DCC Archive Sckott, Japanese Manuf Plants

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I just listened to EJ Capt Fantastic - wow! Excellent production. Reminds me of East/West Japan.

Toshiba EMI seems to sound like normal domestic releases. Booooo.....

East / West Japan definitely sound superior than domestic. Now I am wondering if Universal International / Victor Entertainment has the same manuf. as East West Japan?

Do you know? If true, I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Thanks, Sckott.....

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Well I don't think we'll REALLY know what goes into those Japanese releases every time. Plus, its best to listen to the latest Island domestic of Brown Dirt to really give a fair A/B and you can use a girlfriend or buddy to help ya. Blind taste tests.

The Toshiba/EMI's aren't always that similar. It really depends, and it sometimes takes weeks of listening to find it's more similar or different. I do think they are using better DAC-to-plate technologies than any of us Yankees. I constantly A/B my Floyd WYWH. I'm odd though, and still like the 'sound' of the US early pressing on vinyl. Possibly because I bought one in 1983, but the silent passages were real noisy. I've had luck with my recent earlier pressed 2nd hand copy.

The LP-sized slipcases and art are pure fettish. The Japanese do a great job and printing almost anything, and the people on projects even simulate posters and lyric sheets as they were released in the US. Talk about music fans, dem Japanese!

My JPN DSM mastered Miles Davis' "KOB" is absolutely beautiful, as most any JPN imports for Jazz.

COunt on one thing though, they are HIGHLY strict on the QC. That can sometimes make a disc sound dramatically better, or at the very least - sound the SAME as domestic releases. Get em because you're collecting. I have a bunch of JPN imports, Tons o' Lps with Obi's, Cds with the LP replica layout. The disc inside rarely falls flat.

Think and listen twice, three times...etc... Doubt yourself big time.. let a week pass, and then compare and see if you agree with yourself from weeks past.

Keep listening. Keep listening.

Take a look at the runoff numbers at your Universal and RCA/Victor discs. Compare the numbers and the CD manufacture. I bet they're made by JVC, both of them. Looks like well defined numbers with squarish hyrogliphics going in different directions (like the "E" eye charts you have to read on eye exam... they go up, down....) That's JVC/Victor in Japan, and their US pressing plant carries the same high quality standards and some equipment as Japan, MFSL used the US plant for a lot of their gold discs, as by that time, they COULD do the gold thing along with the quality (UDII's)

If you pay attention to the way they're manufactured, you might find some interesting archeology... but it might not be any revelation to you later. It's just interesting how they make those puppies and through whom.

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

3. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Hey Sckott,
    Could you tell a difference between the Japanese Kind of Blue and the domestic remastered release? I had the Japansese SRCS 9701 (I believe that was the number) and it sounded exactly the same to me. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    -Jon

4. Sckott

Well I don't own a 6-eye original, and many tell me that's the definate article. When I 1st got a hold of the early Columbia CD, it sounded ok, but the remasters afterwards basically killed it big time. Now, if I heard a 6-eye, I would "get it" I'm sure, with dynamics that are possibly less coloured. I'll say one thing; Don't waste your money on the $13 Sony 180g, it just stinks. Even if just for fun, the quality of the pressing is sad, nevermind mastering.

The Japanese issue in question to the US CD of recent has slightly better dynamics, but so, so close. The newest Classic Recs issue is also very good, sometimes better, sometimes not.

Hate to be so vague, but then again, listening to the Classic issue on Vinyl with tube amplification is one thing, and a Japanese CD is totally another too. I listen to both alternately, and enjoy what both has to offer....

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

5. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

I'd have to say in certain instances the Japanese Miles CD's absolutely SMOKE the U.S. issues. For example the Japanese Mastersound pressings of In A Silent Way, Files De Kilimanjaro, Jack Johnson, Seven Steps To Heaven, My Funny Valentine are AWESOME ! The US pressings suck, probably because they have yet to be properly remastered. The US remasters for Kind Of Blue, Milestones and Round About Midnight sound just as good as the Japanese pressings to my ears, but the US pressings include bonus tracks and are half the price. It all comes down to the particular title; when and where it's been remastered, who it's been remastered by, etc... Thankfully this forum has provided me with plenty of good advice and saved me much money over the past few years when it comes to finding the best sounding CD's. Happy Listening !

-ED :)

6. Sckott

No, actually the Japanese issues of almost every one of those titles came out in Lp-slipcase covers WITH and without bonus tracks. Both were in very short runs. Weird.

7. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Collectors Items Japanese release destroys the OJC issue, "Round About Midnight (JPN) is way better than the old US version (haven't heard the recent US remaster). Which of the quintet versions do you guys prefer? Japanese, DCC or XRCD. I've got the XRCDs, which are substantially better than the OJCs, but I wonder how they compare to the others?

Hey Sckott, I read some of your posts back when you were just getting into tube components and I know (I think) you're running a couple ST-70s as monoblocks. I was wondering:
    1. What kind of preamp are you using?
    2. What interconnects are you using between the two? (that will fit on the ST-70)
    3. Do you have a tube CD player?

8. Sckott

"Hey Sckott, I read some of your posts back when you were just getting into tube components and I know (I think) you're running a couple ST-70s as monoblocks. I was wondering:"

Nope. ST-70's as monoblocks are kinda silly. If you wanna get anal about it, it's best to get units with same-batch numbers and components (which I don't have) and "in-batch" tubes, which I don't have. When you monoblock the ST70 the actual sonics aren't as good as if you left the thing to do it's rightful stereo job, trust me. If you really wanna mess with it, you might want to mod it to bring up a stronger high-end, but I'm even going to un-mod my main Dynie soon.

I have used 2 Dynaco ST70's for 4 channel. One is bone-stock, other was upgraded with Sound Valves upgrade board and left for dead. Problem? Bad hookup wire and tubes. Bingo. together, both were used for the use of DTS and DD. I was using DIY high-efficiancy speakers and a sub. It kicked some ass. Recently though, I've aquired some amazing speakers, the Acoustat model 3's, wired with Monster Cable with the Medialion transformer upgrade. Cost? Free (guy said, get em out o' here and they're you'rs!), and they're 100% fine (might want to change the grill cloth, kinda grundgy but Steve said "Leave it, gives it charactor!" heh. These speakers are 58" high. 28" wide. (looks just like the picture on the bottom of this page: http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl-circuit/Commercial/Acoustat-ACO/9041CMACO-PIC-M-3.htm )

Dynaco's with Acoustat electrostatics? Nope. The speakers kept saying "Drive me hard, bitch!" I went ahead and bought an old SS Hafler H-225 amp, with close to 175 wpc at 4ohms. Result? I was playing Steve's "McCartney" last night, and playing "Kreen - Akrore" I got the most realistic "he's in your living room" sound. I mean, the precussion, my eyes kept blinking because it really sounded like he WAS there. It was spooky. Right on time for Halloween. These speakers fill the room and the subtle sounds are absolutely and purely realistic to the nth degree. Definately the best speakers I've ever heard...BUT they need power, and lots. No 65wpc is gonna do diddly!

So, I took one of the Dynacos down to the pyseudo-furnished part of the basement, gonna build Doc's Foreplay, put a Cd player on it, maybe a tuner ;) and use my ol' efficiant speakers down there. It'll keep the spiders out.

1. What kind of preamp are you using?

A: Rotel RTC-965. It will do audio, video, RCA/Coax, optical, and S-Video. DTS and DD compatable. Very sensitive and smooth. It has a phono preamp on it, but I'm using Carey's PH-1 from AES, a tube kit preamp to the AUX 5 in. Yep, it has lots of ins!

2. What interconnects are you using between the two? (that will fit on the ST-70)

A: Huh? Not getting you there, but then again, I'm not and never did monoblock the ST-70's. I used them as straight stereo pairs to use on DTS CDs and the like. Very effective!

3. Do you have a tube CD player?

No. Opical CDP Sony type (can't remember the model no.) but I like the optical out, goes right to the preamp, easy and pure. Optical works best when using DTS Cds. Now, even my bootleg DTS Cds work great. On coax, because of the type of DTS they were written with, doesn't work as hot.

I'm not convinced at such a low output level that a tube CD player is vital. The heavier amplication catalyst is best tubed, which is after your preamp stage. In the work basement, I'll have tube pre and amp, so It'll be fun!

Anyone is also better off with something LIKE a Rotel, because you can hook ANYTHING up to it (modern or vintage units), and then either send it to tube amps OR soft SS amps. See? Easy and flexible, and most audiophiles change their equipment all the time, so that was a smaat purchase :)

No, with my Hafler? I don't miss the Dynaco at all. Wow.

9. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

The reason I had all of the questions are the following:
    First, I'm not thinking about monoblocking ST-70s for many of the reasons you pointed out. I have a bone stock ST-70 that I want to keep that way as long as possible. It's been strong for the 2 years I've owned it. By the way, I love the Ei fat bottles that I have in it.
    My PAS-2 preamp, however, is so damn ugly that I NEED to get something else quick. I have a Foreplay preamp (which is currently on Ebay #1288962689) but it was not the answer for me. The PAS-2 is slightly quieter.
    Concerning the interconnects, didn't you have a difficult time finding interconnects that were small enough to fit the snug, way to close together inputs on the ST-70?
    Finally, I was wondering if an obvious tube-nut such as yourself had any experience with tube CD players. I swear by them. I have an AH! New Tube 4000 and a Dynaco CDV-2 (it's actually on Ebay right now also) and they are both very warm.
    Actually, I must love warmth because my system (ST-70, AH 4000, PAS-2 & Polk 10Bs) have all been described as extremely warm.
    I just wonder how many times someone with a system like mine listens to a disc and says "it sounds great" and somewith with a ss system listens to it and says "it sounds horrible. way to bright & harsh." Just some thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.