Schiit's First Phono Preamp - The $129 "Mani"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You can simply add a set of in-line high-pass filters to filter the rumble. You can do this with any phono pre that lacks an in-built rumble filter. Will cost you $20-$30 for a set, plug into RCAs on your integrated amp or stereo preamp. It doesn't get more simple than that.

Examples:

"Harrison Labs FMOD Inline Crossover Pair 20 Hz High Pass RCA" from www.parts-express.com!

DB Systems-DB Systems Subsonic Filter-Turntable Accessories|Acoustic Sounds

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Schiit really needs to get on a mani v2 or bigger and better separate phono preamp. They have been working on that Sol TT for a while now

3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Schiit Mani to the Art DJ PreII?

4. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

My friend has Mani and Tube Box S and what he told me Tube box S has slightly lower noise... I'm satisfied with my new Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 :)

5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I stumbled on this old post from Mike Moffat. I doubt they will do another phono preamp, personally, but you never know. What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

6. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

I currently own the Art DJ PreII and will receive a Mani today so I'll be able to do some comparison.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  7. shiwo

shiwo Well-Known Member

Owners of Schiit Mani and AT440Mlb, what settings is recommended ? My setup is a Planar 2 circa 80s, RB250 tonearm with michell tecnoweight.

englishbob likes this.
  8. Krankenstien

Krankenstien Active Member

I received my new Mani yesterday.

The reason I wanted one was that I recently changed over to a new Integra receiver from my 1979 Onkyo. The phono stage in my new Integra lacked the punch that my old Onkyo had. Digital offerings through the Integra sounded awesome but records were sounding a little too flat. So, I poked around and did a little homework and settled on the Schiit Mani.

I hooked everything up yesterday after I got home from work and played a couple of albums I was very familiar with and that I had listened to countless times when I had my old Onkyo in service. Immediately my bass was tighter and louder, my treble was cleaner and more sparkly. Everything was just more forward and lively. I’m impressed because it actually sounds better than my Onkyo which was manufactured in a time when a good phono sound was of great importance.

I’ve listened to 5 albums over the last two days. Each sounded better than I expected. In between sides I’ve killed the music and listened for the hisses and interference I’ve read about. Nothing, nada, zilch! As I write this my needle is on the runout groove of side one of an album. Listening closely, nothing but the soft thump of a new rotation.

I love it and I would recommend anyone pick one up. Even if I lived next door to a radio station, I’d still take a chance.

Edit: I’d also like to add that my RCA’s are Radio Shack brand. It just happened to be what I had on hand. I have some Monoprice cables coming tomorrow which I’ll swap out but I can’t imagine it making much of a difference.

Turntable is a SL-1200 MK2 with an Ortofon Red. I will also say I don’t get any of the reported sibilance. However sibilance has never been a problem for me with this turntable and a proper setup.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Bump on this one for anyone out there. I have a AT440Mlb with a Technics 1200 MKII and I am looking to get one of these Mani's (currently have a Cambridge Audio 651P phono stage).

Thanks

10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have the same cart but cheaper turntable. I used the default settings it came with. Sounds great on my set up like that.

englishbob likes this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

How's the midrange? :)

12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Wouldn't this Cambridge and the Mani be about the same quality?

13. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I did think this initially especially at the price. But at some point in my future plans I will have another turntable in another room in the house, so its a fairly risk-free purchase as I'll need a 2nd phono stage anyway.

I was following these reviews from this YouTube channel, which had me intrigued about the Mani. The guy seems to know his stuff...

Schiit Mani phono: MM Excellent!

Gabe Walters and punkmusick like this.
  14. Gabe Walters

In another vid, he compares the Mani quite favorably to the Arcam rphono ($600).

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

o_O

16. Gabe Walters

I like his reviews. He describes what he hears and provides plenty of samples so we can hear it, too. Not many audio reviewers do that.

Cyclone Ranger and englishbob like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You can? From a youtube video? :)

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The big Western Electric horns from the 1930s sound great on Youtube.

19. Gabe Walters

Yeah. The differences he describes are readily discernible to me from listening to his clips. Have you tried?

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  20. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

I had a Mani for a couple of weeks which replaced a Bellari VP130. It was a definite improvement in overall sound quality and detail. As someone else posted it gave a real sparkle to the music and an almost 3D quality. I auditioned a Lounge Audio LCR MKIII and ended up keeping that and selling the Mani to a friend. Not because I didn't like the Mani but the LCR seemed to smooth out the horns on my Klipsch RF3-II floor standers and improved the sound of all the vinyl I've listened to so far in a way I find more appealing. Not really sure how to describe it other than "warmer" which I didn't think would be possible with the Klipsch. Otherwise I was very impressed with the Mani especially with being able to adjust the gain and load for MM and MC cartridges and the price.

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:shake:

So you readily discern that the Mani sounds better than the Lounge by listening to this video?

I actually own both of them so I know what I'm talking about. I assume you own neither, and have never actually heard them?

22. Gabe Walters

Who is talking about the Lounge? Not me. Once again, I own the Mani. Goodbye.

23. Gabe Walters

Really tired of Lounge owners attacking the Mani on this forum. They can both be great! According to the Lounge’s manufacturer, this reviewer didn’t have a proper power supply when he compared the Lounge to the Mani. So I don’t consider that review valid. But look at the comparison vid between the Mani and the Arcam. There’s a readily discernible difference, even though it’s *gasp!* on YouTube.

24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

He also used PSB's Actually, a digital recording for one and a completely different type of music compared to an acoustic album. I think his review between the two are flawed. Not long after that review he disabled comments. I think it should be taken down and redone, both using the same source album.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I have a Rega Phono mk2. Would the Schiit Mani be a lateral move?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.