Searching for Jackie Shane - Globe and Mail article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B Good, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Searching for Jackie Shane, R&B’s lost transgender superstar By ELIO IANNACCI in The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, May 19, 2017 1:20PM EDT

Searching for Jackie Shane, R&B’s lost transgender superstar

Brief quote from the article : "On the recording, Shane, an American who moved to Toronto to build her career until mysteriously disappearing from the limelight in 1971, can be heard reminding the crowd of her prowess. In between the lusty roars and megaphone notes she vigorously exudes on Money, Shane pauses to state things such as, “This is the closest to Jesus Christ some of you will ever get!” or “I got so much to work with here – I’m a little piece of leather but well put together!”"

Anyone who has come across the not widely known Any Other Way (see the current R&B thread) usually finds it a captivating early 60s earworm. In my post there I referred to Jackie as "him", but this article suggests I may have been mistaken.

In any case Jackie is still alive, and it seems, about to become a bit better known. Seems like a 2 disk release of her music is scheduled for later this year. And possibly some new recordings.

GodBlessTinyTim and smallworld like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Thanks for the information -- I am unfamiliar with Jackie. But this definitely sounds like an interesting story.

3. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I remember listening to the CBC documentary. I didn't come away with the impression than Shane was transgender. The doc was posted to the net as a podcast so it's probably still out there.

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

5. Young and Restless

Young and Restless Forum Resident

Just bought the 2-disc CD set out on Numero, called Jackie Shane: Any other Way.
    It's a very soulful listen and highly recommended.
    There is also a nice little hardcover book included, telling Jackie's story.
    Pick it up, you will not regret getting this!

GodBlessTinyTim and John B Good like this.
  6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Anyone who is a fan of early 60s R&B will love this one

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Seconding this. I bought it mainly because it's a rare instance of Canadian 60's soul music, but the whole collection stands superbly on its own. Jackie absolutely cooks on this one, pardon the sound:

As mentioned in the Numero discussion thread, my only qualm is that one B-side was omitted for reasons unknown. The book describes it as being highly imitative of Little Richard, but you wouldn't think that would be reason enough to leave it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.