"Schindler's" List director's cut DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Anyone hear when this is going to be released?

Mr. S. has been working on this for a while now..... The 30 missing minutes.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Finally! One of the best, most moving films ever and it's not on DVD yet. I've been anticipating this more than Star Wars.

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

The latest rumor shows a street date for "Schindler's List" on March 9th.
    Source: The digital bits

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Here's for hoping! I haven't even seen the film since the LD's were released.

5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I've also heard a March 9, 2004 street date for Schindler's List. It'll be great to have this on DVD finally. An incredibly powerful and moving film. Definitely one of Steven Spielbergs' best. Also heard that Duel and Sugarland Express are finally being released next year too!!!

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Will it be the same Duel as the one I got from Amazon awhile back, or did they change something?

7. Steve Hoffman

I think this time the truck wins.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Today's obligatory, predictable Spielberg slam:

No, in this version, they replace the truck with a walkie-talkie.

(Figured I'd deliver this inevitable shot before someone else did - pre-emptive strike kinda thing...)

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Hmmm.... I'll have to check with Nextel on that. I know they were going to modify the soundtrack to include the song "Like A Rock" when that truck showed up in the rear view mirror, but perhaps that idea got dropped when they realized the master tape couldn't be baked anymore (got a bit too crisp around the edges last time since the oven was turned up a bit too high), and couldn't be used for the 5.1 remix. I guess this means poor old Bob won't be getting that royalty check now.

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

This is supposed to be a very elaborate DVD package with interviews with the main people involved with making the movie, and supposedly it will be in widescreen rather than the pan & scan versions that have been on previous VHS and LD copies. Can't wait!! One of my earliest childhood memories is seeing this movie when it was first broadcast on TV.

quote:
    Originally posted by Steve Hoffman

I think this time the truck wins.

LOL!!!:D Touche Msr. Hoffman!!! The re-release of E.T. kinda pissed me off too. Hopefully Spielberg will leave well enough alone on this one!!!

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I also like the movie... when I have watched the movie the first time... I was totally shocked about some scenes!

12. Angel

Angel New Member

I think most people were.

A wonderful and sad movie.

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Widescreen? Wonder how they'd do that. The DVD I have says 1.33:1 on it, and the laserdisc was the same. It was a tv movie originally, so I don't know where a widescreen version would come from. This DVD also has some interviews: "Steve Spielberg On Making Duel", "Steve Spielberg And The Small Screen" (guess this refers to TV), "Richard Matheson: The Writing of Duel". Haven't play it yet. Still sealed.

14. Steve Hoffman

Simple. Chop off the top and bottom of the screen; instant widescreen. Who gives a darn if the top of someone's head is missing. We better wait for a review before we buy this puppy.....(Duel).

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:laugh: Yup! a TV Movie 'Made For Television" is usually Full Frame/Open Matte...The Director wasn't counting on 16 X 9 TV's and owners of such kicking and screaming everytime their W I D E S C R E E N TV's aren't filled up:) Just hate those Black Bars on the SIDES :laugh:

I champion true Widescreen, such as "Braveheart"...amazing difference between the Full Frame and Widescreen! Widescreen is the only way to see that one! I do prefer the T3 Full Frame...YUMMY!:)

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Dual Duels

A slightly different extended cut of Duel was shown theatrically in Europe. It would be cool if they could include both versions. If it was composed for matting (anticipating a theatrical release outside the US) when it was made, then I won't throw a fit if it is widescreen, but the TV version should really be 4:3. IIRC, it was the longer European version that I saw broadcast on TNT a month or two ago.

Regards,

17. GregY

GregY New Member

Still waiting for a 'proper' Jaws DVD with the mono soundtrack and the full documentary from the laserdisc. Probably my favorite Spielberg flick. I never got to see Schindler's List and would like to see it on DVD someday.

18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

All signs are pointing to a March 9, 2004 release date.

19. Ken_McAlinden

20. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

I'd like to talk about the little girl in the red coat.

I'm doing this from memory so I may miss some details. I believe she represents the European Jews. The first time we see her she is scared and alone, running down the street searching for help. Correct me if I'm wrong but I know of no country that entered the war primarily to help the Jews. They were alone and scared. No one was there to help.
    We see the last of her when she is dead. There's people all around the ditch and she goes in without sympathy or a tear. THe viewer is left thinking, how can this happen to that cute little girls and no one seems to even notice.
    She is all the innocence that was murdered. She reeks of innocence. How can you touch the audience on the big picture of the holocaust in a story about one small piece? You have to use a symbol. She is the kitten that's ripped to death by the dogs.
    I found the girl to be very powerful tool. The story of Schindler cannot be told without reference to the big picture. While we see the main characters survive we never forget that innocent little girl that is dead and unshakable. You can't do this movie with only a happy ending for the main characters. You have to have the audience see the little girl face down in the ditch.
    The second time I watched the film I found it harder to look at the little girl. The third time even harder. Each time I want to save her more and I'm left in tears thinking, why doesn't someone help her. I think that's what Spielberg was trying to say. Why didn't someone save her.

21. Ken_McAlinden

IIRC, the girl is literally based on the recollections of one of the Schindler Jews mentioning a little girl in a red coat. I agree with Gary that the way that this is incorporated into the film is very powerful, symbolic, and sobering.

Regards,

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I have this film on LD. I always thought that would be the definitive version. I guess I was wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.