Secret Machines - Awake in the Brain Chamber

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobloblaw, Aug 23, 2020.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud Thread Starter

Still no reply on my compression question. In fact, I’d be surprised if they responded, but it never hurts to try...

I also asked about a possible rerelease of An Epic Case of Mistaken Identity, but I’m not holding my breath on that one either.

2. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

It was so nice to finally replace my noisy vinyl rip of "Angel In Love With Her Own Wings" (Probably my favorite TSM track) with the official digital version from iTunes.

3. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

If anyone has a lead on preordering the RTI limited lp please let me know...this dummy didn’t hear this news until it was too late.please help a brother out!

4. Loup

[​IMG]

bobloblaw likes this.
  5. Loup

Came in the mail Tuesday.

[​IMG]

bobloblaw and Erick Haight like this.
  6. bobloblaw

How’s it sound? Any chance it’s got improved dynamics over the digital release?

7. Loup

I haven’t noticed a difference between the two but I don’t have an audiophile system either. My setup is rip the CD to iTunes using Apple Lossless than listening through the SONOS Five.

What do you think of the album? It pains me to say but it just sounds like they really played it safe with this record. The fact that previously released songs were used, the lack of a “sprawling epic” and the short running time make the album seem a bit insincere to me. Having said all that, it’s still really good and “So Far Down” is an instant classic in my opinion.

8. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I always saw this as a toe in the water to see if the collaboration still has the spark, and I would say that it does. Now let’s see what the future will bring.

bobloblaw likes this.
  9. Loup

I hadn’t thought about that but it really makes sense. Like taking baby steps after being away from TSM for so long.

10. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Big fan of this band, have all their albums and most of the non-LP stuff, saw them once during the TSD tour in a small venue with the cool in the round gazebo stage setup.

So I got the CD release this week and finally had a chance to listen. Normally I’d blast it on the speakers but no chance of that since everyone’s home all the time these days. Still, I figured Secret Machines+headphones should equal sonic bliss but not so much this go-round. The complaints about compression/near brickwalling are unfortunately true for the CD. Worse, the CD quit playing in the middle of the 4th song and none of my players or even my PCs drive will read it now. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen with a CD.

And I really liked what I was hearing despite the crap mastering.

11. Loup

bobloblaw likes this.
  12. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Yeah, the Day 21 EP is pretty good. The other was a nice way to get legit copies of the older tracks—though I think I originally got Dreaming of Dreaming through a free download from the band. Hoping this means they’ll keep producing new music.

Loup likes this.
  13. Loup

“Dreaming Of Dreaming” and “Daylight, It Won’t Be Long” are also on the German CD of Secret Machines.

Secret Machines - Secret Machines

14. Johnny Feathers

Huh, I did not know that. I thought they made a serious error by making DoD a single only, and not on the associated album. It’s by far the best track from that era, and would have surely helped elevate what ended up being their worst album (IMO).

15. Johnny Feathers

Sounds like they are releasing a digital-only remaster (?), and re-sequencing, of their self-titled album in September. I'm not sure what to think of this, as it's long been my least-favorite album of theirs. Maybe this will reveal a hidden gem? That album seemed to signify when the bottom dropped out for them. With Benjamin gone, and this album losing whatever success they'd had up until then, it seemed to foreshadow the hiatus that soon followed.

16. bobloblaw

I got the notice from Bandcamp that this was coming, but didn't realize until you pointed it out that this was a resequencing. I listened to the new version of The Fire is Waiting and couldn't immediately tell any difference, so I just assumed it was a more or less straight re-release. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Bandcamp page does seem to be ramping up (?) a bit, having released two new EPs - Day 21 (all new, I think) and Dreaming of Dreaming (newly unearthed version of the song, plus some bonuses).

17. Johnny Feathers

Yeah, I’m curious to see how different this version will be, aside from the resequencing. I didn’t notice anything different in the first minute or two of the Fire is Waiting.

I’m all for supporting the band by buying their stuff, but this might not be the most essential release they’ve put out. I’m still looking forward to an actual full album of new material—that hasn’t happened since they resumed working a couple years ago.

18. Johnny Feathers

Just announced, they’re going on tour for the first time in….12 years?…opening for Metric.

I’d love to see them, but paying for a short opening set seems a stretch since I don’t really know Metric.

bobloblaw and Loup like this.
  19. bobloblaw

Listening to the new version of the self-titled release now and I'm not sure if the actual tracks have any real difference from the original version, but I like the flow of the album better this way (with The Fire is Waiting kicking things off). It seems like a statement of purpose rather than shoehorning a single into the beginning.

20. Loup

Does anyone know who the guitarist is?

ripdan likes this.
  21. innerturmoil

innerturmoil Forum Resident

Phil Karnats

Loup likes this.
  22. Johnny Feathers

Has anyone gone to see them on their current tour, opening for Metric? There are still plenty of tickets left for the Chicago date, and it looks like they've discounted a bunch of them. Thinking I might go, even knowing the set will be too short.

23. Loup

Thanks, does Phil play on the Day 21 EP?

24. innerturmoil

innerturmoil Forum Resident

Haven't seen any credits. I didn't pick a cassette up.

25. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Loup and bobloblaw like this.