Second hand vinyl - are prices for classic rock going up, down or flatlining?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by back2vinyl, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Lost out on an album today on EBay for $1246...last sale was about $1100. So that one is still going up, I can’t speak for the market as a whole but vinyl seems very healthy right now.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

My local store prices used vinyl to sell.
    Groups like Steely Dan, The Cars, Pretenders, and Blondie
    usually go for decent prices (depending on condition) $3.99-$7.99.
    Some classic rock groups may go for higher prices.

Darryl

c-eling likes this.
  3. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Was it a A++++++ hot stamper?

homeslice, foam55, bekayne and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Prices have gone up for sure - especially in the past five years. I would say some have even doubled.

5. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

In Toronto and surrounding area I've found that any classic Bowie, Floyd, Beatles, Stones, Zep, Neil Young albums of note are 20-25 bucks to start and climb from there based on rarity/condition. Example: if you see a Zep II for less than 25 bucks it is probably trashed. Metal is the same. 25 bucks and up for any Maiden, Priest, Sabbath or Motorhead...if you see any at all. Even rarer is any late 70's/early 80's punk/post punk. Common as muck records are 10-15 and the five dollar bins are pretty much the dregs. of course I imagine the reason for all this is that inventory is increasingly becoming more difficult to find and it is costing the stores more to buy it.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    eddiel and nosliw like this.
  6. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Used quality is going down while prices are climbing up, in my experience.

This will continue until the cd revival begins.

7. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Nope, just a silly Australian Kiss album that I wouldn’t play anyways, as I already have superior pressings, just not as rare copies.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

In these parts, well known classic rock titles have definitely increased over the last five years or so.

The bargains these days are with CD's.

Kristofa and Linto like this.
  9. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

those 3 artists sell at $20-25 (esp. Blondie , they last a day or 2 tops ) at the store i frequent...the 1st 4 Blondie albums actually go as high as $30 , and sell in a day or 2

Bloom likes this.
  10. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I'm so glad I started buying records in 2006, prices were much better back then, like around $15-20 for good UK or German pressing. Too bad I didn't start earlier.
    On the other hand, good thing I realized pretty quick that domestic US pressings of British classic rock usually inferior, so I didn't buy too many of those. Also didn't buy too many modern "digital" reissues (IMO waist of money).
    Today, when I see common US pressing priced at $20 and higher - I laugh.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Rad Dudeski, MikeJedi and vinylbeat like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Feel sorry for newbies old pressings too highly priced, new pressings predominantly digital source.

astro70, MielR, BryanA-HTX and 3 others like this.
  12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have had the same experience. I think that I stopped being able to get really great deals on exceptional used LP's back in 2007 or 2008. I saw $10 NM Zeppelin LP's back then and thought it was unusually high pricing. I really wish I hadn't blacked out on LP's in the 90's, I could have scored some ridiculous deals.

I missed some awesome deals on CD's too. I used to visit a music store at an outlet mall and I remember seeing lots of DCC and MFSL CD's there at one time, and I passed on them because I had no idea what they were, and even among the other cut-outs they seemed expensive.

TonyR, GLENN and Cronverc like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Within the last year at my store, I picked up used for 4.99:

Lennon / Plastic Ono Band
    Beatles / Abbey Road
    The first 4 Mahavishnu Orchestra records
    Stills / Young / Long May You Run
    Jackie Lomax / Is This What You Wanted
    Crosby / Nash - first record
    Stephen Stills / Live

They frequently have Byrds records at that price, or up to 8.99, and I got Blood On The Tracks and Electric Ladyland both at 8.99

I even picked up a well worn copy of Grateful Dead’s Wake Of The Flood a few weeks ago for 3.99, though it did need a couple washings to reduce the surface noise.

They also have plentiful Who records used—I put a couple back after listening to them and deciding against them (Odds & Sods and Who Came First). I did pick up a used Quadrophenia there for a good price in nice shape.

phillyal1 likes this.
  14. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Not Parallel Lines.

G E and DolphinsIntheJacuzzi like this.
  15. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Depends on who's selling, what they're selling and when they're selling it. Someone looking to just get rid of inventory might price a rare record in great shape at a bargain (thinking at most $20, but usually lower), while someone looking to make a profit might price a relatively common record in so-so condition for a high price.

Record collecting is more about luck than anything else.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with Hall and Oates. But I can't even fathom what kind of store would charge an average of $30 per Hall and Oates album.

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

To pay more than $6 for a used Hall & Oates LP is pure insanity.

18. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

Up. Not making more of them + inflation at minimum.

19. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

Who, sure. There are plenty of cheaper pressings. Led Zep, not at all. Any LP in decent shape starts at $20.

20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Two shops in my area.
    I saw a nice looking Floyd 'The Final Cut' gatefold priced at 14.99 the other day, down the road it would of been around 30.00

21. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Vinyl records expensive in the States? Try living in the UK.
    Jeez..you'll be complaining about gas prices next.
    Wait a minute, you are.

22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Overall prices seem to be remaining boyount. The main charity shops are asking some pretty high prices for often quite tatty records. Some bargains can still be had at car boot sales if you can be bothered with trudging through fields!
    My local record store has a monopoly on a wide area. Prices are creeping up. The best place for a bargain is at record fairs where some sellers have so much stock, they are keen to get it out the door as fast as possible. One dealer I know cannot stand Steely Dan, so all those records are in the £5 bin!

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Nonsense!

what I am seeing is pretty clear - there isn't much new/current rock music that is really exciting young people. Kids today, who in the past would have been into punk, grunge, Britpop or whatever when those things were current, are now into the Doors, Floyd, Zep, Clash etc, by default if you will.

i don't think there has been such a retro culture among the young like this before. Look at pop culture things like Stranger Things and Guardians of the Galaxy with their 80's and 70's playlists.

there is clearly a while new audience for classic rock and other older music which is obviously driving demand for second hand vinyl.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You got that right. Here in Edmonton, I will find the occasional bargain at my local record store but more often than not a lot of these places seem to overvalue their vinyl. Ridiculously, in some cases. Around here -and it doesn't really matter which shop it is- you can pay $40 for a crappy 70's reissue Beatles LP, for example, just because it's a Beatles LP. Other "legacy" bands, yer often hard pressed to find a Stones, Zeppelin or Floyd record around these parts under $20, even the "lower tier" albums. It's crazy, but what seems even crazier is that the damn things still sell at those prices. This is why I tend to buy vinyl through Discogs these days- my only problem there is the cost of the shipping!

25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I hear ya! I have a lot less patience these days flipping through The Beatles used bins for that exact reason. Online sellers seem to be my only option for buying the used or rare Beatles vinyl that I'm still interested in adding to my collection.

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.