Seeking Subwoofer Recs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Moogerfooger, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Active Member Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I am going to be buying a McIntosh MC2600 from the 90’s to add to my Thorens TD-124 Series II, and my Rotel CD setup. I am also using a 24-bit high res system. Seeking your suggestions on a sub to plug in for under a grand. Thanks!!

considering Rythmik Audio.

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Check out subs made by SVS. lots of different price points and highly regarded.

Mike-48, ls35a, timind and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Rythmik is fine. I'm using one of their 15" sealed. The servo is a must IMO. I don't think I could go back to not having a servo. At first it was weird and I set it loose so it sounded more like a regular sub. After a while I grew to like the tighter bass and now have it on high.

Jacob29 likes this.
  4. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Agreed on the SVS. I was going back and forth with Rythmik and SVS about a month ago when I needed a new sub. I chose the SVS sb16 ultra and I have no doubt I made the right choice.
    Also congrats to you on landing the MC2600; that's a real beast of an amp for sure.

timind likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Do you want accuracy or deep bass?
    Is acoustic music between 30-70 more important or deep thumping bass?
    how big is your room?

Do you want essy set-up or are you willing to play around with it?

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

They pay shipping both ways if you don't like it.... that is confidence in your product. I have one in my office.

7. Mcginty2020

Mcginty2020 Forum Resident

SVS's Bluetooth controlled dsp and generous return policy swayed my purchase. Granted I didn't try other options but I am very satisfied. You might also consider 2 smaller subs. I run 2 SB 3000's

Mike-48 likes this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

There are various fine brands-Hsu, JL...generally NOT the famous speaker brands because subs are (speaking as a loudspeaker engineer) a quite different animal from a design point of view. We run an SVS SB-2000 Pro DSP which fills in the lows very nicely in a 5.1 Focal setup (936/CC900/SR900). Their packaging was really good, and it seemed a lot of support was available though we did not need it.
    - Since you don't appear to have any room correction in your chain, I'd highly recommend to get a sub that has that; it can make quite a difference. It did both in our Focal setup and in this other scenario
    JL Audio Fathom f110v2 powered subwoofer Measurements

Mike-48 likes this.
  9. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The SVS SB-3000 fits your budget, and I think it's a very good sub. It has more DSP than most subs in its price range, though not as much DSP as the more expensive JL Audio subs. The bluetooth app for controlling all that is great. IMO, at least a few PEQ points and a continuously-variable phase control are needed to get reasonably flat bass in most rooms, and the SVS provides that.

The SVS also includes the usual low-pass filter (for itself). I like to use a high-pass filter for the main speakers, too, which requires some kind of external crossover. (Some subs include it, but I don't want to run my main speakers through circuitry in a sub.) Some audiophiles do just fine without that HP filter, and with large speakers like yours, you may have a better chance of being in that category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.