Second side of Doors debut album full of filler?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Country Rocker, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

If true, you're a lucky guy.

2. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

What is this from, Terrapin?

3. Mr. Heartbreak

Mr. Heartbreak Deep in the heart of darkest America

EON holds the unique distinction of having two lines lifted directly from William Blake:
    Some are born to sweet delight
    Some are born to endless night

The other tracks mentioned are somewhat slighter, but I’ve always felt EON to be a classic.

4. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

yeah, no. i don't hear it as disappointing. i do hear "take it as it comes" as 'break on through" redux or reprised lol.

the band did not have a lot of time to write and arrange the first lp. from rick and the ravens to the doors on elektra was about a year and a half, tops. often times a bands first two lp's are their "best". then rigors of the road, internecine strife, accoutrements etc can and often did begin to take their toll. while the doors had their "moments" of great stuff post debut and strange days.

the cohesiveness that paul was able to weave together on lp's one and two, were never quite replicated. to my ears.

so, side 2 suits me just fine.

Michael Macrone and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. There are earlier songs on that side clearly not as well developed but, nope, I like ‘Em.

6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Specialize in having fun listening to side 2.

Fred1, Chrome_Head and rkt88 like this.
  7. rkt88

are you kidding me?! lol.

20th century fox is quintessential doors in their BEST period. lord have mercy :)

D-rock, Jonny W and Fred1 like this.
  8. rkt88

that was the obligatory "high school dance" ditty lol

and we're on our way and we can't turn back ha. the doors as dc5 :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Jonny W, Fred1 and ostrichfarm like this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Right. If this is lightweight, then so is Jimi's Foxy Lady.

rkt88 likes this.
  10. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Wow! Those are my two most favorite songs on the album, with the favorite being 20th Century Fox. I like the entire album. Sure has a lousy surround mix though. No excuse for that.

Fred1 likes this.
  11. rkt88

still SMH re 20th century fox lol

20th century fox is to hello i love you as break on through is to take as it comes.

i know what i meant :)

stax o' wax and Fred1 like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love the entire album since the day it hit the scene...still do. I fondly remember when Light My Fire was on the radio many times per day!

D-rock and Fred1 like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

throw those chairs away! you need not use them! ; )
    I loved SP the moment I heard it...

WMTC and SOONERFAN like this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have a version of it by Ralph Shuckett and Richard Butler on Lost in the Stars: The Music of Kurt Weill, a 1985 VA tribute album on A&M.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

ostrichfarm and GregM like this.
  16. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

That's pretty much my thoughts and feelings as well :)

Been listening to the band for 15 years already (so yeah, I'm kinda "younger gen" fan around I guess), but still s/t and Strange Days are the most solid albums to me in their discography. Second side with filler? Well, no, can't agree on that because my favorite songs are balanced out with "just good" songs on both sides, so the whole album still gives me solid and enjoyable feeling after all those 15 years being a fan and last 5 years being into vinyl. I know most of the guys would chuckle at my humble number of copies, but I'm a bit crazy with the s/t having 4 LP copies, 2 mono reissues (with the recent VMP reissue in the plans to get) and 6 CD versions overall.

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. El Nuevo Rich-o

El Nuevo Rich-o Forum Resident

Oh snap

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

People are (discussing) strange (things in here).

:doh:

stax o' wax, Fred1 and Soundslave like this.
  19. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

The only song on that side that is filler to me is 'The End'. I love the atmosphere, but 2 (or even 3) songs could have fitted on there in its place.
    It's a shame they didn't do a live album in between the first and second LP's, to show what they were doing live when they stretched out.
    I love the Doors short and sharp, however I also love longer songs like 'Riders On The Storm' and 'L.A. Woman'. It's a weird scene, man.

Philip Gruber and Fred1 like this.
  20. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

All killer, no filler. I think "The End" is one of the all-time classic Doors tracks.

D-rock, Soundslave and Fred1 like this.
  21. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Always interesting to see differing opinions and for me Side Two is weaker because I skip half of it when I play the album because of the track that bores me to death - "The End". Not dissing its importance, impact etc but have heard it enough times to not be able to enjoy it again. "Take It As It Comes" is my fave track on that side and "Alabama Song" is my fave track on the album.

Lightworker, Lance LaSalle and Fred1 like this.
  22. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay, so it looks like I'm pretty much alone here. I'll get my coat! :wave:Thanks for keeping everything civil though, I thought I would have been torn to shreds. Just for the record, my favourite Doors album is 'Morrison Hotel'.

23. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I've always had an affinity for the song because of that odd instrument on it with the strings and hammers. My mother had a dusty old one in her closet that I used to try to play along with, though I had no idea how it was supposed to be tuned or played.

Not sure exactly what its called either (haven't seen it in years) so if anyone can fill me in, I would appreciate it.

24. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Nevermind, I found it. It's either a Marxophone or a Celestaphone.

Lightworker and Fred1 like this.
  25. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

The internet has gotten smarter since I last pondered this question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.