Second hand vinyl - are prices for classic rock going up, down or flatlining?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by back2vinyl, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

A Red Target Capitol Revolver is very collectible and brings big $$

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Collectable? - You probably right. Still I dont cosider it to be "real Revolver", it's three songs short and sounds far from great.

3. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

That's a very rare US Beatles record. In the 80's when I was a Beatles label variation obsessive. I once new a fellow collector who owned a copy. I tried to get him to sell it to me, but he wouldn't part with it. His copy was maybe VG++ and I think I offered $300 for it......and that was 30 years ago.

If I ever get lucky finding a copy at a great price, which probably will never happen. I'd either auction it off online or use it for trade. I'm done chasing after rare US Beatles records listed in the Perry Cox guides.......although at one time it was quite an obsession with me. It's the best sounding Beatles vinyl and not the rarest that matters to me now.

4. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Thanks for the reply and it illustrates my point: there are people on this forum who act like Capitol Beatles records are "crappy" and not worth $20 because they don't care for them but in reality it's a case by case basis and many of them are worth more than $20. All butcher covers are Capitol......

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Chic albums started going up about five years ago out here. Used to see them around for cheap all the time, right up until the point I decided I wanted more than the greatest hits album. Hardly ever see them at all now.

6. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

You are correct , I stopped by a friend's store today, he told me they last all of about 15 minutes after hitting the rack...even the Friday Music re-issues sell right away , when he can get them from his distributor.....i had no idea , that these were $20 - $35 records ...

7. dee

dee Senior Member

Prices for new release vinyl at the local stores usually send me online. However, the local stores used vinyl is usually pretty fair. Got a VG +/+ Kinks Lola record for $10 and McVicar Polydor Sterling Silver Cover in VG+/+ for $3, this week. U2 Under A Blood Red Sky VG++ for $10 while scoring a NM/VG++ promo of Zevon's Stand In The Fire for $5 which was a delight. 1 store has so much new vinyl I don't even go in there anymore with the kinds of prices and also the cheap store credit I've got there, while another store has been both generous and fair with store credit and has a friendly staff. That's where I tend to go. Place that has excellent condition on many records, vacs them, prices their used stuff accordingly, and aren't uptight about their customers, but seem happy you're there shopping. Grabbed a NM used Husker Du early Warehouse Songs there for less than $10, maybe as they had a few newer sealed copies of it that they were slowly selling off. Unless it's here at Classifieds or elsewhere on sale, or a record I must have, $20 for a record is about the most I will spend. With cd's and downloads sometimes twice as inexpensive, I'll go that route and also not have to worry about the normal vinyl issues from time to time or cleaning them and examining them lol. It's all relative and competitive here with a number of stores selling some good used vinyl as some or much of their inventory.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

All the Red Target Beatles records -there aren't many- are collectible...they're also mainly Canadian pressings, if memory serves.
    By "crappy" I was referring to the lime green label pressings from the late 60's/early seventies (the ones where Steve Hoffman himself claimed were made using recycled vinyl where you ran the risk of having bits of paper caught in the grooves) and the mid 70's orange label pressings which are generally not considered that great, either. In my opinion $20 is a fair price for a 1983 Rainbow pressing since those are considered some of the best sounding. $20 for one of those lime green suckers from 1969? Er, not so much.

9. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I remember looking for the 69' lime greens when I was trying to collect all the US label variations. Back then I never played them, but purchased the best condition examples I could find.

I once had a huge collection of rare US Beatles vinyl but would play the BC-13 blue box and/or the Mofi box when listening to Beatles albums in the pre CD era. I sold most of the US rarities 10-15 years ago, but still own and play the blue box.

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Since I started buying vinyl in about 2007 the price of an average, used mainstream pop/rock release back catalogue title has doubled from £3 to £6 in my most regular shop. The high end stuff has stayed roughly the same, maybe increased a little. However, there are outliers - some titles just keep climbing. In my nearest shop Rumours is priced at around £18 usually - and it sells at that price.

11. radickeyfan

hit a store that just opened in NE NY today , biz was booming, place was packed , about a 50/50 mix of new/used , nothing in the store less then $15 , and most anything decent $20 to $50 , they had signs posted that they only deal in used records in VG++ or better , unless it is something very unique......people lining up to buy 3 to 5 albums at a time ...seemed every single purchase was $50+ ...i was impressed.....bought 3 mono Orbison records i didn't have , all NM or NM- , I was happy spending my $60

12. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

If They charging $20 and up for US pressings that's IMO pretty steep - THEY NOT RARE. But, if that make some people happy then why not?
    FYI the last record I bought in the store for $20 was UK original pressing of "Hey Jude" CPCS 106 about a month ago. Cover is a little worn, record VG+ - NM.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Friday Music reissues sell right away? For the most part, they’re a rip-off outfit by charging premium prices for substandard product.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You caught a break paying only $20

Fender Relic likes this.
  15. radickeyfan

i truthfully don't think most people care outside of this forum ......

e.s. likes this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yup and that’s unfortunate.

Cassius likes this.
  17. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I went into a small record store in Palm Springs while on vacation, on the main road in downtown. Something normal like a Joe Jackson or Heart album was $19.99. I'm from Canada, so that's roughly $26 Canadian for an used album that was around $5-7 when new. The guy asked me if I needed help, I said not at these prices and walked out. The same albums are roughly $8 at home.

0476pearljam likes this.
  18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Used record stores selling at prices that are higher than eBay/Discogs, with plenty of customers who don't even check the condition of the vinyl. Crazy times in the vinyl world.....or maybe I'm just getting old or jaded with record collecting.

Shak Cohen and Cronverc like this.
  19. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

In my area I would buy every single one and probably be able to flip them at close to double.

NaturalD likes this.
  20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

I only buy obscure titles anymore. Yesterday's purchase -- Bloodwyn Pig -- Getting to this -- $3.00. Cover a bit worn but vinyl clean.

sonofjim and vinylbeat like this.
  21. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

The big names in classic rock are always the priciest. I've never seen a Beatles disc go for anything less than $10, no matter the condition (still playable or else the shop won't take it.) Same goes for LZ, Fleetwood Mac, etc..

22. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Exactly! A lot of clueless newbies suddently joined the latest fad - vinyl.

23. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Yes, I noticed the same thing.

24. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Time to get those beat up Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin and Floyd records out of the basement and sell them at the fleamarket at $20 a pop.....they'd probably sell!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I don’t buy a lot of used vinyl anymore. I’m glad I bought too much of it about 10 years ago. When I go to a store and see beat up, dirty pressings of common albums for $10 or more I lose all interest in flipping through the bins. Many reissues are really great these days and go for similar prices brand new.

vinylbeat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.