Schitt's Creek (comedy on CBC and Pop cable channel)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I've heard of that episode before.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Netflix just announced October 7th as it's broadcast date.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I really liked the final season! I am thrilled for all their Emmy wins! Too bad there weren’t enough categories for Stevie and Patrick to win too!

5. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

And a little love for Chris Elliott! Nobody plays "gross guy" like he does.

6. pghmusiclover

Honestly all of the supporting cast on this ("Twy" -- love that Alexis calls her that, Ronnie, Jocelyn and Ted) is pretty stellar!

7. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I agree. I'm only nearing the end of season five, but for a while, I felt like Stevie was a bit of a weak link. But once they gave her more to do, more conflicts and choices she could make about them, she won me over. For a while there it seemed like she was just kind of there to react to other people being funny or foolish. But in season five she's risen up to the level of everyone else for me, it just took a change in the writing of the character.

8. pghmusiclover

Incidentally, I truly feel that the final scene with Alexis and Ted in the diner truly showed how Annie deserved that Emmy...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

At home, Emily Hampshire has won five straight Canadian Screen Awards (the Canadian Emmys). Noah Reid has won one too.

It was nice to see Annie Murphy win an award -- at the CSA's she is nominated alongside Catherine O'Hara as a lead actress and has lost to her four times.

10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Shr had a major role in the Syfy series 12 Monkeys. Once that wrapped it seems she was given more to do on SC and again she rose to the occasion. Emily Hampshire is amazing and bigger things are sure to come. She also had a key role in a series of Super Bowl commercials this year. Her star is clearly on the rise

11. George P

George P Notable Member

So happy for her! She's great!!

12. violarules

violarules Senior Member

The transformation of Alexis over the course of 6 seasons made Annie's win worthy, for sure.

Also, how many other actors have so many memes based on one character? That's gotta be worth something. :D

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Just stumbled on this tribute to Eugene Levy (for an award he was getting). It's
    simply remarkable how they got ALL of these people to give on screen tributes to
    him, including the ENTIRE cast of Schitt's Creek plus SCTV (Andrea Martin, Martin Short).
    If you've been missing Schitt's Creek since it wrapped up, this will give you a really good
    feeling. What a sensational group of people. (Plus you get Chris Elliot in a huge white beard...).
    Also, Levy mentions toward the end that there's a "chance" they'll maybe do something additional in the future for "Schitt's Creek" :goodie:

14. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Seven episodes into Season 1. When does it start getting funny? And the kids less annoying? Not sure I can handle the fey son much longer, or the motel clerk who looks like Michael Jackson. The welcome sign controversy was funny, but not exactly groundbreaking.

15. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

If you haven't started laughing by Episode 6, Season 1 (when Moira is asked to be the spokesperson for a local winery) then I would say the show is not for you. Although I would plead with you to give the show a chance and at least finish the first two seasons. The show really begins to blossom in Season 2 with better character development and a great season finale which sets the foundation for the remainder of the series.

I initially never gave Schitt's Creek a chance. When I first started watching it the show just felt like a knock off of Corner Gas (another great Canadian comedy program). But if you hang in there the show pays off in a big way and I can say this is one of the best comedy programs made in a long time. Eugene Levy & Catherine O'Hara are Canadian National treasures.

16. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

^ Thanks. I'm watching on CBC Gem with a VPN and have nothing better to do, so I'll persist into Season 2. I thought the wine episode was weak. Chris Elliott is fine in small doses.

MikaelaArsenault and JCRW like this.
  17. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Season 2 is where things really pick up. Like you I found Alexis and David to be practically unbearable at the beginning but there ends up being a purpose to this. Both of their characters expand in a positive way in Season 2 and beyond. If it helps any, Chris Elliott's character remains a small dose role in the series with the occasional pivotal moments thrown in. You will also see some significant character expansion with Johnny and Moira.

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

currently in season 4 and still wishing for the death of Roland. oh well.

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I continue to be surprised at the spell this show casts upon people who apparently are compelled to sit through episode after episode, season after season, while still not enjoying it. Think of all the other more enjoyable shows you could be watching instead of wasting your time with this one!

Kevin j likes this.
  20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

"I love this bed ... I'm so glad you're not my brother." It was almost worth waiting 8 episodes for this line.

21. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Yes, the Season 2 finale was beautiful, and Season 3's wasn't too bad. Well, I did 45 episodes in recent days, and feel it's time to move on to humorous programming.

PROS:
    Chris Elliott
    + his wife
    Eugene Levy
    Alexis and the Ted the vet arc
    David and the $10,000 Blouse Barn episode
    The drum roll between scenes
    Supporting players, incl. Ronnie and Twyla
    It's always sunny in Canada
    21 minutes goes quickly

CONS:
    Everything else regarding David. Most annoying character in TV. The major obstacle to further watching.
    Pretty much everything about Moira. Ghastly.
    The costuming, esp. for the above two. Overkill on the sight gag.
    Overkill on Alexis' and Moira's fanciful jetset reveries.
    The "write-off" scene was done better in Seinfeld
    The menarche scene was done better in Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Joke repetition, incl. Johnny and Roland discussing The Godfather

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    JCRW likes this.
  22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Interesting point. There are a number of shows over the past few years, I have noticed, that people are watching more to be ‘part of the conversation’, than for the actual enjoyment.

23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Finished today, and watched
    the after-show.

LOVE this show!!!

pablo fanques and George P like this.
  25. flower_picker

flower_picker Well-Known Member

Favorite scene: when Stevie puts on the makeup that Johnny bought her. I’m honestly not sure why this made me laugh as hard as it did but I was crying.

Billy Infinity and pablo fanques like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.