SCTV is finally coming to DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I got linked to this news from the SCTV guide .

The first DVD set of the classic “SCTV” show, based on the Second City comedy group, is in production for a January release, Video Store Magazine has learned. There’s no word yet on a distributor.

The only reason it has taken so long to hit DVD is because of music clearance issues, said Second City veteran Eugene Levy, who is probably better known as the pie-proffering dad in the “American Pie” movies.

“Every tune that we used over eight years had to be re-tossed a lot of money just for clearance, to re-license these things,” Levy said.

The DVD release will not be a “complete first-season” package, Levy said. “SCTV” began as a series of half-hour shows but eventually moved to a 90-minute format when the program began airing on NBC. The DVD collection starts with those 90-minute shows.

“Those really are, I think, the best shows,” Levy said. “The show reached its creative peak in those 90-minute shows on NBC.

“If they started with season one, I’d go, ‘Boy, we’ll never make season two. It’s not going to work.’”

Levy said the decision was made to start the DVD collection with the 90-minute shows because it’s always smart to “start with your strongest stuff.”

Not that the earlier programming was bad.

“There were some great shows in the first [season],” Levy said. “The first couple of seasons are funny, but they’re raw. We didn’t have a lot of money so the sets look a little chintzy.

“I have a soft spot for them because it was the very beginning, but it’s hard to look at some of the stuff now only because everybody was still fumbling around a little bit.”

Still, Levy has fond memories of those growing pains.

“We just got out of theater and we’re now doing a television show,” he said. “It took a while before we developed our writing styles.

“We started writing a half-hour television show the way we did Second City theater, which was we’d all get in a room and try to improvise stuff.

“Then you realize it’s just not a very efficient way of writing a weekly television show.

“So, by the time we learned to break up into groups and actually start writing, we went through some bumpy times.”

Looking back at the old shows, Levy feels they hold up well.

“We created our own universe with ‘SCTV,’” he said. “The brilliance of the idea was that you’re creating a television station in your own town, so you develop all these characters at the station and you eventually got into characters in the town, like Mayor Tommy Shanks.

“We had Melonville elections, with continuing news coverage, election central and all that stuff. These ads would come on for local aldermen who were running for Melonville that you’d show throughout the programming. We got so into the underbelly of this world we created that it’s almost completely insular from being dated.”

DVD producers are in the process of putting together bonus content for the “SCTV” set, and Levy is ready to play a part in the extras.

“They’re doing that stuff now and finding whatever footage that they can muster, off-camera stuff or anything else,” he said. “There will be commentary. They’re trying to organize that.”

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Thank goodness they're starting with the NBC stuff! No waiting for the primo material, like with the Simpsons. I can't wait!

"Grilled cheese and soup -- how pleasant."

"That's right, Edna."

"Who's burning trash in their room? I specifically said no burning of trash."

"And if we were in El Paso, you'd still have your accent."

"O'er the land of the . . . free-pers, creepers, where'd you those peepers, jeepers, creepers, where'd you get that . . . home of the . . . most beautiful girl in the world, she picks my tie up, she drinks my brandy, she eats my candy . . . in the home of the . . . brave.

4. stereoptic

I agree completely! Pretty spooky, hah kids????

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Some of the early low budget stuff is some of the BEST stuff they did!
    I'd love to see the old stuff........I can't recall if the Moe Green stuff was NBC or the old show.....or the one with the Russian Satellite..THAT was priceless!

6. stereoptic

Dave - Moe Green was the Harold Ramis days. THe RUssian Satellite was the NBC 90 minute days. That's my favorite episode. What fFIts Into Russia? , new Russian mini-cam, The Talking Tractor, Hey Yorgi!

check the link that I posted above, they have a full episode list!

oops. I just check - Hey Yorgi was not on the "Russian Satellite Show". Actually called: CCCP 1

7. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Don't you see the irony of all this? It's plain as the noze on your face, don't you see it??

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I LOVE the Ramis stuff!

Yorgi was a take off on a really dumb show we had up here called The King of Kensington with the late, great Al Waxman.

9. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

SCTV on DVD? Really? Take off, hoser! :D

10. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Great news! now I have this and the Looney Tunes DVD set to look forward to! When i was in High School SCTV was on right before Saturday Night live (11:00 - 11:30). I always thought they were hilarious!!

11. RDK

RDK Active Member

What year did SCTV start? And when did they go to 90-minutes?

12. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

"Please Mr. Cabalerro....just one lousy crane shot!"

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

14. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Anybody remember the Fishing Musician sketches?

I'm dying to see again the episode where John Candy has The Plasmatics on. I remember them performing a song and Wendy cutting some stuff up with her chainsaw while Candy is sitting off to the side in his rocking chair. Very funny shows and it will be great to finally have these on home video!

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Yes! Gil Fisher! (I love to catch 'em but I just can't eat 'em!). He also took Fee Waybill and The Tubes out in the boat for some good ole' fishin' fun!
    It would be great to see these again.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

How 'bout Rockin' Mel Slurp, with his special musical guest, The Queen Haters: "I hate the bloody queen/She made me go to school . . . "

Bobby Bittman's court-ordered PSA for public "lib'aries": "As a child, I was pretty ignorant. Fortunately for me, I ended up in show business, but your child may not be so lucky . . . So get 'em reading. Get 'em to a lib'ary."

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm thrilled that we're finally getting any SCTV on DVD, so it's OK by me that they're starting with the NBC years, but I do hope they eventually release the early years too. The show even moved to Cinemax for a year or two after the NBC run.

Ed Grimly starring in a production of Oliver Twist:

"Well, that wasn't very filling, I must say! I mean, these portions are a joke! I'm simply going to have to ask for more!"

(Costarring Sid Dithers as Fagin and Tommy Lasorda as the Artful Dodger!:laugh:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.