Schiit Sol phono cartridge shoot out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gov

gov Forum Resident

Not sure about delight but for starters there appears to be three ways to tweak VTA—the pivot point, the “chamber” on the arm and the platter itself—all with set screws. 1200 has the easy peasy turn and stag collar.

Guessing the arm vta adjustment was to allow each arm/cart combo to have its set vta which I think is pretty cool and elegant way of allowing for easy cartridge swapping.

Your macro point about swapping cartridges is dead on though. After initial setup the Sol would be way easier to swap it would appear. I think it’s the initial setup that will require comparatively more “tweaking” than say a 1200.

JackG likes this.
  2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Hadn't thought of that. That really make cart swaps easy. With my 1200 I still have to adjust VTF/VTA each time but they're built into the arm with the Sol.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I just commented as in my experience with the 1200MK2, one can swap cartridges about as fast as anybody not participating in a competitive cartridge swapping league needs to. Technics also has the easiest VTA adjustment of all time. I'm not trying to laud one table over the other, just found the statement that a frequent swapper should avoid Technics a bit odd.

4. Derleth

Derleth Active Member

Someone needs to build an Etsy store that sells custom tone arm boxes. :)
    I ordered the Sol with one extra arm. To start i will try tow Grado carts. The Prestige Gold, and a Reference 2 Reference. Very interested to hear the difference. I will report how I feel they sound.

Cyclone Ranger and bever70 like this.
  5. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

Am I missing something? But how could the azimuth remain correct with the tonearm wobbling like that?

Derleth likes this.
  6. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

Same as VPI

7. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

This would be a good thread to report which cartridges fit with the V1 tonearm.

Any news on your end?

8. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

yeah, i have seen that kind of tonearm before, but am still baffled by it. can't figure out how the tonearm can keep the horizontal balance, on a bumpy record or resonant surface.
    on this schiit tonearm, the antiskate is even tied to the lower end of the tonearm, adding another factor for the tonearm balance.

9. Derleth

Derleth Active Member

I got 3 carts to work. ortofon 2m red, Grado Prestige Black, and a Grado Reference 2.the Red was brand new, so not broken in. Sounds flat, but might need time. Both Grado's sound very good. Clearly the Reference 2 sounds much better, but they both sound better then the TT I took them off of.
    My problem is my motor is a tad slow, just a tad, but it is noticable. I have let Schiit know. Is anyone else having this issue?

10. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Exactly. Why in the $%$% are they comparing a bunch of random carts if they cant even communicate the arm compliance???? Surely they have specs that would suggest a decent pairing? This is truly odd and I'm certain I'm missing something here.

bever70 likes this.
  11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I put a strobe on mine and it looked fine to me. I don't have perfect pitch so absolute speed accuracy is not a big deal. I have noticed, that given it's size and the price point it's being offered at, the motor pulley is actually really well machined....at least my sample is.... can't even tell it's turning unless you look closely.

12. Yamahaha

Looks like they droped the ball on this turntable. I see in other forums there isnt enough room for cartridge wiring so people cannot install nagaoka for instance and there are WOW issues. To bad, it looked interesting.

13. insidious meme

insidious meme Forum Resident

Still looks interesting. Schiit is working on fixing the issues. There's even a long thread in this forum about what's going on.

14. Yamahaha

Yeah I saw they are working on it but honestly, thats such a "blunder" to be kind. That AND a speed issue? Sold to customers! WOW. Maybe just me but I lost interest completely as I just dont see how this happened unless its complete junk. I had to do to much for my money to be someones beta tester for peanuts.

15. Gmsingh

Gmsingh Well-Known Member

The end user could have any cartridge in world so a big variety is most helpful to the prospective buyer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.