Scottish session bassist John Giblin, RIP (1952-2023)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bloodisthin, May 16, 2023.

1. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men Thread Starter

Remembering bassist John Giblin | Kate Bush News

Sad news. John Giblin played with a vast number of famous musicians from the 80s onward and his playing is on many albums in my collection: Peter Gabriel's Melt, Phil Collins' Face Value, Brand X's Product, John Martyn's Grace & Danger, Scott Walker's Tilt, and six Kate Bush albums including the Before the Dawn live box set. A wonderful melodic player who added crucial texture to a lot of great music. RIP bassist.

2. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Great player. I was listening to him with Kate Bush last night. RIP.

3. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

First became aware of him from his work with Simple Minds and then saw his name pop up on various other albums I bought. He seemed to be much in demand and worked with the best which says much about his talent.

RIP John

4. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

He's on many of my records...great bass player.
    Rest in peace Mr. Giblin.

5. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

I know John’s playing from his work with John Martyn and Kate Bush. A great musician. RIP.

6. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I would've heard first heard John's playing on the Simple Minds 'ONCE UPON A TIME' album, which I enjoyed very much. RIP.

7. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Sad day for me, as a huge Simple Minds fan. RIP John.

8. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

That's really sad news - I was playing Grace & Danger - one of my favourites from Martyn, and I remember being really impressed by the bass playing when I first heard it in 1980.

RIP

9. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Terrific musician and one of my favourite bass players. RIP John

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

One of the reasons why I have a soft spot for "Street fighing years" is his awesome bass playing; what a major talent. 71 is too young to go.

RIP Mr. Giblin.

11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

RIP. The world loses another fine musician.

12. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

When I was first buying records, his name was regularly appearing. For those who are aware, I'd argue his work was as important to the sound of 80's music as Pino Palladino, his well known bass playing contemporary.

Mourn the passing, hail the talent.

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rest easy, Mr. Giblin.

The work on Peter Gabriel's third album alone is worthy of accolades.

14. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

RIP. Apart from many things, he was part of what I refer to as the 'Phenomenal Quartet' of the late Duncan Browne, Tony Hymas, John Giblin, Simon Phillips.

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Man, such a drag.
    One of my favourite players. John and Phil Collins made such a killer rhythm section.

16. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Years ago I wondered who that bass player was with the distinctive fretless-sounding slide-y style on Kate Bush albums and many others, and realised it was John. Really added to the music. Very sad he's gone.

17. Homemade Parachute

Homemade Parachute Forum Resident

As in another thread, talking about liner notes and reading all the credits for an album: John Giblin had one of those “invisible” careers, playing with almost everyone and defining a sound of a decade, but quietly, from the background. And then as narrow as my own musical tastes range (and they’re pretty narrow, I have to admit), I can call up a half dozen or more albums easily that I adore that Mr Giblin leant his awesome talents to. What a tremendous legacy.

18. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Some lovely fretless bass playing by John for the Kate Bush track, 'Breathing', recorded at Abbey Road studios in January 1980.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

To be honest I haven't heard the name, but he must have been an incredible musician to have appeared on all these.

RIP.

20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

RIP, really sad to hear of his death.

21. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

As a bass player (and as a person) I’m really sad to hear it. RIP

22. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

23. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

I first knew of John from his time working with Simple Minds. I saw him live with the band on their 1986 tour. I’m very fond of the two studio albums he did with them. Nice to see a lovely tribute from Kate there as well.

R.I.P John.

DTK, MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.
  24. redmedicine

redmedicine Pop Punk Psych Prog

Among many other accomplishments, his debut gig with Simple Minds was at this little gathering.

25. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I was a fan of his work with Brand X and John Martyn. When I heard he and Omar Hakim (former Weather Report drummer) were to be the rhythm section for the Kate Bush shows in 2014 I was enthralled.

I have very clear memories of their playing together the night I attended. They were amazing, the heart of the band, in my view.

He will be sadly missed.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    MikaelaArsenault and PH416156 like this.