Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Funny, no one in the beta program mentioned the slow speed, myself included. :oops:

toddrhodes likes this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I did, but mine was more focused on the speed stability and w/f, than it was slowness. Then again, I was just emailing Amy directly with what findings I had and some things I posted on SBAF as well.

The lighter pulley made w/f worse for me, and 1 of the 3 belts I have was just terrible. The heavier pulley needs the push start which I thought I'd hate but wound up not minding at all, and the new plasticky belt works really well for me, where the original rubber belt does as well but it wanders a bit on the platter.

Now that I have a new platter and bearing, speed didn't change but w/f improved and underlying noise seems better.

That said, and what I think you're getting at is... that's the power of Fremer, I suppose.

3. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Is anyone with a Sol and 2 or more tonearms willing to comment on how simple the swap is?
    Can you really just get them all setup and easily switch them out when you want a different cartridge?
    I imagine it being a one-at-a-time twin-arm table, but curious if that is reality or not. Would love to be able to rotate through different cartridge, mono/stereo, etc.?

4. toddrhodes

I just got a 2nd arm today. No cart for it yet, not sure which way I want to go to keep the uh, miles, off my MP-500. But, the arms come complete with a counterweight so in theory, once you align and set everything up - VTF, Azi, offset angle will all travel with the other arm. So VTA would be the only possible change when swapping that I can think of. I'm securing my A/S with small 1mm o-rings so even that could be somewhat captive on the arm in storage. And the 2nd arm came with its own A/S weights, too.

vinylsolution likes this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

How much was the second arm wand?

6. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

It wasn't but that's a good point. With the review now online sales should pick up. For myself, I didn't notice because A) don't care about absolute pitch; and B) was too busy fixing all the other problems to notice. :biglaugh:
    I have 4 arms. Changing them is not difficult, but because the wire affects azimuth it will need to be checked and adjusted if necessary, sometimes a few times until the wire has settled.

7. musgrave

musgrave Member

The tonearm is not listed on the site as a separate purchase. How did you buy one? Did you call? Thx

8. toddrhodes

I actually emailed into Support about it, so yep, a direct contact to them.

9. toddrhodes

Read a tip on how best to use the RPM app on a phone for a turntable - you want to elevate the phone above the spindle. Doing so, I achieved the following results for speed accuracy and W/F which, to me, seem perfectly reasonable for a belt drive table.

[​IMG]

The Dragon, Ham Sandwich and HiFi Guy like this.
  10. vinylsolution

Or, for $11, you could get one of these and see the speed while you play music.
    And if you don't think you have clearance for the magnet, but I think you will, you can blow another $.20 on these little units.

[​IMG]

Dignan2000, 33na3rd and toddrhodes like this.
  11. toddrhodes

XPost from another forum:

Going to need a bigger box, but it'll work for one arm, for now.

Got my craft on! Turned a wine box and a block of foam into a reasonable and VERY cozy space for a Sol tonearm. And I can even write fancy little messages on it in chalk. How about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raiderdave, Kyhl, jerico and 12 others like this.
  12. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Besides the Sol and the higher-end models from Nottingham Analogue, what other turntables feature a detached motor?

13. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

There's a ton, and this is nowhere near a comprehensive list ...

Clearaudio (many models)
    VPI (many models)
    Marantz TT-15S1
    Pro-Ject RPM
    Music Hall MMF-7 and MMF-9 series
    Oracle
    SME
    Origin Live
    Brinkmann
    Micro Seiki RX series
    Teres
    Pear Audio
    Hanss
    Michell
    Kuzma
    Acoustic Solid
    Basis (some models)
    Walker
    Galibier
    and many, many more

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Agitater likes this.
  14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Origin Live, Pro-ject has several models (RPM series), Kuzma has several models, and many other makers also offer detached motor designs.

15. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Thanks Davey and Agitater.

16. musgrave

musgrave Member

Need a bit of advice. How do I tell if a tonearm is bad?
    I received a new Sol tonearm and I installed a new cartridge. No sound from the left channel (blue and white wires). So I installed that new cartridge on the old tonearm that came with the Sol, and I put the AT-VMN95EN, which came with the turntable, on the new tonearm. Old tonearm with new cartridge works. New tonearm with old cartridge is missing the left channel. Before I contact Schiit, can I test the wires with a multimeter to see if that's where the problem lies? Thanks.

17. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You won’t hurt anything by testing the continuity.

toddrhodes likes this.
  18. Renault4

Renault4 New Member

I am curious as to what Sol owners here have done for a dust cover--I'm searching around for a fabricator that will make a five-sided acrylic box.

19. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

5 Sided Clear Acrylic Box - Custom Size

Wounded Land, ex_mixer and bluemooze like this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's exactly what I would do.

21. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I have to ask, why do you need the pressure gauge?

22. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

It's an air-bearing tonearm, so uses an air pump.

Uglyversal likes this.
  23. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

:doh: Silly me, I suppose it runs from an air tank and not directly from the compressor to prevent pulsations?

Thanks

24. vinylsolution

Well.... there is a surge tank and about 50 feet of line that helps mitigate pulsations.

Uglyversal likes this.
  25. musgrave

musgrave Member

Try this Dust Covers | Apco (apcoplastics.com)

ex_mixer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.