Schiit Loki Equalizer released

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yes, it is a climb. My stuff is "mid-fi", and probably will always be (unless I win the Lottery,) But I do always replace equipment (when it quits,) with something "a step up".

The Pinhead, DancingSea and mr clean like this.
  2. heartbreaker

heartbreaker Prisoner in Disguise

To me the reason "as the artist wanted", is poppycock for purism/lack of tine & EQ etc. Who knows what an artist wanted, even they themselves, and studio technology has and is changing. advancing.

3. Csericks

Csericks Forum Resident

Although I have a Lokius rather than a Loki my thoughts are in agreement with many posts - 90%, or more, of the time I don't make any adjustments. There are, however, in my opinion, some albums that contain great music but need a slight eq. nudge to become listenable. I am very satisfied with this device.

unclefred, Mike-48, Sugar Man and 5 others like this.
  4. DancingSea

DancingSea Forum Resident

Yes, and even if you somehow knew what the artist intended, unless you have their gear and room, you won’t hear their intention anyway.

My motto is make it sound good to me.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ditto.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m considering getting a Lokius. I currently have a Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp. Would the Lokius be a step up from using the two tone controls on my Yamaha? (I also have a “loudness” dial but have never experimented with it.

It’s too bad I’d be limited to only one input if I use this with my Yamaha. Then again, my vinyl playback is already connected to a Parks Audio Puffin, which has various tone control options.

7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Puffin should do for vinyl, so maybe get an external dac (if you don't allready have one) with plenty of digital inputs. You can put the lokius between dac and yamaha and connect all your digital sources (cd player, streaming, pc, tv, whatever...) to the dac. That way all your digital sources benefit from the lokius.

mreeter and CBackley like this.
  8. CBackley

Thanks! I have only one digital source in my main rig, a Marantz SACD 30n.

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Sometimes the artists, esp. in the beginning of a career, don't even get what they want in terms of production. I guess Tom Scholz would be an exception to that, lol.

heartbreaker likes this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Two actually, as Lokius has two inputs.

mreeter and 33na3rd like this.
  11. CBackley

But one has to be balanced, right?

12. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

They also have 2 outputs. So you can connect balanced device to balanced input of your pre and SE to SE, just do not forget to flip a switch on pre and eq.
    If both sources are SE (RCA), then you will need some adapters or conversion cables. Fortunately they are cheap.

CBackley likes this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Actually, to my knowledge, it's like this, but check it with Schiit or some owner:
    both outputs are active simultaneously, no matter the input used (bal or se), so you can use whichever output you need. That's when the EQ is ACTIVE. In BYPASS mode it's different: bal in goes bal out and se in goes se out.
    So, if you want to connect se source to bal in of Lokius, you'd need just one adapter. If you want to bypass the Lokius for that source you'd need another adapter at the bal outs.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  14. Old Zorki II

I am Lokius owner (albeit for 3 days :) ). I never tried both outputs, as it seats in SE tape loop. Do not why they would have both outputs active in active mode, but not in bypass... but who knows, may be you are right.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Found it, and iirc it's been mentioned few more times in that thread, also for Loki max. From the horse's mouth:
    "Lokius will convert SE to balanced if it is in the "Process" position. If it's in Bypass, it's bypassed, no conversion going on."
    Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
    As to why - to keep shortest signal path.

16. Old Zorki II

I see. Still - why would I use connection which I cannot bypass?

17. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

I may end up with a Loki Max sometime next spring. Well after the new system is settled in. Just an idea at this point.

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You can bypass it, but only through the same type of output, for the sake of having least possible signal loss.

19. Old Zorki II

I got it, but why then use a conversion in active mode if you still have both connections in place…

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Imo the conversion is a bonus, as most eq's have just one in-out. Also, in a tape loop or pre-main separate inline connection with a switch, you bypass the eq at preamp level, not needing the bypass on the eq.

21. Old Zorki II

In a tape loop you do not need 2 connections..

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yes, you need one and you have the choice of xlr or se. That's how I see the two types of connections - option to primarily chose one type, while the conversion is a bonus with its limitation (active only). Maybe there's another rationale that I'm missing.

23. Old Zorki II

I still do not get much rationale, but that’s ok )). I like the unit btw )).

24. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Today I got my Loki mini + I have to say it is very clever box. I like it so much. It's really improve some not good press of vinyl records. I'm using it only for improve some inperfection of vinyl.
    [​IMG]

MAP, DancingSea and rockin_since_58 like this.
  25. CBackley

I’m still trying to figure out the best way to get all my components into the Lokius without compromising sound quality.