Schiit Loki Equalizer released

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, Sep 27, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Me too. Love it.

Bought another one for a different system to go after my streaming DAC. Beautiful.

DrZhivago and luckyno13 like this.
  2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Update: I got this and took it to Brasil and put it in the headphone rig as described. It did just what I had hoped and suspected. If I want more/less of any of the frequency bands it does a nice job of shaping them. If I don't want anything changed I disengage it and it disappears completely, no artifacts or degradation with it in the signal path. Very nicely executed little piece of kit IMHO. Happy listening.

basie-fan, luckyno13, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If I may ask: how did you hook the Loki up to the Bricasti? Does it have phono jack outputs?

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The Loki has phono jack inputs and outputs.

5. Splungeworthy

I know. I guess I wasn't clear. Does the Bricasti?

6. Chris Schoen

Oh, sorry. :p

7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I put the Loki between the single ended outputs of the Bricasti to the single ended inputs of the Tron Antares headphone amp.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  8. Splungeworthy

Those outputs are RCA's?

9. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Yes sir. Single ended = RCA and Balanced = XLR

Splungeworthy likes this.
  10. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I received a Loki loaner in a loaner box along with some headphones and I've been demoing it my main system for the last several days and I'm really digging it.

It has several great uses. It works great as a loudness control for nighttime listening when everyone else in the house is alseep. I also find most rock CDs released about 1998 onwards have highs that are tipped up enough to make things unpleasant and adjusting the two high knobs just a touch to the left helps a ton with this mustic and it doesn't destroy the imaging like tone controls I've used in the past do. It also worked well with headphones that are too bassy or have weird peaks in the treble, I can actually enjoy my Grado SR-125 again.

It's an extremely transparent device, when knobs are set at 12 o'clock I have a really hard time telling whether it's switched in or not. I placed it both between my source and pre-amp and also between my preamp and and amp and it seems equally as transparent in both places.

I highly recommend the Loki to anyone on the fence about purchasing one.

Gumboo, basie-fan, ti-triodes and 2 others like this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

My experience also. +1 :)

dmckean, 33na3rd and luckyno13 like this.
  12. wgallupe

wgallupe Forum Resident

My experience as well +2

dmckean and bluemooze like this.
  13. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

When you state, out of circuit, did you mean not plugged into your gear or plugged in with the bypass button engaged. I would like to know opinions about sound change ( if any ) between the Loki plugged in and not in any gear.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Bumpage! Where exactly would be the recommended placement within the chain of equipment? I am considering using it in a vinyl rig, so would after phono stage before preamp be ok?

15. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Yes, that works but it would also work just as well sticking it between the preamp and power amp if you're using separates.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Chris Schoen

I would put it between the pre-amp and power amp. This way it would not affect your turntable's capacitance.

bluemooze and recstar24 like this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Why it would affect the turntable capacitance if put after the phono stage which is line level output?

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Chris Schoen

It will not. Putting it between the turntable and the pre-amp WILL effect the capacitance.

33na3rd likes this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

So putting it after phono stage but before preamp will be OK?

20. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Yes.

recstar24 likes this.
  21. Chris Schoen

What is a "phono stage"? You mean the turntable?

22. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

A separate phono stage - like ART's DJPRE II, Schiit Mani, or Rega Fono Mini. Which then connects up to an analog line-level input on his line-stage preamplifier.

Adding a Loki between the phono stage and the line-stage preamplifier is fine. But it shouldn't be used between the turntable and the phono stage.

recstar24 likes this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I define a phono stage as a device that amplifies your turntable output to a higher voltage, or as stated before, brings a lower TT output up to a line output. In my rig the Hagerman bugle 2 is that device. The signal from there goes to my preamp which operates as a volume control and hub for various inputs, in my rig this is the emotiva dc1

Kristofa likes this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

After phono stage (preamp) - ok.
    After Emotiva preamp - same, ok.

recstar24 likes this.
  25. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

I have been eyeing the Loki for a little while, but since I have an integrated amp, I have no place for it, I would have to choose between the headphones or speakers...