby :)

4. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I'm using a set of Sylvania GT's in the gain (right) side and a pair of Sylvania GTB's in the buffer (left side). These are old, used tubes. Nothing NOS about these. That is, they are not new.

In the Freya since May 2018. They sound great. Coming up on two years of daily service.

sunvalleylaw and branden_8091 like this.
  5. branden_8091

Sweet!...do you know the difference between the GT and GTB? I'm very green in the tube world lol :)

6. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

The GT's are from World War 2. the GTA's followed next then the GTB's in the 1950's.

They don't sound different in any major way if I move them around.

My conclusion is that Sylvania tubes, in general, work well with Freya. I've used this set in both the original Freya and in the Freya+ since May 2108. Great in both pre-amps.

I have a whole bunch of RCA, USA Tung-Sols, Westinghouse, Raytheon etc waiting their turn. But, I see no need to take out the Sylvanias. Just too good.

Dignan2000 and branden_8091 like this.
  7. branden_8091

Gotcha. That's really cool, that something made 70+ years after the war can use parts from that time.

Sylvania is now on my map! :)

CowFish and billnunan like this.
  8. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I had a Freya + for a while, and I wholeheartedly agree on the Sylvanias. Not too expensive; certainly not exotic. But they made an audible change for the better in my modest system.

Dignan2000 and branden_8091 like this.
  9. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Not sure I can be too much help to your question, but I purchased the Schiit Freya+ last fall and mine had come with Tung-Sols (variant?) at that time...(I thought all the Freya+ shipped with Tung-Sol, but apparently no longer?)
    I am interested in what others have to say about tube rolling, but I must say that the Freya+ preamp with the Tung-Sols is probably the best value I've ever purchased in audio. Replaced a great Passive Pre, but I really needed the gain in my system after all.

WRT "clear" bass, I would consider this setup up to the task in my system.
    Some examples off the top of my hear are how the bass is represented with the new Dire Straits mofi 45s (esp. Communique), the Beatles Mono records, and Loreena McKennitt ceedees.

MrTrickle and branden_8091 like this.
  10. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I've only had the Freya+ in my system for a little over a month. I read many comments online about which tubes worked well with this preamp. After doing a lot of reading, I kept seeing GE 6SN7GTB's get mentioned as strong contenders at reasonable prices. So, I bought a matched quad from VivaTubes and they are a marked improvement over the stock JJ tubes. Although I haven't heard any other tubes in my setup yet, I would highly recommend the GE's as a significant improvement for not a lot of money.

branden_8091 likes this.
  11. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

He mentions at some point in the video.
    Oh in the video description ''I got great results using GE tubes made in Canada. GTA and GTB. Performance on a budget''

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    TheVU and branden_8091 like this.
  12. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

When they decided to ship the Freya+ with the cheaper JJ tubes it amounted to a price increase since, IMO, you had to change out the tubes just to hear the unit as reviewed, those reviews still featured on the Schiit web-site. All of the favorable reviews of the Freya+ were with the Tung-Sol tubes.

That said, it is a very good preamp. I currently use 2 Sylvania chrome dome tubes in the right side positions which are the gain tubes. Most old tubes advertised as NOS are not actually NOS but rather are said to test as NOS and they are fine--and usually returnable if noisy or some other problem. I have had good luck buying carefully on ebay.

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Best tube beyond Tung Sol round plate is Sylvania 6SN7GTA. The GTA guarantees 1954 and earlier manufacture. RCA, Tung Sol and GE are not even close in performance.

grx8 and branden_8091 like this.
  14. branden_8091

I can't help but agree with you there... I think, based on what people have said here, I'll go for the Sylvanias. Maybe some GE's down the line to compare :)

15. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

Please, post about your comparison later on. I am curious.
    Enjoi.

16. branden_8091

Will do! Might be a month or two before I have some comments :) I'm going to let the stock tubes settle in and get used to them before tube rolling...just so I have a good comparison

Jazzabana likes this.
  17. branden_8091

So...I ended up buying a pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTA's through CAM. They sounded lovely, but one was hissy. The very generous CAMmer sent me a pair of Rogers 6SN7's that use the same tooling as the Sylvanias, so had the same pleasant sound, minus some of the holographic effect. He was extra generous though, and also sent me an extra pair, some GE 6SN7GTB's! Wow! Those are what I have in the Freya+ now, very happy...

MrTrickle and billnunan like this.
  18. MrTrickle

MrTrickle Forum Resident

Congrats on the Freya+. It is a fantastic pre for the price, but it can be taken to another level with the right NOS tubes to suit your tastes. So much so, that I think Schitt’s success with this product has probably driven up the cost of NOS 6SN7s as Freya owners are on the hunt for them. If you really want to go down a rabbit hole on Freya tube rolling, this is your thread:

Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread

I also have the Freya+. But I have found the characteristics ascribed to various 6Sn7s in the old Freya to be valid as to the Freya+. As others have mentioned, the right side gain tubes have the most influence on sound. I wouldn’t bother trying to find matched quads and instead focus on putting your money into matched pairs for the gain stage.

I went kinda nuts after I got the Freya+ this spring and went on a buying spree. Probably spent as much on NOS pairs as I spent on the unit itself. But I’m pretty set up for life with everything I could want or need, and prices continue to increase.

Right now I’m running a pair of CBS Hytron 5692s from Upscale Audio in the gain stage. Love ‘em. Very musical, holographic, and the mid-range is just gorgeous. But they weren’t cheap.

You mentioned clear bass in the OP. You might want to look into the Ken-Rad VT-231. They have stunning bass, and are otherwise great all-around tubes. If bass is one of your sonic priorities you can’t go wrong with a pair of these. They also aren’t cheap. But if you look around on eBay you can get a matched pair for +/- $200. Look for staggered plates on top.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    branden_8091 likes this.
  19. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

As per usual, I recommend checking out Sylvania 7N7. It’s an electrical equivalent of the 6SN7 but with a different base, so you’ll need an adapter. But the tubes themselves are extremely well built and GREAT, around 10 Euros per tube. In fact, the adapter will be more expensive but once you got that, you can buy a stash of 7N7 and not worry about tube life ever again. I’ve pointed a few other forum members to them who have reported positively back.

I find the Sylvania 7N7 to have what you look for totally but the caveat with them is that tube rolling options are very limited, and some forum members prefer some specific (and probably much more expensive) variant of 6SN7.

20. MrTrickle

MrTrickle Forum Resident

I think I fit that description. :agree: But I’m curious where to find said adapter.

21. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I bought my adapter and the 7N7 tubes at JAC Music in Germany but you should also be able find the adapter on eBay, I think. In fact, I bought two adapters, and one of them has a kind “wings” so that it may not fit into your Freya. Make sure to check that.

luckyno13 and MrTrickle like this.
  22. branden_8091

Thanks for all the info!...I've read a bit in that thread. I will definitely look into those tubes you recommended...one day. For now, all my money is spent! Lol

MrTrickle likes this.
  23. safebelayer

safebelayer Well-Known Member

If you're interested in the Sylvania 7n7 tubes, send me a note. I've got 5 NOS from JAC Music with 2 gold plated adaptors...tubes and adaptors unused. The 7n7 is a very nice tube with good balance.

Encore and branden_8091 like this.
  24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Doug's Tubes
    NOS 6SN7GTB
    If you need them well screened, this is a good option......One of the best in the guitar amp world.
    Talk to Doug, and tell him it's for hi fi......2 sets of good NOS likely get you through a lifetime of use. V1 always effects the sound the most....... Microphonic tunes can be weeded out by tapping on them lightly with a pen while on....NOS lasts far longer and generally sound better. Tubes with military designation if available are more vibration proof and tend to have the longest life.Also when you have a couple handfuls, swap them around for what sounds best..... The bad tube Schiit sent more than likely was damaged in shipping...That's modern built tubes for ya.....A mil spec tube could rattle around in a loose box cross country and probably be OK

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    branden_8091 likes this.
  25. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Freya+ is now live, and if those @#$@!#$@#$@# at Google made it easy to post pics from your account I would.

Anyways, I loaded it up with the stock JJs, poured a finger of Bowmore The Devils Casks and put on Peter Gabriel 4 (Security) track 2 San Jacinto and baptized it.

Path is PC -> Eitr -> Mimby -> Loki -> Freya -> Aegir (1) -> ELAC 5.2

I am still playing it at about 1:30 to 2:00 volume, but I will do this for a while instead of getting another Aegir for now.

I am now waiting for tube risers before I start rolling.
    Socket 8 Pin Testing/Extension Socket (Socket Saver) TS-8
    [​IMG]

I got my order from Brent Jesse, Waiting in the wings with:

6SN7GTB RCA blackplate RARE 1950s short bottle, side getter, silver label.
    Matched pairs $85.00!
    1 pair

6SN7WGT/A Early type brownbase JAN Sylvania Military grade, black triangular plates MATCHED PAIR
    SINGLE TUBES ARE $70.00
    1 tube

6SN7GTB by General Electric With Side Getter, short glass envelope, copper grid posts.
    Matched pairs $50.00!
    1 pair

6SN7GT / or early GTA type, Sylvania Triangular Plates, Sylvania green or yellow label, early 1950s, heavy top getter (chrome top). MATCHED PAIRS $85
    1 pair

6SN7GT Sylvania black STAGGERED Plates, green label, medium glass envelope, bottom getter .
    2 tubes @35 (70)

Yeah, there is a single in there, originally these were for the Saga, with backup. So we can see. That single is basically a Ken Rad.

CowFish likes this.