Schiit Loki Equalizer released

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Sep 27, 2017.

1. I will admit that i did not install it. My mate from Black Sea Audio did it for me. He installed 5 different settings: Flat, Normal ( cuts a lot of certain Bass frequencies ) Warm ( less intervention ) Normal Mod ( hardly any intervention ) and Rescue which brings it back to Flat should i ever cock the whole thing up!!. The words Flat, Normal etc are the words we used of our choosing. The amount, or lack of intervention, is totally programmable. All frequencies are able to be targeted. Its use is mainly aimed at big theaters and venues etc. Not the best looking bit of kit but boy does it work!!

2. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I've bought one and it should hopefully arrive in the next 2 days.

I'll have a play with it and report back.

Chris Schoen and bluemooze like this.
  3. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Sorry, but due to unforeseen circumstances, I will not be able to attend the RMAF this weekend or demo the Loki.

4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’ve been thinking of trying the Emerald Physics Bass optimization module
    The Bass Optimization Module (BOM) is a fully adjustable 4-pole Linkwitz Transform Function analog bass equalizer. It is designed to tailor the bass response of any speaker by adding an addition 5-15Hz of low bass and optimize the amount of bass from the speaker to match your room's acoustics.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I think the Heresys are only physically capable of going so low. Also, the Loki can trim off the high frequencies, should that need some adjustment as well.
    Thanks for the recommendation though, this may be more helpful to others here. :righton:

Manimal likes this.
  6. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I have loki installed on the tape monitor of my preamp. This will allow to see what it does in and out of circuit. There's been plenty of times where I wished for something exactly like this. Will give a spin over the weekend and post back.

7. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Well, I've had this little baby on the go for a while now.

I got this to curb what I feel is sometimes over zealous EQing in mastering these days as discussed often in Music Corner.
    I'm very happy with my system and room so it's not about adjusting that.
    I've got a bunch of EQs (Neve, EAR, Focusrite) that I use for work but it'd be cumbersome to integrate them with my Hifi.
    I put this on my tape monitor so I can flip between the original (CD and vinyl) and this, while in my sweet spot.

It's very transparent whether in bypass or in with all knobs nulled.
    It's very musical, they must have put a lot of thought into this thing to pull this off with only 4 knobs.
    I was dubious when I saw the centre frequencies but they all work well both on their own and in relation to each other.
    It's pretty intuitive, I was sketching down settings I liked within about 30 mins.
    So this does exactly what I wanted it to do which is generally subtractive eq to 'take the edge off' in a non-intrusive musical way.

Also, I'm not a big headphone guy but it does provide great bass extension to my open cans without muddying.
    It's a lot of fun, I've been playing stuff all day that was lost to me before.
    It's my first Schiit and I love it!

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

A picture of it in your system?

9. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Sorry, can't do that but there's lots of pictures of it in systems on the thread on HeadFi if that helps.

inperson likes this.
  10. wgallupe

wgallupe Forum Resident

I ordered mine the day it was announced and have now had it in use for almost weeks. My experiences (and how I use it) mirror what you said. I love this thing!

Horsey, dmckean, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  11. chodad

chodad Hodad

Ditto. I have mine between the amp and preamp so I can tailor all my sources (5) through it. Very simple and transparent. It replaced an older parametric eq that worked well but required more adjusting.

bluemooze, dmckean and luckyno13 like this.
  12. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Relative to other on board and external tone controls I have used, this is better. Engaging tone controls before had usually resulted in a loss of transparency and collapse of soundstage to a degree where the minuses outweighed the pluses, and probably what led to them being eliminated on most high end gear (but some manufacturers still do include the the feature). With loki engaged with controls on flat compared to out of circuit, the unit along with extra cabling created a very slight drop in clarity and soundstage definition, but it's minor. Adjusting the controls with loki engaged via preamp tape monitor on a number of recordings gave a result that was overall better than without it engaged, and what's wrong with that? This thing is staying in.

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Anyone else who purchased this EQ care to comment on their feelings?

14. Helom

Helom Forum member

In the right room, with the right placement and amp, Heresys can produce useful bass down to about 50 Hz. The woofer design doesn't allow enough excursion for anything lower. However, the benefit is their high quality midbass performance.

You'd be best off using a DSP device in conjunction with a speaker-level input subwoofer.

Manimal likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

My primary reason for considering the Loki is adding a bit of body to some thin sounding records. Loki placed between my phono preamp and Tascam cd recorder.
    My speakers don't need any help, except occasional digital glare from the tweeters when playing poorly mastered cds. A sub-woofer will just muddy up the nice tight
    sound I have now. That's a slippery slope...

16. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

The Loki will do you nicely. I was using it for both those purposes occasionally today.
    The frequencies and Q factors are chosen well unless you want a very particular/narrow boost or cut.

17. Chris Schoen

Cool. Will probably get one to play with when the weather goes south. Could be useful.

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Ordered one on Tuesday, got it yesterday. Two things that surprised me, it's a lot smaller than I thought, and it gets warmer that I thought it would. Anyway, it's a great little piece. I placed it between my preamp and amp. I got it mainly to tame a bit of the high end as I can occasionally be sensitive to it. What made me think about getting one is that my main preamp was out for service and I stuck an old Rotel in for the interim, and the Rotel has tone controls. With nothing else to do I played around with the Rotel and found a bit of high end cut beneficial in some situations. While that was a positive, the Rotel introduced very obvious phase anomalies, and was clearly less transparent and noisier. The Schiit, OTOH, has the benefit without the negatives. Certainly a lot of bang for the buck, and kind of amusing, as I've had a stereo of one form or another for 50+ years, to go from Tone-Controls-Good, to Tone-Controls-Bad, to, hmm, What-About-Those-Tone-Controls.

John K.

19. taynos

taynos Forum Resident

I utilize EQ to add some low end when listening at lower volume levels sort of like a loudness switch, also generally on mid 50's to late 60's hard bop jazz . Will the Loki be an upgrade over my JVC SEA-80? The Loki is Parametric yes?

[​IMG]

20. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I have a LOKI equalizer coming. I plan to use it ONLY to re-equalize an occasional reel-to-real tape, as I attempt to make a copy that sounds better than my original.

I'll report back, because if there is ANY subtle sound degradation AT ALL, it will not do the job.

ti-triodes and morinix like this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Please report back! I was planning on using for a similar purpose.

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  22. johnvb

johnvb Well-Known Member

I got one a few weeks ago, to use as a "loudness control" when I want to turn my KEF LS50s down low. Sounds great. Sometimes I turn up the volume and not hit the bypass switch, and it still sounds great. :)

Two thing I did with the unit, first added 2 layers of LightDims stick-on film dots on the indicator light to tone it down. Then replaced the little feet on the bottom with higher ones (not high end isolators, but those clear square bumpers they sell at the Home Depot) to raise the unit slightly, so that my fat fingers can grab the knobs better.

23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I guess I can get rid of this now.
    [​IMG]

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

OMG I had one of those. I have a stack of old equipment I no longer use but for the life of me I can't remember what happened to this one. Thanks for posting!

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Ha! I did the same. The light is really bright.

John K.