DCC Archive Seger & Queen- MFSL vs. DCC?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Korom, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member Thread Starter

Great forum here, guys! Been lurking for a bit, finally thought of something to ask ;)

I picked up a near-mint copy of Night Moves on MFSL vinyl recently, and have been enjoying it. I saw that DCC also had a release, and was wondering if anyone ever had a chance to compare the versions?

And on a similiar vein, has anyone compared the MSFL/DCC versions of Queen's Night at the Opera? I'm rather fond of the MoFi CD, but if the DCC's an improvement I want one. Since quantities are getting small on the DCC, I'd better buy one soon if I don't want to get scalped...

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Well, there was a little breakin at my apartment a few years ago and I lost my MFSL Pink Floyd DSOTM and Queen NATO (and quite a few aluminum discs). So I was thrilled when DCC released Night at the Opera. Unfortunately it was before DCC released theirs so can't do a direct A/B comparison.

But the DCC seems to me to much more clarity in the guitar hamonics (the usual luscious midrange Steve's know for). A lot of the songs I tought were just filler on the way to Bohemian Rhapsody I appreciate A LOT more. The soundstage seems much larger to me. The vocals going back and forth in "I'm in love with my Car" sound fantastic. "Death on Two Legs" blows me away every time I hear it.

In short, I don't think you will be at all disappointed.

Actually A Night at the Opera is one of the few DCC gold CD's I see in abundance in stores in this part of the country. I think its one of last CD's that DCC released (well over a year ago now). That and lots of the Sinatra titles.

Now if I could just find a DCC Blondie Parallel Lines without paying ebay prices ;)

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

"Night at the Opera" is still in the shops around the Bay Area. I saw a couple in Tower at $32, and today I saw one in a more progressive/underground shop for $27. Bummer, because I bought one at Tower and could have saved $5.

Get 'em while you can or the eBay scalpers will snap them up and gouge us for $45.

Regards,
    Metralla

4. Dob

Dob New Member

It's been awhile, but I compared the DCC NATO to the MFSL (Ultradisc II), and I ended up preferring the MFSL. Freddie's voice seemed to sound a touch more "natural" on the MFSL. Other than that, the two versions are quite close in quality.

My opinion seems to be in the tiny minority -all of the reviews that I have seen of the DCC NATO have not only been raves, but most have said that this is one of the finest CDs to come from DCC and the best version of NATO, hands down.

Ebay prices for the MFSL NATO seem to have been plummeting lately - I have seen quite a few used copies go for less than $30 (a year ago they were almost double). A worthwhile purchase at that price.

Dob

5. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Interesting take on that Dob. I can't make a direct comparison but I can say my experience with MFSL is less consistent than with DCC.

For instance Mo-Fis Moving Pictures, Days Of Future Past, The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys, and Exodus are simply fantastic. I need no other CD copies of those titles. On the other hand, there are others that are good to acceptable, and one that is just hosed if you get my meaning.

6. Dob

Dob New Member

Agreed. I am generally very happy with the MFSL mastering. A few releases (DSOTM) are a little bass heavy, but I can live with that.

Their main problem was that they were a little lazy when it came to tracking down master tapes - seems they accepted whatever the label sent them. However, as we know, Steve is quite persistent when it comes to getting the real master tape - God bless him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.