Schiit Magni 3 owners - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ishmaelk, Nov 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone.
    So the other day I participated in the thread about your worst audio experience, and I mentioned my problem with Magni 3.
    I had mentioned the average sound quality, but then I remembered that the unit had a noise on the right channel when I turned the volume up (audible specially when no source was playing, of course).
    As for the channel imbalance, the distributor in Europe I bought it to just said, well, that's because it's cheap.
    I'm not kidding.
    As for the noise in the right channel, has anyone who owns this amp had that problem?
    The distributor wasn't exactly nice and did everything to not accept it as a faulty product, and treat it as if I had just changed my mind.
    Was I wrong? Is it normal that there are noises like that in Magni 3?
    Thanks.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Noise on one channel like that wouldn't be normal. You probably had a defective amp. It happens.

The channel imbalance issue is tricky. Affordable volume pots are never perfect. They will have some channel imbalance, especially at low volume levels (where the volume knob is near minimum volume setting). So that is to be expected. And people will complain about that even though it is expected. More of an issue with very efficient headphones like IEMs. I'm not that sensitive to channel imbalance so I don't worry about it, and I like headphones that are not that efficient so I end up higher on the volume knob where the pots are more linear and balanced.

But if you were also hearing noise on the right channel that could cause more of a channel imbalance than is normal. And that channel imbalance wouldn't be due to the volume pot. You were probably hearing more channel imbalance than would be normal or expected.

ishmaelk likes this.
  3. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

my magni 3 sounds good, no issue here

ishmaelk likes this.
  4. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had a Magni 2 and a Magni 2 Uber. Both were excellent. You have a faulty unit.

ishmaelk likes this.
  5. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you guys.
    I thought that was a faulty unit too.
    For the Schiit distributor... "you must buy a more expensive product". :yikes:
    Those were the very words.

6. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Schiit Magni 3 user here - no channel imbalance and no constant noise in either channel I have got great use out of it.. My only minor complaint is that there is occasionally a bit of 'static/hiss' in the right channel as the volume pot is moved but as I don't change the volume much it is not a problem. The UK distributor offered to look at it but I havn't taken him up on the offer (as yet). I tried a switched cleaner and it improved things.

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If the distributor was thinking your problems were due to a typical imbalance common to low cost volume pots then he wasn't necessarily wrong. Good volume pots that don't have channel imbalance can cost as much as a Magni 3 or more. If you want a quality volume pot like that then the amp is going to cost more.

But with the noise on the right channel you likely had more problems going on that were causing additional channel imbalance and worse. The distributor should have recognized that you had more going on that just typical imbalance caused by low cost volume pots.

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Mine works perfectly.

ishmaelk likes this.
  9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I don't own one.

ishmaelk likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Schiit loves to make excuses about faults in their products. They have QC and design/testing issues. Sounds like your distro absorbed the attitude that the stateside folks have. The customer is always wrong and it's never their problem.

11. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I have static with my fulla schiit when turning the volume knob up or down. I also have occasional static when just playing music.

12. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

It's not called Schiit for no reason. :D

13. Your distributer sucks! How dare he or she say such a thing! You have a faulty product and you should either have your money back or have your money back. Good luck:realmad:

14. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

That noise on the right channel is troubling. Probably a defective amp.

Channel imbalance? If that's happening at very low volumes - I mean so low as to be below normal listening levels - that's part and parcel of an inexpensive pot.

Average sound? If the sound is average (and I'm thinking really good sound would be something like a Taurus MkII for a SS headphone amp), then you're ahead of the game - considering you spent "only" $99.

What are your other options for audio gear where you're at? It may be better to avoid Schiit if the distributor is a pain. Needless to say, you'd be treated better if you were stateside and were buying from Schiit directly.

Hope it all works out for you!

15. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I tried to buy an Yggy from the mainland European distributor. That piece of Schiit had the most blackest background I have ever heard in a Dac as it was dead silent.

I emailed the distributor and told them that my unit was DOA (Dead On arrival). Then followed a very Monty Python-esque conversation. The distributor answered back with a plain "Are you sure?". Which I responded Yes, I am quite sure my Dac is and ex-Dac.

Schiit Europe was more interested in taking a dump on its customer rather than helping them. I gladly paid the 100 bucks for that boat anchor to be returned back to sender.

16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I think the distributor in question may be full of Schiit... just sayin'

;)

17. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Absolutely no issues - I always buy straight from Schiit, not any distributor - amazing service every time.

v

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.