Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

On what basis do you think this is to redesign the headshell? A number of problems were reported in terms of QC and they are waiting for the head honcho/designer to come of holiday. I think the headshell is perfectly adequate if you are positioning the cartridge correctly. Seem to be able to move back in the slots according to what I have seen. This would involve a complete arm redesign and manufacture to lengthen the headshell and reduce armwand to maintain length. Looks enough space for most cartridges with a bit of fiddling.

2. Melted Townes

Melted Townes Forum Resident

As someone who has one in hand, no. This is incorrect.

Aftermath, bever70 and Robert C like this.
  3. Melted Townes

I applaud the company for making the move to a volunteer beta test for current owners. It doesn't fully excuse the initial problem, but it is the right move.

4. Melted Townes

If you want to have a headshell that truly allows users to use any cartridge, you need more space between the mounting holes and the back of the headshell. While the headshell is angled, it isn't angled enough for the wire leads to clear the back.

Aftermath and patient_ot like this.
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Classy Schitt.

SirMarc, wavethatflag, Joel S and 6 others like this.
  6. james

james Summon The Queen

How weird of a person would you have to be to be a “detractor of a company?”

7. Melted Townes

For those of you with a Sol on the way, the best thing I can recommend if you are keeping it is you put a shorter cartridge on it if you have one. I found the Audio Technica 440Mla did align. I am sure a Nagaoka would probably work also but I can't confirm (I also can't guarantee Nagaoka will be compliant with the mass of the arm). If you only are using the paper protractor I highly recommend you secure the platter as well as the protractor with painters tape to be sure nothing is moving while you align the cartridge. The Schiit setup video is a terrible example of how to do this properly (and maybe the reason they missed the issue in the first place.)

bever70 and Derleth like this.
  8. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

No idea. But I will say that the Protractor of this company is a little off it seems.

Turntable wordplay, and nothing more. Don't hate on me people.

9. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Not only that regarding the setup video..
    Did nobody notice that in the video they start with the protractor.. then after that they set the VTA!

When many inexperienced will follow the official procedure from the manufacturer they will risk to damage the cantaliver/cartridge when fideling with the protractor and unknowing that they have a VTF that can collapse/damage their cantaliver..

Usual every setup is starting with floating the arm and then add VTF until we reach our desired amount.

So be aware and spread the information so inexperienced vinyl hobbyists don't get a bad start in this wonderful hobby!
    (I think Schiit need to edit the video and switch place of those two parts of it)

10. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Meh. We already know this isn't a newby's turntable. People will continue to setup as they have before. I view the video more as a tool to drum up sales by showing its features. It worked for me lol.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Ham Sandwich likes this.
  11. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

...and now I get $300 back and new tonearms. This just keeps getting better...:pineapple:

12. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

They are paying them, $300.

13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Bad situation, but this is one of the classiest responses to a problem I've seen in awhile. I don't think they could have done much better as far as responding.

SirMarc, Budley, punkmusick and 12 others like this.
  14. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I think Schiits biggest problem with this table is overhyped and unrealistic expectations from their fans. Expecting them to come out of the gate with zero experience in turntable design and deliver a haymaker to the likes of Rega and Technics was a bridge too far. Technics has shipped a gazillion 1200 variants over the last 45-50 years and Rega is shipping over 4000 tables a month. Most likely have produced over a half million units the last 46 years. It’s quite possible they have learned a trick or two over these years. I hope Schiit makes a go of it. Always good to have more options

displayname and Big Blue like this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

Wow that’s fantastic. Good on them

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

More like the "Beta Testers" are paying $500 for the "privilege" of being a beta tester. Typically beta testers are paid to test a product, then send it back, or they test a piece of beta software.

17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Exactly. Seriously, you can tell just by looking at the headshell that it's too small. It's obvious by sight alone. :agree:

I can't believe some folks here are questioning the users, the protractor and who knows what else. Unreal. o_O

Schiit knows it's an error too. They'll fix it and send out new arms to folks or exchanges. No worries.

izgoblin, Aftermath and patient_ot like this.
  18. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

I don't consider myself a beta tester because I'm not accepting remuneration for my time filing reports. Still, I might waste a little futzing with the deficiencies, but the refund and updates make up for it, so far, to my satisfaction.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    izgoblin likes this.
  19. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

That’s really a stand-up thing to do, for sure. Gotta give ‘em that.

Kinda wish I’d have bought one now.

Kyhl, JackG and BayouTiger like this.
  20. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I wish I bought one! I'd love to help and get updates, new parts etc.

Sounds like a good deal for these "accidental" beta-testers. :D

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Agreed, apparently they are doing the right thing to remedy the situation.

22. MrMikeGC51

MrMikeGC51 New Member

Nottinghams be the exception.

23. MrMikeGC51

MrMikeGC51 New Member

Really wondering about best cartridge selection at this point. Any thoughts on how a Grado Sonata would work out? I saw the suggestions for the Nagaokas and the AT 440, which also came to mind on what would work. Sure would like nice with a wood Grado on it though. Grado Sonata? Any other suggestions?

24. MrMikeGC51

MrMikeGC51 New Member

What cartridge was on it at RMAF? An AT 95 perhaps? Just curious.

25. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

hmm - if owners don't have to send back the table, then they are being paid $300. Owners, do you have to send back the table? Yes? No?

v

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.