Second hand vinyl - are prices for classic rock going up, down or flatlining?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by back2vinyl, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I’d say for the most part it’s remained fairly steady over the past few years. When I started buying vinylback in 2008 it seemed likemprices were lower, from still having the stickers on some that I’ve purchased.

As others have mentioned certain things still fetch a premium, but it’s nothing new. Bowie is still pretty high compared to other 70s rock and Beatles and Stones still fetch a premium, well because it’s the Stones and Beatles.

2. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Yes, but crappy Capitol Beatles pressings which by the way were pressed in millions and reissued many times used to be $5-10 in 2008, today they priced $20-25 sometimes. That is just crazy IMO.

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Right. Who is buying these?

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The 'good stuff' still commands a premium, as do certain deserved sellers around here.

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Omega Music - Home

Darryl

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes I go there occasionally but mostly what I find there is new product. Not much interesting used stuff when I go. Toxic Beauty in Yellow Springs is a better shop for used records. IMO

7. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Hall & Oates for $30 is insane. Some early Miles Davis pressings are cheaper than that in my neck of the woods.

LitHum05 likes this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I like the condition of the used at Omega better than Toxic Beauty.

Darryl

9. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I think that needs a qualification. I’d gladly pay $20 for a nice Capitol rainbow first pressing. Especially for the rare variations. If you find a Meet the Beatles on the rainbow label with no publishing credits and don’t want it call me.

Some of the “crappy” Capitol Beatles LPs have significant historical interest.

uzn007, vinylbeat and WillieDaPimp like this.
  10. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Yeah.......and you can get enjoyment from collecting those type of Beatles records without even owning a turntable. I still know a few collectors that fit that description!

colgems1966 and Cronverc like this.
  11. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

although we are on an audiophile forum remember not everyone collects the same. Although I try to steer them towards the mono reissue the average buyer would rather buy that crappy old capitol pressing for around the same price at my shop. It's difficult for me as a collector to price less than stellar pressings or condition records but in this market there is something for everyone. The audiophiles like rge care taken to the cleaning methods and grading standards but in this day and age the amount of clean older records is decreasing, the demand for these titles are increasing and you need to find a happy median so you aren't the rip off shop and you aren't just giving away potential profits. I find I can push VG- to VG records for $6-10 on in demand titles rapidly and charge market prices for premium condition ones. My collector friends all say I price "in the pocket" it's not a flippers paradise but you don't feel like you get hosed when you go home and look at going rates online. But I still can't believe $15-25 is the going rate for rumours but I don't pull the "it's in every collection" card and pay reasonably based on that going rate. The used LP world is crazy, the common titles are shooting up in price and some of the rare stuff is as well, the biggest dive seems to be 50s rock and pop but not jazz/exotica from that era. But I can't sell a ricky nelson or rare elvis record to save my life.

colgems1966 likes this.
  12. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

I also noticed today , Chic lps and Chicago lps which were $0.50 records a few years ago , priced at $15 up ---saw someone buying the 1st Chic album and Hot Streets when i was checking out , his bill was a little over $40, kind of stunned me ...

13. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Prices are going up.
    There are fewer NM LP's in the bins.

PooreBoy, QuestionMark? and Cassius like this.
  14. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

US Sgt Peppers turn up frequently in LA and are typically $20 or so.

MrSka57 likes this.
  15. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

in the 20+ stores i frequent , I never see on under $35

16. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Here in Australia they're as expensive if not more than decent reissues.
    You won't find a Who, Led Zeppelin, Bowie, etc in good shape under $30

17. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I bought most of my used records when a decent copy of a Zeppelin album was 50 cents, so they'll always seem expensive to me. But I am noticing prices kind of leveling off, with mint or even sealed albums showing up at reasonable prices. Guy at a local shop said music fans are downsizing or passing away and often they had unplayed or unopened records just sitting on the shelves. Especially in LA a lot of industry guys got free albums they never opened.

phillyal1 likes this.
  18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

It is. IMO the only Beatles records that deserve to be priced over $20 are original pressings in at least VG+ condition or the 1983 and 1988 reissues. I don't think the lime green or orange Capitol label pressings are worth that much, especially since they're considered by many to be the worst sounding pressings of the lot.
    Obviously somebody is, which is why the sellers know they can get away with selling them for that price. Is there a bit of exploitation going on with that? Probably, but at the same time, like the man said, "There's a sucker born every minute." If a seller knows they can get at least $20 from somebody for a crappy 1970 Beatles reissue pressing in, at best, G or G+ condition with bits of paper stuck in the grooves -recycled vinyl- sure as hell he ain't gonna charge $10 for it...

19. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Zeppelin seems to get affected by this the most in my travels. Usually $20-$30 for a very worn looking copy.
    I've resorted to buying reissues for Zeppelin anyway, as I purchased a couple nice looking copies of Zeppelin IV only to find they had groove distortion. (Most likely from being played on garbage equipment with 6-8 grams of tracking force)

I typically prefer used records, but only because 4/5 new records I buy either have some sort of warp, are off center or are noisy. BUT sometimes (very rare but it happens) it's cheaper to buy NEW.

20. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Anyone else remember back when entire $1.00 bins (usually located UNDER the regular records) were all crammed full of Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk? Now an original copy goes for upwards of $30 and reissues/deluxe boxes for $40-$100+

All that needs to be said.

Fullbug and ohnothimagen like this.
  21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Even 15 years ago, I saw stores that were charging $20 for original 60s Beatles and Stones releases. Neil Young was a few bucks and Bowie about $6 or $7.

22. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

You kinda wonder why someone would pay that kind of money for say a US Capitol "Early" or "Revolver" Beatles LP? Buying a new copy of PPM or the UK "Revolver" for the same price seems to be the better choice. I guess they're either a nostalgic completest collector or a clueless Beatles vinyl newbie. At least the seller should be happy moving those diluted Beatles titles.

Cronverc likes this.
  23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

When you see and hear stories of people not inspecting tbe actual records, do you need to ask?

Cronverc likes this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Yeah, I was trying to remember the name of this place. The last time I was in NY (last summer), I hit up Academy Records and A1 Records in the East Village and neither one of them was overpriced (Generation Records in the Village was). At A1, I got three great records for $6 (total) before I even walked in the door, and there was a copy of the Rockpile LP in the same $1 - $3 sidewalk racks that I would have grabbed if I didn't already own two copies.

25. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Don't forget that inflation is a factor as well. $7 went a lot further 15-20 years ago than it does now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.