Schiit Freya + vs Freya N - is one warmer sounding?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by barondla, Jan 25, 2023.

1. barondla

barondla Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering which of these linestages have more mid bass and lower midrange to midrange. Speakers have an electrostatic like tonal balance that could use a little more body. The N costs less at the moment, but all my killer NOS tubes and Linlai E are 6SN7. If I have to spend a ton of money for tubes the N could end up exceeding the price of the +.
    Thanks,
    barondla

Boltman92124 likes this.
  2. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Does Schiit still have the Freya N on close out for $599?

barondla likes this.
  3. barondla

Yes, sometimes they run out, then more get added.
    Thanks,
    barondla

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I've only read lukewarm reviews on the tubed Freya. Most people prefer the passive or SS sound on it, thus negating the extra cost. Could always try the LSS Mosfets instead of tubes I guess. Stock SS is only unity gain. I almost bought a Freya N at the auction site but I wouldn't go above $500. $599 for brand new seems like a decent deal.

barondla likes this.
  5. matthewp

matthewp chronic procrastinator

I have a Freya+ and want to love it but don't. Tube gain is spec'd 12dB but for me it isn't enough. Maybe more efficient speakers might help :p

barondla and Boltman92124 like this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Can you try the Mosfet plug ins? How do those work again? I think they provide 15db of gain.

barondla likes this.
  7. matthewp

matthewp chronic procrastinator

The LISST? Supposedly 14 dB of gain but a quad costs a pair of C notes so probably not. I was contemplating getting them before I ordered the Freya+ but already have a stash 6SN7 so decided not to. Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

barondla and Boltman92124 like this.
  8. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's a discussion on the Freya + vs Freya N so not hijacking the thread. Not sure if the LISST can be added to the N version though. Was wondering about that. LISST basically turns it into a Mosfet output stage, which can be a nice combination of tubes and solid state sound.

barondla likes this.
  9. barondla

They only list the LISST for octal 6SN7. Doubt they will do any, since the N didn't sell.

If not Freya, any other choice for affordable tube linestage with balanced inputs and outputs?
    Thanks,
    barondla

Boltman92124 likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Freya won’t add much body.
    Is there a particular reason you stipulate “balanced?” I ask because in my experience it doesn’t really yield any benefit over single-ended designs if the latter are designed well. And if you’re actually referring to differential circuits (not mere balanced connections), those can actually be detrimental to sound quality as they require twice the circuitry of a single-ended design and often times can actually measure worse. That’s not the case with the Freya+ in particular, but doesn’t really matter because that preamp is a mediocre performer compared to what you can find on the pre-owned market for around the same price.

Pre-owned single-ended models from the likes of Sonic Frontiers, Van Alstine, Bel Canto, Quicksilver and Manley are almost certain to outperform the Freya in its tube mode IME. For example the Bel Canto SEP2 I currently own. It’s single-ended and single gain stage, with only one tube for each channel. The simple design is likely what makes it a good deal more holographic and tube sounding (the good kind-bloom/decay) than the Freya+.
    The same can be said for the Allnic L1500 I owned which I picked up pre-owned for $2K. These are a bit pricier than a new Freya but definitely worth every penny in difference.

If I were forced to buy a Freya I would get the S or order the Plus with the LISST plug-ins. The reason for the latter is my departed MOSFET-based Yamaha integrated sounded far more like a good tube product than the Freya+ ever did in my system.

11. rhing

rhing Forum Resident

I have the Freya+ and I enjoy it in both balanced tube mode with 12dB gain, and in the balanced JFET buffer mode with 0 gain. I prefer the balanced mode when driving my Pass DIY Aleph J Class A SS amp through its balanced connections.

For tubes, I use a matched pair of GE 6SN7 with side D-getters on the right-hand pair of tube sockets, and a matched pair new production Tung-Sol 6SN7 tubes on the left-hand pair of tube sockets. This combination yields a warm, but quick and dynamic presentation. This yields a large, deep soundstage with a slightly forward midrange and nice detail. It compares favorably with my single-ended Audio Research LS7 tube linestage.

To my ears, having balanced connections from my Denafrips Pontus II DAC -to- Freya+ -to-Aleph J provides the blackest, low noise background that gives the music some dynamic range and liveliness. With the Freya+, I use one pair of the single-ended RCA inputs for the signal from a Schiit Mani 2 phonostage connected to my Bill Neumann (Fix My Dual) rebuilt Dual 1229.

12. barondla

My new Orchard Audio Starkrimson Stereo Ultra amp is balanced inputs only. Right now I'm driving it with the Ayre Codex DAC. Sounds great but no remote volume and worse, no way to hook up the phono stage.
    Thanks,
    barondla

13. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Most people and reviews end up being best in passive mode...that said, I skipped all the tube nonsense and got a Freya S plus a lokius and I can make it any sound I like with less distortion than any tube.

barondla likes this.
  14. nymarty

nymarty Forum Resident

@barondla It’s time to pull the trigger on the Freya + already. . You have the tubes. You have the Starkrimson. And you need a preamp. I thought the combo was great when I had the Ultra in my system. There are definitely better preamps out there but hard to find anything at that price that’s as versatile (and balanced). You can always try the LISST “tubes” for yet a 4th type of preamp in one box. Happy shopping!

mjcmt, hifisoup and barondla like this.
  15. Rock67

Rock67 Well-Known Member

I’m running a freya n with tubes rolled to 6n1p-ev. It was quite good with stock. I’m really really happy with the sound that I have now.

unclefred, Boltman92124 and barondla like this.
  16. barondla

Schiit has the N available again for $599. I've already ordered a a more expensive linestage, but still considering this as a back up. No idea when the hand built linestage will arrive.
    Thanks,
    barondla

unclefred likes this.
  17. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

Care to share what you purchased?

18. barondla

Sure. Supratek Chardonnay. Paid extra for the "domes" . Doesn't look as good without the domes :). Powder coat because the chrome is too bling for me.
    Thanks for asking,
    barondla

nymarty likes this.
  19. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

That was my first choice but ended up with the Freya +. Next time !

20. nymarty

nymarty Forum Resident

@barondla Congrats on the Supratek! Have heard nothing but great feedback about the Chardonnay and it’s on my short list for upgrades. How do you like it and how’s the pairing with the Starkrimson?

orchardaudio and barondla like this.
  21. barondla

Hasn't arrived yet. Heard Mick is averaging about 6 weeks. I'm on week 5. But, I paid extra for the domes and they tend to take longer. It will be nice to have a linestage hooked up again. I'd like to play some vinyl. I will post a review.

Hopefully it will be fine with the Starkrimson Ultra. It has balanced in & out via transformers. Unlike the D. Sachs, it isn't bothered by the low input impedance of the Ultra. Like the Sachs, the Chardonnay has high output, which is a help. The Ultra is 10db less sensitive than the PS S300. Granted, the PS is higher than normal. Of course ticking all the technical requirements doesn't guarantee sonic bliss. If all else fails Suprateks sell quickly.
    Thanks,
    barondla

Last edited: May 3, 2023
    orchardaudio and nymarty like this.
  22. sweetberriz

sweetberriz New Member

Again, what is the difference between both?
    N is at half the price of +, as of now.

23. ejk1

ejk1 Forum Resident

The 6922 amd 6sn7 have different presentations. The reason why Schiit came out with the N was because the tubes were plentiful and cheap compared to the 6sn7

24. B_a_R

B_a_R Forum Resident

I think they discontinued the Freya N a while back, they've been getting over $700 on ebay regularly.. :/

25. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

According to Schiit:
    "Hey, this is cool! Can I use them anywhere tubes are used?
    Not necessarily. We designed these tubes specifically for Freya+, Saga+, and Lyr 3. "
    Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California