Schiit Freya+ Tube Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by branden_8091, Feb 16, 2020.

1. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Wow! Nice stash!

2. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

What would you roll in fîrst?

Also, how many people are using tube dampers? I ordered some from Herbies when I got some dots, but haven't put then on my Tavish phono stage yet.

3. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I've had good luck with Sylvanias. But, they will all be fun to try.

4. JohnCarter17

DONE

GT (1951 Stagger Plate) right side
    GT/GTA (Triangular plate) left side

Thank god for the tube risers which make it easier to remove tubes and reduce heat (base of tube not inside the Freya+

Its been a while, so I baptized them with one of the least appreciated Yes albums, Big Generator, specifically the best track on the album, Shoot High Aim Low.

Rick58 and billnunan like this.
  5. JohnCarter17

I think they saved $32 or so on the tubes. AFAIK those are new Tung-Sols, right?

$24
    [​IMG]
    Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB New Prod. Preamp Vacuum Tube

$16
    [​IMG]
    JJ 6SN7 Preamp Vacuum Tube

The Saga+ I received (and returned) had a Tung-Sol
    The Freya+ had 4 JJs.

6. JohnCarter17

I also started not using the tube stage for listening to talk radio. Its amazing how cool the Freya runs with the tubes off.

billnunan likes this.
  7. Zurv

Zurv Well-Known Member

What i enjoyed the most (and my wallet the least) was rolling in CBS 5692 in the gain stage of the Freya+.
    The gain tubes are both on the right side. Tubes in the gain have the largest impact.
    That said, ugh.. they cost a ton.
    But they are my go to sound. If i'm rolling other tubes i normally tell the seller that i'm looking for a CBS 5962-like sound. :)

(i used 1960s Sylvanias in the driver side. Left side of the Freya+)

I'd also suggest not using socket savers unless they are high quality. Sound really takes a hit. Also, it isn't hard to remove tubes from freya+ (say.. unlike schiit's mj2 headphone amp.) But if you do have a problem, put on some latex gloves, they will give you that extra grip.

but for new stock, 100% go for the Tung-Sol.
    DO get them from a dealer you trust. Russians will sell anything that semi works. You want the tubes tested and matched. (well.. at least for the job they are doing. ie, the gains should match and the drivers should match.)
    (for new 6922, i'd suggest the golden lion.)

Daywalker702 and billnunan like this.
  8. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I agree about the CBS 5692's. I had been using GE 6SN7 GTB matched quads and the sound was much better than stock tubes. And now I've put a matched pair of CBS 5692's on the gain side and the sound improved even more. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting out of the Freya+!

9. JCMusika

JCMusika Well-Known Member

I happen to have the Freya + and right now I notice that the tube gain stage ( right side tubes) has more noticeable effect than the left driver side. that said I have Russian NOS on the right and tungsols on the left.
    Am planning on getting RCA 6sn7 nos, and a pair of shuguang cv181 and compare. I read the rca are very musical !

branden_8091 likes this.
  10. btarr

btarr Member

So I'm both a TUBE and Freya Newbie. Not to mention a forum newbie.

1st of all: Hello!

2nd 'ly: NOW I GET IT! Tubes Are the way to go. Not looking back.

I've got my MacBook Pro (USB) -> Schiit WYRD (USB "Decrapifier") -> Schiit Modi-Multibit DAC-> Schiit LOKI -> Schiit FREYA + -> Swan M300 (active speakers).

So here is the thing and as an FYI: My Freya+ was sent with Electro-Harmonix tubes as stock and Tung-Sol tubes as the "upgrade" the JJ's seem to be out of favor for this run.

I like the Tung-Sol a bit better then the EH but I also got a pair of psvane-uk on the way and I am wondering if I need socket savers to be able to fit them (wide glass based all) and I'm also wondering.... how do you install these things? Do socket savers just drop in? Do you really take a hit in sound quality with the savers added?

hifisoup likes this.
  11. branden_8091

branden_8091 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Welcome, and, they're great eh?!

I can't really answer about the socket savers...I'd assume that you don't need them, but don't quote me on that.

I recently got the best pair of tubes yet, SYLVANIA 6SN7GTB, the ones I had before were similar, but the GTA variety.

btarr likes this.
  12. btarr

btarr Member

Today, the Socket Savers came in (The very ones you pictured above) and, yeah I plug them into the bottom of the tube, then into the socket, perfect! But they seem to come out with the tube when I extract it. I mean, am I suppose to GLUE the "saver" in?!? No, no, I'm kidding but... is this just how it works with the freya+ 's socket arrangement?
    Also... Very envious of your incoming or by now maybe, current stash of tubes. Good on you. FYI... Typing this while listening to: Peter Gabriel 4, Track 2.:righton:

And a question to you and any freya+ tube rolling types out there:

In my future tube rolling endeavors, should I just look to matched pairs rather than quads?
    And if so, do I consider the Left two sockets as, kind of "WORK" sockets and put a 'lesser' (Tung-Sol or EH) tubes that I already have there and insert any "upgrade" pair into the Right two sockets? The logic being that the right side (the gain stage) does most of the... well, Magic?

13. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Yes and yes. I have always just focused on pairs, not quads. Best set goes on the right and less best set on the left. No issues, no problems. I love my Freya+.

btarr likes this.
  14. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I have an original Freya that I have been using vintage Tung Sol mouse ears in the gain and new Tung Sol in the second spot. I also tried a pair of Sylvania GTB, but I am looking for that holographic experience which I think the Tung Sols bring in a scary good way. To me the Sylvania were a little flat in that regard.

btarr likes this.
  15. btarr

btarr Member

Ok FREYA+ owners out there. I need a consult....

I'm new to tubes and I'm feeling like maybe I'm being a bit too precious in the way I handle the them during the insert/extract process.

-Is it over kill to handle the tubs w/ a microfiber cloth?

-I'm being exceptionally careful , slow and deliberate putting them in, and taking them out. I mean, they are GLASS. Should I stop worrying and just be careful?

ALSO- I got the socket savers, but they won't stay IN the freya, rather they hang on tight to the tube. Am I missing something here? And what audio HIT do you take with the Saver in the mix?

Question question, so many questions......

16. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Socket savers often come out of the unit and stay attached to the tube. No big deal. Just separate the socket and tube once you have it out and put the socket saver back in the Freya+. No harm. Put the replacement tube in.

There is a school of thought that oils from human fingers compromise the integrity of the glass seal on tubes. I'm not sure how much of a concern this should be. I just use my fingers and have had no issues. No harm in using a microfiber cloth, though. If I had one handy, I would use it.

No harm in in being deliberate and careful installing tubes. In the grand scheme of things, you are talking about a very small amount of time.

My suggestion is to stop worrying and just enjoy. You are being wisely careful. There is something very enjoyable about removing a tube and putting a different tube in. I like the ritual way more than changing an LP on a turntable. ;)

btarr and thomaskong like this.
  17. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

One thing I’ve noticed is that the tube sockets are fragile so it’s a good idea to be gentle when changing out tubes. The solder joints have been known to crack causing distortion. This can also happen when transporting the Freya with tubes inserted. Of course, YMMV,

billnunan and btarr like this.
  18. btarr

btarr Member

So I see this in "The 6sn7 Identification Guide" on Head-Fi.org:

"The 6SN7GTA and GTB versions were introduced in 1950 and 1954 respectively. They have ‘upgraded’ ratings, which are as follows.

GTA: maximum anode dissipation upgraded to 5W (the GT is rated for 2.5W)
    GTB: identical to the GTA, but with a controlled heater warm up time for use in equipment with 600mA heater strings

This is significant because it means that a circuit designed around the 6SN7GTA/GTB cannot have 6SN7GTs substituted into it. Substituting a GT in place of a GTA/GTB in your equipment will precipitate its rapid destruction and possibly damage your equipment."

So the question is: Will 6sn7GT tubes kill th FREYA?

19. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Microfiber - you can do that, sometimes tubes slip and shatter (happened to me). Use Fingers.

Transport: It’s wrong to transport gear with tubes installed, cracks (as stated above)

For the Freya+ ( I admit I don’t own it):

There are (pretty rare) Mullard ECC 32 on the market, I would consider them if I would have a Freya.
    Yes, they fit ... compatible, the web says, Pre 1970 Mullards are really good (Blackburn factory recommended).

Or maybe early Red Base RCAs. Or metal base.

Electro Harmonix is uhm not the best tube maker in the world, neither is Shuguang. Take NOS or
    used ones that measure fine. Huge upgrade, don’t bother with new tubes. Get a drybox and test
    different ones. That’s the fun.

The differences are big and everybody has a different taste, so what means ‘best’ exactly?

btarr likes this.
  20. btarr

btarr Member

Just got two SYLVANIA JAN CHS 6SN7WGT 1958 (Pair, Matched? $50 Ebay, I think I got lucky) ..... Now I'm starting to understand.
    These produce a very detailed high end, delicate. I put them in the FREYA+, right side, and have some PSVANE-UK on the left. The PS-UK seem to lend weight to everything and when paired with these Sylvania's the PS-UKs get out of the way and let the 6SN7WGT's do the delicate work.

sunvalleylaw, billnunan and StimpyWan like this.
  21. Helom

Helom Forum member

You might want to ask Schiit directly but I’ve been running GTs with no issues.

22. btarr

btarr Member

Hey thanks! And you are right, they're good about answering questions. Didn't even occur to me at the time to ask and I should have posted back here sooner.

I asked this question on another forum and the specific reason the Freya+ will run 6SN7GTs, as you have found, is that: "The heater circuit is not in series but in parallel. It does not apply". (KoshNaranek, on Head-Fi.org)

Helom likes this.
  23. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Been listening to my friend’s unit. I’ve yet to unbox mine. Initial impression, fresh out of box is ... yeah it works fine. After say 40-50 hours. It’s much better. Sounds really good for it’s price. Really good.

Tube rolling. We only rolled the gain stage (right side). We got the following:

RCA 5692 Redbase - better clarity, more details but relatively, it’s a little syrupy. Still a great tube.

Sylvania 6SN7GTA - love the amount of air, detail. Vocals are much sweeter. Holographic effect is much better than the RCA 5692.

Can’t wait to unbox mine and chuck in the Pope 6SN7s

I tried the passive and JFET. Yeah ... you need to push the volume up a bit but frankly, it’s very listenable. It’s nice. Can live with it.

24. btarr

btarr Member

I just got a quad matched set of the TUNG-SOL 6SN7GT Mouse Ears, and, Oh ****!
    When you are right, you're right - and you are just right. I've been bouncing back and forth between these and the Sylvania JAN-CHS-6SN7WGT which ARE a bit more delicate at the high end but, but the mouse ears! I just!

It's a bit.... it's just way over the top, but if you have deep pockets take a look t the PSVANE UK-6SN7 form GRANT FIDELITY and buy from the Canadian web sight. Theses should be run right side but if you put these in on the left and run the TUNG-SOLs on the right... you get holography with some meat on the bones.

Anyway thanks for putting the TUNG-SOLs on my radar

Rick58 likes this.
  25. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Tung Sols, I have yet to take mine out since I put them in, they just sound right to me. I have read some favorable things about the PSVANE, do they fit without a socket saver?