DCC Archive Sckott... I bought 4 RCA 6189s on ebay...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

...for my foreplay preamp. They sound good, but they're *EXTREMELY* microphonic. If I tap my finger on the table that the preamp sits on I get a big gong sound. Is that normal for this tube? I didn't have that with the GE 12AU7's that came with the kit.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Green printed?

The tubes are known to be Microphonic (check audioasylum) but mine have no problem whatsoever. I mean, they're in my phono preamp, and on flat-hardwood floors, knowing the resonance must me insane, I don't get feedback or boomerangs even when I'm crankin' it, and I'm rolling that sub I just fixed too.

Hey, let me know. :(

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. Drew

Oops. Nope. Guess I missed that detail. They don't sound bad. My paramours came with Chinese Valve Arts 2A3's. I'd rather screw up on the (relatively) cheap preamp tubes than the expensive output tubes.

4. Sckott

Doc still ain't sent my Foreplay either. [​IMG] I emailed him last week and he said he and his operation are moving offices, and they should have the wood kits in this week.

I ordered the kit, accoring to my CC, about 10/14. Getting it would brighten up my sucky month. How long did it take you to build and solder, minus the wood fanagaling?

How much did the 6189's go for, for you? Shoulnd't be much. I got a 5 pack in sleeves and outer JAN box for $9. Hey, if all go well with the Foreplay, I'll send you two of mine... Just hope the Mullards I have saved are okay. I'm pretty sure they are.

5. Drew

I bought 4 6189's for $25, not including shipping. Its not a big deal. I have carpeted floors and I don't notice it unless I bump the table its on.

I thoroughly enjoy the experimentation aspect of it.

I hear the RCA single plate 2A3's are the ultimate of that valve. A pair of 'em went for $405 recently on ebay. I think I'm going to probably settle for some Sovtek's for $70 at www.thetubestore.com.

I think you can build the foreplay in about a day with no interruptions. I built most of mine at work but took 2 days. While not completely devoid of interruptions, I'm lucky to have a job where I can play if everything is running smooth. ;)

I think the foreplay was a little more difficult to build than the paramour amps.
    Just the angles you have to get at with the soldering iron.

Let me know how those Mullards sound. I might have to keep an I eye out on ebay.

6. Sckott

Thanks for letting me know. Had a feeling the Foreplay woulnd't be exactly like baiting a hook. Great. A challange. The PH-1 was one, in that I felt my concentration was...err...well concentrated on getting the thing done. Soldering angles were murderous. Two bottom solder lugs went right under the lip of the bottom of the kit, so you have to solder with the hopes that you can SEE what you're doing. Is the solder flowing? Hmm... Let me use ESP.

Yeah, that Knight tuner had some totally CLEAN common tubes in it. Pitty 2 of them were "bad", but they had on tin-wraps. They look like condoms for tubes, basically used to disperse heat. The 12AU7 Mullard I pulled out looked NEW. The other one I got for $20 from an eBay, just a single. They'll both go in first, then I'll roll the 6189s I like.

It's a totally different application, so anything goes. The Sovteks are nice tubes. I was just contemplating how they're 5AR4 was rock f---ing solid for a power rectie. That's that tube on my sig. I'm getting the new EL-34's soon, they're getting better reviews than last, and I'm just curious. No biggie, because they're very inespensive.

7. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

The Sovtek 5AR4 is a good rectifier for WAY less money than an old Mullard. Also, I love the EI 6CA7 fatbottles in my ST-70. You may want to give them a try. Also, very affordable.

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I also have a Foreplay on order. Nice to know there are DCCers I can kibitz with.

9. Sckott

Just have patience. Drew waited 4-5 weeks, and I'm still waiting 7 weeks. :( Bottlehead products take time....

10. Drew

Actually... I waited about 9 weeks for the foreplay and about 11 for the Paramour amps.

I made my order for both the first week of September. Bottlehead hosted the VASC 2001 (a big vacuum tube amplification convention) that weekend which was a big undertaking. A couple days of that of course was the Sept 11 attack which I believe slowed everything down. Then Doc Bottlehead and his wife were invited to some small get together of vacuum tube afficianados in the New England states I believe. Now, as Sckott mentioned recently, they're moving their offices.

I received my foreplay preamp in the middle of November, and the Paramours came about 10 days later.

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, let's all keep in touch so we can brag about how good our DCC's sound running through a "breath of life" pre-amp...

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

So, just how many Bottleheads are there on this forum, anyway?

I've had my foreplay for a bit over a year and love it (built by a friend with an EE degree and heavily modified).

I've done some tube rolling and in my system the Amperex 7316 PQ works best. Great tube top to bottom. Worth a shot if you can get your hands on a set at a fair price.

Cheers,
    Mike
    :cool:

13. Drew

Actually, I've been spending a lot of time over on the Nelson Pass website (www.passlabs.com). They have a page of DIY class a amplifier projects (but all solid state). Anyone here ever try any of these?

14. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, I'm completely stoked about getting my Foreplay. Fingers crossed it will get here by December 25th (got some time off from work to play).

I'm also going to build some DIY power cords and interconnects.

And am SO looking forward to hearing my DCCs though the tubes....

15. RDK

RDK Active Member

Just got my first tube amp the other day -- one of Steve Deckert's Zens -- and love it to death even though it's still burning in. Was thinking about building a Foreplay to go with it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this combo or other Foreplay-SETs.
    Ray

16. Sckott

I don't know if this helps or hurts other's expectations, but it's been since the confirmed order date of 10/14 and still no Foreplay from Doc. I'm a bit dissapointed, but still with an open mind.

17. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

No experience matching a foreplay with the Zen but I have heard the Zen coupled with Steve Deckert's Zen Triode Line Stage (model ZSLA-1) and it was pretty incredible!

18. Sckott

Foreplay received finally. If I show up less on this board all during this weekend, it's because I'm uh... Christmas shopping! Yah!

19. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Well, Doc B had recently posted his shipping schedule on the Bottlehead discussion board, so I'm not surprised you got it.

So? Having fun?

*S*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.