Schitt's Creek (comedy on CBC and Pop cable channel)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Sounds like he gets along with everyone just fine. And being on the same show together for six years now, I'd think everyone would be friendly with each other.

Chris Elliott Had a Running Prank on the ‘Schitt’s Creek’ Set, According to Emily Hampshire

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

12 Monkeys the TV show is excellent. Well, at least seasons 1-3 are. I tried to watch Season 4 when it finally came out a year+ later and I couldn't remember what had happened before and couldn't make sense of it. So I need to go back and rehash the series and try again :)

3. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

The series finale is tonight. I'm excited. This show is truly a Canadian gem.

4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Plus, when the episode is finished, they're having a one hour documentary about the show with the cast and crew and
    behind the scenes film clips. Can't wait for it....

pablo fanques and boggs like this.
  5. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

When things get back to "normal", I was thinking of doing a day trip to the area where the exteriors were shot.

pablo fanques likes this.
  6. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Nice.

7. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I’ve been watching old SCTV episodes during quarantine and I think I may have stumbled upon Catherine O’Hara’s origin for her Moira Rose accent. In Season 2 episode 6, she plays a character named Barbie Summers in a promo for “One is Enough” who has many of the same vocal affectations as our dear Moira. It’s not a total match but the vibe is there. Definitely got a chuckle out of that

8. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I watched Season One recently and I give it two thumbs up! Waaaaaaaay up. This show is really good if you want to just relax, laugh out loud and forget that really bad stuff is going on all around you.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yeah, I dug this up and agree...character has differences but the affectations are very close. Great shows, O'Hara is fantastic.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Catherine was really good in The Outer Limits episode called The Revelation Of Becca Paulson.

sixtiesstereo and pablo fanques like this.
  12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Just finished the final season. The writing wasn't as good, and the show often relied too much on character schtick (like Daniel Levy's neurotic exasperation routine). "Schtick's Creek", I guess you could say. It still was reasonably entertaining.

13. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

We just binged seasons 1-5 earlier this week. Season 6 is not on Netflix (US) yet. I thought it was really good until Levy became co-manager of the motel (around season 3). I guess the writers ran out of things for the character to do all day? But I think it changed it into more of a Newhart/Fawlty Towers thing.

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The first two seasons were hilarious, but with Season Three it's suddenly turned into FRIENDS, i.e., a sappy, once-funny sitcom about who's sleeping with whom, who's trying to sleep with whom, blah blah blah.

Also like FRIENDS, the expanding cast of twenty-somethings look like professional models with 24/7 access to a gym, skin care professionals, etc., even though the town elders are "normal." So the Rose daughter's good looks are no longer even remarkable.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This was the first sit com in probably 25 years that held my interest for more than 5 minutes.

Well except maybe the detectorists...

ted321 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. sixtiesstereo

For fans of the show (like myself) the Emmy nominations were just announced, and all four
    of the main cast (finally) are nominated:
    Eugene Levy (outstanding lead actor in a comedy series)
    Catherine O'Hara (lead actress in a comedy series)
    Annie Murphy (best supporting actress in a comedy series)
    Daniel Levy (supporting actor in a comedy series)
    Plus, "Schitt's Creek" is nominated for best comedy series
    All SHOULD win, but probably only Catherine O'Hara will win....
    [​IMG]

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm not really a fan to be honest, but probably because I was never really a fan of Eugene Levy nor Catherine O'Hara.

The few times I have seen it, it was Daniel Levy that caught my attention. I think he's destined for bigger and better things.

oh yeah....I really can't stand Chris Elliott. I've seen him pop-up every now and then ever since his David Letterman writer days in the eighties. I couldn't stand him then either.

18. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Daniel should be considered the lead.

and of course...

19. misterjones

I think the show deserved awards for past seasons, but the final season was not up to par. (What final seasons are?) I love Eugene Levy's characters, but as a straight comedic actor he's merely very good (and the same goes for Catherine O'Hara). Daniel Levy is excellent, but he didn't have a lot to work with this year. I find the most engaging to be Jennifer Robinson (Jocelyn Schitt) and Emily Hanpshire (Stevie), neither of which are quite as over-the-to as some of the other characters.

20. sixtiesstereo

Well, I have to disagree. Catherine O'Hara is a national treasure. If you look at her huge body of work,
    all the way back to SCTV, she is one of the most remarkable personalities in entertainment. And when she
    and Eugene Levy are together.. it's magic. From "A Mighty Wind":

pablo fanques and George P like this.
  21. Veggie Boy

sorry but you can't disagree with the fact that I am not a fan.

I've watched SCTV since first run in Canada in the seventies. Beyond that I am familiar with her body of work as well as to a lesser extent Eugene Levy's. I don't begrudge Catherine or Eugene a good lasting career. Good for them. I'm just not a fan.

meh

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. Veggie Boy

Dan Levy with wins on Supporting Actor, Directing, and writing. Rock On Dan!!

24. misterjones

As a “Series Achievement Award”, it makes sense, as would any awards for previous seasons. As with most or all final seasons, SC was mediocre at best. Or was all TV that mediocre last year? Could be, as I don’t watch a lot of it.

25. sixtiesstereo

Plus, she starred in a "Tales From The Crypt" episode from back in 1994. She's terrific in it, but it's
    definitely different then normal. And she looks great....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.