Schiit Valhalla 2 RF/Phone Interference

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrEWhite, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, I recently picked up a Schiit Valhalla 2 and I'm having a bit of an issue with it. Even with my DAC unplugged (just the amp being on with my headphones plugged in), I get interference when I get a phone call or a notification on my phone. I wanted to know if this is supposed to happen, or if it is irregular with this amp.

2. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

No interference on mine at all....sorry.

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Try plugging headphones directly into the PC to see if you this still occurs without the Valhalla in the chain. I used to get the same interference when using the computer with amplified speakers.

4. MrEWhite

I only get this when my phone is near the amp, and it's amplified when they're near the tubes, but i'll go ahead and try.

Edit: I plugged the headphones straight into the DAC, and I don't get any interference.

5. rockin_since_58

My Bifrost and Valhalla are about 5 feet away from the desk where my phone sits. When I get home from work tonight, I will place the phone on the audio rack to see if I have the same issue. When I used to have this happening, I had the computer, DAC and headphone amp all on the same desk. Maybe just see how far away the phone needs to be to stop the interference for now.

6. MrEWhite

Thanks for the help, I eagerly await your findings.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  7. MrEWhite

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  8. rockin_since_58

I don't believe a power conditioner will help interference from your phone. I am using a Monster Power conditioner though. Wouldn't it just be easiest to not have the phone near your gear?

The picture below is with one of my phones sitting directly on top of the DAC and right next to the Valhalla. I tried with making a few calls and texts and there was no interference at all...and yes for the test, I did have the headphones plugged in and listening, just not for the picture.

Does your computer have an optical audio out that you can connect to your DAC? I had a lot of noise issues when USB with my DAC.

[​IMG]

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

One variable could be whether the phone and mobile provider is set up for wifi calling while at home connected to your wifi network. The wifi activity on the phone may be causing the problem or the mobile network activity may be causing the interference. You'll have to experiment to figure out which.

Chilli likes this.
  10. rockin_since_58

My phones are setup for WiFi calling and may be the reason why no interference.

11. MrEWhite

Could you try without wifi calling? If I turn off wifi I still get the noise.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  12. MrEWhite

Also, I get the noise without the DAC hooked up.

13. rockin_since_58

No noise with WiFi calling off. Did you see how far away you need to move the phone to get the noise to go away?

14. MrEWhite

Yeah, even on the other side of my desk I get a bit. I dunno why this is happening to just me, considering the fact I get it even if I unplug everything from my amp.

15. rockin_since_58

Does the phone need to be close to the gear??? Maybe put it on the opposite of the room or just turn it off while listening until you find the source. This would be driving me nuts too...

16. MrEWhite

I would MUCH prefer it on my desk. I would honestly like to get to the source of it, considering the fact that other people don't get it. But, I guess it must go on the other side of my room for now.

17. rockin_since_58

I am using Pangea 14SE MKII Power cables but don't think that would have an affect on this. Hopefully the Pyst cables will help.

Signing off now for the night and will check back on your progress.

18. MrEWhite

If the cables have a chance of fixing it, I wonder if the power conditioner recommended by Schiit would help?

19. MrEWhite

Okay, got my Schiit Wyrd, along with the Pyst cables, in today, fixed my noise over the USB bus from my PC, but I still get noise from my phone when I get calls.

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I used to get a kind of clicking sound out my alarm clock seconds before receiving a text or phone call (on my nightstand). Wasn't a big deal unless it was the middle of the night! The only solution was to keep the phone away from the alarm clock.

I never put my phone super close to my Valhalla amp (no need to) but I doubt it would interfere because my WiFi Router is about 1' away with zero issues. I do place my cell phone within 2' of the amp though and don't get any RF interference. In fact, I have yet to hear that kind of interference since changing phones or alarm clock. I don't recall which came first but I bet it was the phone. IMO, you can blow as much money on cables, power conditioners, shielding, etc. etc and you wont solve your problem. RF is nearly impossible to cure once it rears it's ugly face. Do you have another phone you can use or borrow to see if your problem persists with it?

21. MrEWhite

So, I actually got my Valhalla 2 swapped for an Asgard 2, and my issue is completely gone. Completely noiseless output from my PC when combined with the Wyrd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.