Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Not that I'm aware of. Because of the remote motor pod, configuration and overall dimensions can change from user to user, so a cover that satisfies all users would be difficult to provide.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

More involved is one thing, but the jiggling of the unipivot makes getting the cart aligned just right a real chore. The problem is having the screws loose enough to slide the cart in tiny amounts but tight enough they hold position a little bit. Super frustrating.

3. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Yes, it is. That's why I made the overhang gauge. Can do do it seated in comfort at the dining room table. Checking it with the supplied paper arc protractor shows it is spot on, though sometimes I need to twist the cartridge slightly to align the cantilever. If it's straight to begin with the alignment will be bang on the first time..

4. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

It doesn't come with one. There might be an aftermarket cover available.

5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

6. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Interesting, I have the same table as you. I've purchased several Schiit products over the years and they have great quality and reliability. The Sol is definitely an attractive option.

JackG likes this.
  7. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

So am I SOL to get one? :laugh:

8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Now there are reports that Sol is discontinued due to scarcity of parts. Sad, it was such a value leader...

9. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Aww, hell.

10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yep. The soon to be legendary Schiit Out of Luck turntable. :cool:

11. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Where are these "reports" coming from?

12. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Aren't they coming straight from Schiit?

13. Old Zorki II

14. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Not when I contacted them.

"although at this point that's far from certain............"

33na3rd and Old Zorki II like this.
  15. Old Zorki II

Well, nothing is certain until official ). I was on Monday Night Miracle game in 2000 and did not leave )).

16. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

17. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

If Schiit does stop making these, they could end up being pretty collectible since I can't imagine there's that many of them out there?

Aftermath likes this.
  18. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

It could be but it's value will be very iffy, I think, since it would be really tough to find parts and such if it is truly over for it's production life.

That said I have a spare arm and use an outboard motor controller so I at least have a little redundancy going for me...

19. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I've been kind of stunned at the sound I'm getting out of it and am hoping I can score another arm at some point.

Mine was running a little fast so, based on a tip I found on SBAF, I used some automotive masking tape around the platter to slightly increase circumference and now I'm spot-on at 33.33 based on the RPM app.

Nathan Z, 33na3rd and Ripblade like this.
  20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Hopefully, Schitt gets out of the TT business. When you are adding tape to obtain accurate speed....its time to go

Jimi Floyd, BluTorch and Rolltide like this.
  21. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

You might be the only one who wants them out of the business. The Sol is seriously interesting, even if Schiit is still working things out. I want them to have the time to make it right.

Lucca90, BeauZooka and Diapason like this.
  22. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Not unheard of on a belt drive TT. Anyway, can you enlighten us with your design Mr genius? Schitt came out with a pretty cool and effective, at a very reasonable cost TT, not bad for a company that is new to the TT business. For additional cost I'm sure you can get a speed controller like a lot of high end turntables have, if not now, than eventually. Hopefully Schitt continues to market this and comes up with additional upgrades so they can keep the entry level price quite reasonable.
    Overall, I rate it way higher than the Rega tables in it's price range. Of course to get the Rega to run at a near perfect speed your into big bucks with all sorts of upgrades. So Mr genius, lets see what your designing and selling.

Billwojo

23. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Last I read, Schiit was producing a new pulley to correct the speed issue. Has anybody received their new pulley yet? I haven't inquired with them as yet....absolute speed is nowhere near the top of important criteria for me to enjoy the sound. So may other factors are, and the Sol just about tics all the boxes.

24. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You're wrong. You can get an older, speed-problem Rega to run dead on with the addition of tape around the sub-platter. See how that works, like, sometimes? Of course, that still means the Rega is better because you can't see the tape (unlike the Schiit on which the platter rim tape is visible).

Or not. It's inconsequential.

Other members using smartphone-based RPM apps to check their turntables may be making a mistake in doing so. None of the RPM apps I've used on iOS provides consistent results that repeatably agree with a KAB strobe and speed disc or any other strobe and speed disc. That means there are some guys who think they've nailed speed on whatever turntable they've got but actually haven't.

What you did was defend one turntable brand's inconsequential speed issue by rapping a different brand's inconsequential speed issue. A few Shiit Sol turntables have a minor - again, inconsequential - speed issue. A smaller percentage of earlier generation Rega models also have a minor - IMO, inconsequential - speed issue. Of course, the Rega so-called issue has been blown up out of all reasonable proportion because Rega's turntable division alone is multiple times the size of Schiit Audio, and Rega has been a global marketer and merchandiser of all of its audio products for two generations. It's a big, fat target for audiophiles. I truly hope that U.S.-based Schiit does at least as well as Rega has done and for at least as long.

It is astonishing that so many audiophiles rush to defend Schiit out of all proportion to its market share and product quality - as though each random audiophile has a personal stake in the company. I really have to email Schiit to tell them what a seriously fantastic job they've done on generating persistent, everyman-style loyalty amongst audiophiles in general, and even amongst some audiophiles who don't actually own any Schiit products. It's remarkable - a minor contemporary marketing coup.

trd, BluTorch, luckyno13 and 2 others like this.
  25. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Well that got unnecessarily rude. You don't have to be a mechanical engineer to be a consumer... there's no need to insult anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.