Schiit's First Phono Preamp - The $129 "Mani"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Thank you Gabe. Was waiting to hear from at least one person before choosing an inexpensive stage for a budget set-up. I really wanted the Mani to be the great-bang-for-the buck choice as I love their amps and DACs.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I think it is that great bang for the buck. I'm always looking for that kind of deal in entry-level audiophilia, as my analog and digital setups will attest.

I played Television's Marquee Moon, the Rhino reissue, through the Mani today and it was much less sibilant than I remember it being on the Bellari. I mean, the sibilance is still there, it's just more easily handled by the Mani and not rendered as harshly. It's a more enjoyable listen now.

My next upgrade will likely be replacing the 2M Red stylus with the 2M Blue, which hopefully will tame the sibilance even more.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I already decided to skip the Red for the Blue based upon feedback. This isn't an initial foray into vinyl. My last table was a pretty good Nottingham which I sold about seven years ago. I just have a desire for a table as much for the visuals and process as the music. I do get a kick out of getting surprisingly good performance from lower priced gear and the Carbon Debut with the Mani seem good partners.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Might have a tube going microphonic on the Bellari. I'd try a swap out if you're keeping it in the system.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Götterdämmerung!

Ntotrar likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Too late, I sold it. But the RFI is also present on the Mani, which has no tubes. There's a crazy tall broadcasting tower in Richmond. I used to live right under it, and the RFI was worse in that spot. But it's still present miles away.

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It would be great if they merged with Creek Audio... just sayin'... ;)

Wounded Land and Tonmeister like this.
  8. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

I hope this thread isn't dead ?

9. I still like my Mani! It was a good purchase.

10. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Yes, I too would love to hear more impressions/reviews.

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Anywhere else i can buy the Mani? Still not available on Schiit's site.

12. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I'd love to see a budget phono pre-amp comparison with this, the Hagerman Bugle2, and others. Something with this much adjustability at this price point is really something. Hope it's available again soon.

Gabe, what are your thoughts on the Mani's sounds after a month or so with it?

13. Vinyl Addict

If it ever gets back in stock....Im grabbing one of these. Anyone think maybe it will have any improvements when they become available again?

14. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

Hopefully more than 47ohm loading for MCs.

15. Gabe Walters

I still love it. I can only compare it to the Bellari, but I think the Mani is great.

mikeyt and chahooa like this.
  16. I am a huge Schiit fan. I can't speak of reliability of my new Asgard 2 preamp/headphone amp just yet -but ,the sound is all there in spades. They are doing big things for the money you spend with them. I'm ordering a dac from this this week. Get in before the word gets out!

17. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I've actually been on email with them (Schiit) a few times lately asking about the Mani. On Friday they told me they were looking at this week for it to be back in stock, but the week is more than half over now and the site still shows "Out of Stock." So I'm getting anxious for a new phono stage, and am starting to consider the XPS-1 or the Lounge, although it's a bit over my budget. @morinix how about some coupons?? LOL.

I also asked if this next batch has any updates or modifications and was told it is the same Mani.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'll tell you, I'm a huge Schiit fan (listening to my Modi 2/ Lyr 2 combo at the coment), and have never heard the Mani, but the XPS-1 is really good.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Schiit has more stuff out of stock than usual. Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Mjolnir, Mani, and probably some others right now. Makes me wonder if they're out of stock on so much on purpose because they have something to announce at CanJam on March 28th.

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd sort of doubt it actually. They basically revamped their entire product line and released a few new products in 2014. They're probably just reaching a point to where their popularity is outpacing their production.

21. Vinyl Addict

Ive been waiting for this to get back in stock....now I'm broke! lol

22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Well, as of today, only the Mani is showing as out of stock. They must have gotten a shipment since yesterday.

23. Lebowski

The (in stock) XPS-1 is looking more and more attractive...

24. Lebowski

Well, another week has come and gone, and the Mani is still out of stock. Oh well.

I've grown impatient, so have just pulled the trigger on the XPS-1.

25. Vinyl Addict

Im....still.....waiting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.