Schiit Sol- The Next Great Turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brn

brn Well-Known Member

Just got mine setup and dialed in, not as bad as people think, and I'm considered a novice with turntables compared to most. There are a few quirks I guess. The cueing lever was bent, no big deal, straightened out easy enough. But that damn bearing, getting it to go in I thought I was going to break the thing! That said, there is the ever so slightest wobble going on.

The carbon fiber shaft going into the rear part of the tonearm was loose slightly, I had to make sure the headshell part was lined up with the rear part. Maybe mine was defective?

Had some hum on the record at first, but I only had the TT grounded to the preamp. Had to run it also from preamp to my receiver as well, didn't have to on my last setup. I'm running a Parks Audio Puffin preamp BTW.

I installed a still breaking in AT VM540ML, but this thing sounds way better on the SOL than on my Lp120 I had it on.

Overall, so far, little things aside, I'm pretty happy with it. Super customizable, and I personally love the simple mechanical look.

2. Melted Townes

Melted Townes Forum Resident

So, after a long night of working with the SOL at my friends place, I have some more thoughts. The cartridge mounting issue is a real problem (not enough clearance room in the headshell for the cartridge leads unless the cartridge is completely moved forward.) As more and more experienced "hobbyists" receive this table I can imagine we are going to hear more about it. Take a look at the picture from the cartridge shootout that they posted awhile back. A Schiit Shootout - 5 Turntable Cartridges Compared! | AudioHead . Look at the photo of the arms in the box. All but one cartridge is shoved completely to the front of the mounting holes. Why? Because that's likely the only way they could get them to fit with the leads installed. That is certainly what I experienced with the Ortofon Quintet.

I believe mathematically the holes for mounting are likely in the correct position, there just needs to be more clearance between them and the back of the headshell. I would think that shortening the carbon fiber tube by about half an inch and lengthening the headshell in that area would have solved this issue from a design standpoint. I have no idea of course if this would affect the overall performance off the arm. Anyways, for now we will have to settle for using cartridges that are shorter then most. We have contacted Schiit about this, no reply yet but it's only been a few hours.

As far as the paper protractor included, I really think they do a disservice to the user in the set up video explaining how to use it. I am lucky enough to be able to borrow some higher end set up tools. I believe you can use a paper protractor effectively but you need to use painters tape to lock things down.

I did not detect any platter wobble on this unit. Again, I love how easy it is to adjust things on this table. It is a very robust design in most aspects. They just seemed to have missed one of the most important parts. The ability to properly mount and track a wide range of cartridges.

If things work out I might get a chance to work some more with the table tonight. Maybe try some different platter mats for fun.

izgoblin, SirMarc, Aftermath and 11 others like this.
  3. brn

brn Well-Known Member

I believe your right, although I didn't have this problem with my VM540ML. It sits not quite half way back from the front. I was worried at first after connecting the wires where they were going to go if I had to move the shell back any farther.

4. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Please pardon my ignorance, but if the cartridge sticks out more how does that affect alignment?

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

6. winders

winders Music Lover

This thread is on a site that really likes Schiit Audio but is usually quite fair in their views. Especially the OP of the thread:

Schiit Sol Turntable Review - Episodic.

He has many issues with Sol but likes the sound.

7. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

The cartridge sits at the front of the shell for a reason...to minimize contact with the shell. Schiit didn't invent the concept...it's been around awhile...look at the SME series III for example.

That said, this isn't the first time I've heard of problems using the Feickert with arms of unusual geometry. The paper arc protractor Schiit provides should be correct for the arm. I don't yet have hands on to confirm, but I remain skeptical about any error on their part. We'll see.

This brings about one parameter that remains non-adjustable... the arm distance. I want my money back. ;) :laugh:

8. Melted Townes

His pictures are exactly what I experienced. I chose not to risk bending the leads like he did.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

That photo is damning evidence....

bluemooze, Doug Walton and macster like this.
  10. Melted Townes

It's a quite bizarre to develop a table for this long and never put it into the hands of a skilled turntable expert to test for such things. Even with my moderate skill set, I found this issue within an hour or so. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. Does anyone make 90 degree cartridge leads?

11. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Nope. Because if you don’t like what they’ve tossed into the marketplace, you’re the problem.

izgoblin and beowulf like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

They need to redesign the head shell, period. In this day and age this is totally unacceptable.

13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Really don't get how they could screw up the headshell design like that. I saw a YouTube setup video they posted and when they mounted the platter and got it spinning, the close up clearly showed the platter wobbling. Seriously, didn't they even watch the video? Overall, for the price this still represent an amazing value and will be far better when V2 is released.

recstar24 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  14. winders

winders Music Lover

Ah...A Schiit hater. If you have nothing other than hate to add, why don't you ignore this thread? I used to be a much bigger fan of Schiit gear than I am now. But one thing they have always maintained is they make products they want to make. That means they know their products are not for everyone. By default that means they know they are the problem, not the people that don't like their products....

SirMarc and Derleth like this.
  15. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Teething pains. They need a v2 tonearm/headshell, and of course to fix the annoying other issues too. :oops:

displayname and Derleth like this.
  16. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Reading this suggests to me that the CF tube is not adhered to the shell and pivot assembly, but is friction fit. Is this correct? If so, it may be possible to make an adjustment to the overall length of the wand by removing an end and cutting the tube shorter.

Not something I'd be looking forward to doing, but at least a work around for the overhang problem...

17. Melted Townes

I can't read the Sol product page and not chuckle.

"Sol was also designed to help you extract the maximum performance from every cartridge. Literally everything is adjustable. From on-the-fly VTA, cartridge angle, anti-skate, and even tonearm pivot height, platter height, and motor pulley height, we have you covered. You’ll be comfortable using an expensive cartridge with Sol, knowing you’re getting the most out of it."

I suppose if we consider cutting the arm tube to shorten it as "Adjustable" this might hold true.

Sarcasm aside, I do still think this product has some real promise.

displayname and Ripblade like this.
  18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Did you guys read that part about the belt being a P.O.S.? It moves up and down on the platter. He used nylon string instead. Wow.

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Sounds like an Erector Set turntable.

20. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

That’s quite the marketing differentiator. “We make products we want to make, and we’re the problem.”

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Nylon string or filament string is a common DIY belt tweak for some turntables. The Well Tempered Lab turntables come stock with a polyester filament string belt with a knot tied in the middle. Because they found that to be the best belt. Here's their FAQ page that explains their choice for a polyester filament string for the belt.

The Sol turntable has been promoted as a turntable for people already experienced with turntables and willing and eager to tweak. Being willing to try a string as a belt replacement would fit in with that philosophy.

I do wonder if maybe dusting the rubber belt with talc would help it ride more smoothly around the platter?

Derleth likes this.
  22. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

It might be at that. The
    mind delights at the possibilities....:goodie:

23. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Sure. But why not just make a working belt in the first place? How hard can it be? Tweaking to increase performance it one thing; tweaking to make something functional seems a bit much, even at this low price point. But I am still intrigued by the table.

h1pst3r88, izgoblin, Hogues and 7 others like this.
  24. brn

brn Well-Known Member

That's seems possible to do. It did seem like the carbon tube is just pressed into the rear mount assembly. My arm will be slightly shorter already then since I kind of pressed it in a bit further to make sure it didn't move on me. Looking at the "normal" tonearm pics, my CF tube is showing a bit more out of the rear D ring mount.

Ripblade likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s on my list of strikes against Rega tables (the feet in general, really).

I consider leveling feet a very easy thing to just include, and I don’t understand not including them on any design.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    zombiemodernist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.