Schitt's Creek (comedy on CBC and Pop cable channel)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Anyone watching this new series, with Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara as the Roses, and their 2 stupid kids?

http://www.cbc.ca/schittscreek/

I guess it's a bit like the Hiltons or Kardashians gone downhill, having to live in poverty. First episode kind of annoyed me, but I got into the swing of it when Mrs Rose gets asked by the Mayor to slap him.

Dan C and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Are the main characters audiophiles?

3. Gene and Catherine are comic geniuses. Nice to see Chris Elliott as well. Looking forward to checking this one out.

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The first 2 episodes were quite disappointing unfortunately.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I'm really liking seeing Levy and O'Hara. These are Faces!

Levy is making me think of Carson in Downton Abbey.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess the their best comedy was spent on coming up with the show title.

7. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Funny schitt! I've seen the first two and will be watching the next. :thumbsup:

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The first few episodes of many great shows were ordinary - for example Seinfeld

9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

SCTV is my favorite show of all-time. I'm wanting to like this more than I'm actually liking it. It's certainly not bad, but more amusing than funny. Eugene created it with his kid (who's also the co-star and writer of the first episode). Chris Elliott is very Chris Elliott in it (in the best way possible). I'll stick with it for awhile.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Have two shows aired? I thought it just started last week. I have one recorded but haven't seen it yet.

11. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

They ran the first two shows back to back. Only watching for Chris Elliot. It runs on "in demand". POPS (?) Network runs in std def (on my TW) even though show is in HD.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Do you really pronounce the name of the show like it is spelled? :laugh:

If so, Candian TV is a lot different than American network TV. Not that I'm surpised.

MikaelaArsenault and RickH like this.
  13. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Yep :D The mayor, played by Chris Elliott is named Roland Schitt.

14. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I guess the Mayor is a Schitt.

15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I was going to start a thread on this, but I see someone already did. At any rate, I've only seen the first two
    episodes, but I'm in. I've been a fan of Catherine O'Hara for decades (all the way back to SCTV) and I've been
    amazed at pretty much everything she's done, especially the Christopher Guest films. And as usual, she's
    terrific in this also, as is Levy and Chris Elliot.
    Also, the actress that plays Stevie Budd (the manager of the motel) is Emily Hampshire, who also plays
    Jennifer Goines on the new "12 Monkeys" series in which she is simply remarkable playing a totally screwed up,
    possibly insane character. Here she is in "12 Monkeys" if you haven't been watching it.

[​IMG]

16. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Letterman got quite a joy out of being able to say the name, he repeated it over and over

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm keeping this show DVR'd. The characterisations and situations twist for lots of weird fun. At the least watch the episode regarding the town sign and Catherine's character being the spokesperson for a winery (Stay to the end on that episode).
    Unlike other Canadian shows I've watched, this one is finding it's groove and weirdness. And in Canada, Canadian shows get no respect or time by anyone. This one has my attention for now at least. (As a people, we take out our aggression in a passive agressive way, on the CBC and Canadian sitcoms. It's a love hate thing).

I find Eugene's son Daniel to really be getting into his character. he also is starting to show his father's sense of comic timing. I also really like the desk woman he interacts with. She seems to be playing straight person to them all but she's an instigator. Great, smart stuff.

This is absurdist comedy done really well and strongly.
    Remember SCTV took a good year to find it's groove too.

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Wife and I just binge watched the first 3 season (Netflix and/or Amazon Prime) and this is the funniest and best show I have seen in years.

Created by Eugene Levy and his son, Daniel the chemistry in the cast is amazing. If you have ever lived in a small town, you will appreciate many of the references.

Very funny ,with lots of heart, this is a great show that deserves a huge audience.

2nd round thread as this 1st one was closed a few years ago.

19. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Big fan. Been watching from the start. Has gotten excre ..um..incrementally better each season.

4_everyman and pablo fanques like this.
  20. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I like it as well. Someone here said if I like Schitt's Creek then I'd like Corner Gas. He was right. I'm currently finishing up season two of Corner Gas on DVD.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. sixtiesstereo

I too DVR it every week and really enjoy it. Love Catherine O'Hara in anything she does.
    And it's great seeing Emily Hampshire (Stevie)..she's one of the best things in the "12 Monkeys"
    series and she's equally terrific in this.
    [​IMG]

22. sixtiesstereo

And if you've never seen Emily Hampshire as Jennifer Goines on 12 Monkeys,
    here's a quick clip with just some of her "craziest" scenes on the series...she gives a
    new meaning to the word crazy, and it's nothing like how she plays Stevie on
    "Schitt's Creek". A simply amazing actress...............

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I am so vested in almost every character on this show... love it.

24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I've grown to love it.
    Spot-on, especially about the "lots of heart" bit. Very warm and funny I find.

25. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Good show, which isn't really a surprise considering the cast. Chris Elliott always cracks me up, going back to his Letterman days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.