Scratched vinyl*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Emifon1, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emifon1

Emifon1 Active Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    HELP! I was playing my newly bought record but then it started jumping I was trying to clean it but then I pressed the stylus against the record, MISTAKE is there any hope I can fix it?

siebrand likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What is the deal with people not using proper punctuation here, lately?
    Could the OP please add some periods. You obviously can't have two "but" scenarios in a single sentence. And the fact that you are capitalizing letters isn't helping sort out sentence breaks.

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

proper punktuation is a thing of the past apparently young people probably using phones for texting and dont know what what hyphons and fullstops and capitol letters and spelling and stuff it shouldnt matter becasue we should no what they mean and we should be able to translate it and give clear advice and stuff

4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

The stream of consciousness is not to be stopped by mediocre punctuation

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum! I am afraid the groove is scored, and not repairable. The damaged section probably produces a "hissing" sound and distortion of the music. I have never seen that much damage from a magnetic cartridge or moving coil cartridge, even from "pressing" down on it! (the stylus retracts into the cartridge body which does not usually cause damage to the record) I have seen this on used records presumably played on a consumer record changer with a "stiff" ceramic cartridge. How did the other scratches occur, the ones across the groove?

You need to take better care of your records... this is very bad!

Proper punctuation isn't so necessary for your short question, however a more detailed and lengthy posting should be typed out so that people do not have to interpret (separating sentences) just to simply understand the question!

6. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I don't like vinyl because it is always noisy and scratched too many times.
    unfortunately, nothing can be done to recover the damage done.

But a comment like that of @vinylontunes seems to me to be completely wrong, in the ways, and useless, specifically.

Following this logic, only those who are really good and capable of writing the English language could participate here.

I myself probably could not be part of this forum.

Anyway.
    Have a nice day, in any case, everyone!

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It's not that for me, but 'Laziness' and not being 'Bothered' is another thing....

Dennis Metz and bever70 like this.
  8. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Everything started to go downhill when Latin and ancient Greek were dropped from the primary school curriculum.

Once records have been scratched they are scratched. The best course of action is to make a needledrop and edit those pesky scratches out.

ShallowMemory and Satrus like this.
  9. Emifon1

10. Emifon1

I though I could clean using a toothpick along the Stylus while it played.

11. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

chill out man!

12. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

You might want to check your stylus also after that fine piece of shredding.

13. Emifon1

I played it again and it causes a little static noise. But there’s a lot of filth in the grooves which is hard to see which is why it’s always jumping.

14. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

Have fun.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That does look like damage caused by a chipped/damaged stylus, start playing the same record from just after the damage and see if the colour of the vinyl changes, becoming lighter as the stylus travel around, if so your stylus is toast and will damage anything it plays, even if it doesn't cause any obvious visible damage I'd still try and get it checked, as for the vinyl, that tracks is ruined, no coming back from that.

Man at C&A, tin ears, E.Baba and 3 others like this.
  16. Emifon1

When I turn the flashlight off it’s hard to find the scratch within the grooves

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Check stylus. Might be time for a new one.

Clean record, try again. Might be time for another copy, looks like groove damage, maybe.

Groove damage and deep scratches cannot be fixed.

E.Baba and Dubmart like this.
  18. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I think it's just the overall "Dumbing Down" of the human population. People don't seem to care if they look like they only have a 3rd grade education.

19. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Can the threadcrapping end, please? Nobody asked for the grammar police to invade this thread. We don't know the age or background of the OP. Geez. If I wanted to read the ramblings of a teacher, I'd go back to school...LOL! Quarantine is getting some of you...badly. Chill. Out.

I'm afraid your record is fried, @Emifon1. I wish I had better news. Here's hoping it's fairly easily replaceable. I've seen that shredding before and it is indeed a goner. My condolences...seriously. I feel you...

Ed

20. Trace

Trace Senior Member

21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Im guessing OP wont return here...

Edit: nevermind

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  22. Leonthepro

Who?

Which post are you refering to?

23. Leonthepro

Poor records.

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Handling a headshell or stylus while its engaged with a spinning record is a guaranteed disaster. Kind of like repairing a car while its rolling.

Make sure your TT / tonearm / cartridge is a) not damaged ro defective and b) set up correctly.

Also try washing the record carefully and running a toothpick gently along the grooves where the scratch it. Thats about all you can do.

luckybaer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.