Schiit Sol or Rega Planar 3?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by edwin rivera, Jul 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You will need a power transformer for that because it is likely a 100V unit. Plus plan on shipping being between $200-300 from Japan.

I have a MK7. You can read my thoughts below. You can ignore comments from hypocrtical DJs that make money off of cosmetic mods to old MK2s and 3s and then recommend crap like the horrible Denon DJ turntable. I don't know what you are reading but people keep parroting comments from one clown on YouTube who has no idea what they are talking about. Very few members here have bought or handled an MK7, so most of what you read on here about them can be taken with a grain of salt.

Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Now I am not saying not to buy a MK2-5 if you can get one at a good price. Just make sure everything is in working order before you buy. Keep in mind that if something goes wrong you will be returning at your own expense to Japan. HFD does have a pretty good reputation though. Never dealt with them myself.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    edwin rivera likes this.
  2. edwin rivera

edwin rivera Member Thread Starter

I will read your thoughts about the MK7, I being reading several forums/YouTube videos, but you're right I have to take it with a grain of salt what they said. Btw I read that the MK7 doesn't have hinges, it's just the dust cover on top, that's true?

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yes, there are no hinges. I did mention that in the other thread. If you need hinges, buy something else. I play with the cover completely removed, which is how the turntable was designed to be used. I don't understand this fad of playing with the cover down. I guess you need to do that if you have a cats or kids jumping around or have an abnormal fear of airborne dust.

edwin rivera likes this.
  4. edwin rivera

Great review! I don't mind play without cover at all, I don't have kids not pets jumping around.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

That cover has the bubble above the pivot. Never noticed that before. The Mk7 has a number of improvements over previous versions including a superior motor/drive system and tonearm. And it still weighs in at a sturdy 21lbs. Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1200MK7 Hi-Fi Audio | Technics US

edwin rivera likes this.
  6. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Fun reading this thread. I don't have much to add to it, other than I have been enjoying a Rega P3_2000 since, well 2000 when I bought it new. So, for the last 20 years other than a couple of oil and belt changes nothing much to report other than I really disliked the felt mat but all is well with the acrylic mat I replaced it with.

edwin rivera likes this.
  7. Schiityttnoob

Schiityttnoob Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, are you asking for a video or just commenting that you would like to see one in person?

edwin rivera likes this.
  8. edwin rivera

9. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I’m looking at the sol too. It seems like some work but the design and arm look great.

Ingenieur likes this.
  10. edwin rivera

I bought it and I don't regret!!!! It's an amazing turntable!

Ingenieur and zboski like this.
  11. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

What about the head shell issue? Is it really tough to get it set up right?

12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

If I am thinking of the same issue - that was fixed long ago with a revised arm. I've set up an AT VM750SH and a Nag MP-500 on it with no issue. In fact, the way they designed the shell makes it very easy to get it close without even needing a jig, and you just tweak it from there.

Ingenieur, zboski and Nathan Z like this.
  13. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

How about the mild ground hum some users have reported?

14. toddrhodes

I had some of that, mostly with my Nagaoka. I used a better, shielded phono cable to my phono stage and it minimized it. BJC LC-1, Audio Sensibility (entry level version, forget the name), or the one I custom made with VH Audio shielded cable all work well to avoid this. On my setup, I have to crank the volume to nearly unlistenable volume to hear anything and even then, once actual music starts playing, it's buried. But, I admittedly did struggle with that more than I had hoped I would. Seems to be tough to pin down - it's not a super common issue, and I've been active in discussions about Sol for over a year, being an early Beta user.

Ingenieur and 33na3rd like this.
  15. edwin rivera

0 problems, it came aligned from factory, I double checked before start playing record, and honestly it's not hard to set up. Really straight forward turntable.

16. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

What a shame that the struggle is worse for the Nagaoka cartridges as I especially love those.

17. toddrhodes

Like I said, it's fine now. I just hadn't isolated the issue in my setup I kept going round and round thinking it was a ground issue with the table itself or the arm itself. I have a WiFi point not far from my room, and two PC's kicking around so my environment is especially "noisy." I pretty much keep the MP-500 on the table for most things, and have zero complaints. In fact, every time I turn to vinyl I'm surprised at what Sol delivers for such a modest sum. Yes, it can make you work for it a little. But to me, that's no drawback.

Ingenieur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.