Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Seinfeld cast boycotts DVD

Actors who played Kramer, George and Elaine won't participate in DVD set due to money fight.

CNN/Money

NEW YORK - Kramer, George and Elaine aren't happy, so fans of the old "Seinfeld" sitcom won't be seeing interviews with them on an upcoming DVD set, according to a published report.

The New York Times reported Tuesday that Michael Richards (who played Kramer), Jason Alexander (who played George) and Julia Louis-Dreyfus (who played Elaine), declined to give on-camera interviews for the DVD set or otherwise participate in the project because they are not being offered a share of the sales, only a recording fee.

"They all said, 'Why should we make other people richer,'" said a representative of one of the actors to the Times.

One of the selling points of DVDs are the extras not available with the original product, such as commentary tracks by a film's or series' director or stars, or features and documentaries about the making of the movie or show.

The sale of DVD collections of an entire season or two of a television show has become the fastest growing segment of the already fast-growing DVD market, according to industry officials. Sales of TV on DVD sales are expected to nearly double this year to $1.5 billion from $880 million in 2002, Video Store Magazine told CNN/Money earlier this year.

The Times reports that one of the representatives of the three unhappy actors said the three receive annual payments of about $100,000 each from the continued airing of the show in syndication. But that pales in comparison to the millions received by the show's creators, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. Seinfeld and David, along with the companies set to produce and distribute the DVD, will share in sales of the DVD set.

The three supporting stars also received $600,000 each per episode the final year the show was still on NBC, although they had been seeking $1 million each per episode. Each has starred in short-lived network series since "Seinfeld" went off the air.

"Seinfeld" ran on NBC from 1990 through 1998 and is now popular in syndication. The DVD set is being prepared by Castle Rock Entertainment, which produced the show for NBC, and is to be distributed by Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. Castle Rock is a unit of Time Warner Inc., as is CNN/Money. Columbia TriStar is a unit of Sony, while NBC is a unit of General Electric Co.

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm sorry to read this as Seinfeld is on my short list on "must have" TV shows on DVD.

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Gee, I really fell bad for them.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Hehe... in the end, it's all about money, ain't it. :)

5. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I'd buy it anyway. Sometimes knowing less is better, helps retain the magic. IMO a lot of bloopers, deleted scenes and commentaries are a bore.

Aaron

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Right on.

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A lot of big name stars, who once did these interviews gratis, are now getting a fee for sharing their reminiscences with us. :rolleyes:

8. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I typically do not buy TV series box sets on DVD, because frankly, they just cost too much. Seinfeld however, I don't care...I will buy buy buy! Every season!

:edthumbs:

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd be happy owning just the "Soup Nazi" Episode! Recently saw it on rerun TV...Just too funny:):laugh:

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Where would these people be without the series?

They should get the "clones" to do the commentary! Remember those guys, the ones who were going to be in the series they were going to create about the series in the series!

That would be a goof!

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"You look like Al Pacino....hoo-hah!"

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

"Christmas for the masses, Festivus for the rest of us".....

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I don't consider it a "boycott" if the actors declined to particpate for a sum they considered too low. "Boycott" implies a flat refusal regardless of the fee. This is a disagreement about compensation.

The article could have been just as incorrectly headlined "SEINFELD creators boycott actors for DVD production."

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Your resemblance to "Saddam" is stunning!:)

15. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Actually, I'll have to respectfully offer my opinion on both parts of your comment. As long as you're a fan of the show, the DVD's of RECENT TV shows are quite good value (on a time on disc per dollar basis) For example, the Sopranos box set has about 3 1/2 hours of programming on each disc at about $20 (Canadian) per disc. I'll agree with your point about overall cost because TV seasonal sets tend to be multi-disc (hence, a higher price). Ironically, the unit price is much cheaper than what they used to cost on VHS (i.e. X-Files season sets are usually six or seven discs containing 24+ epsiodes, whereas the VHS used to be only released as 2 episodes per tape - hence, much higher cost on tape).

Seinfeld, I found, was a very uneven series. Some episodes would cause me to split my sides. Others would result in pindrop silence because they were so unfunny. Of course, because I'm a sucker and a completist for some aspects of pop culture (and I probably have more money than sense), I'll end up buying the entire collection of Seinfeld DVD's.

Cliff :)

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

[sarcasm]Whoo. Live sucks for them, huh? [/sarcasm]

The DVD's are making production anyway, right? "Elaine" made how many millions of dollars with those hair-goo product commercials? Then "George" goes KFC? I know he didn't do it for free chicken! What the heck did "Kramer" do afterwards? All I know is he was on "UHF" that Weird Al did years before.

Gimmie a break. Seinfeld was a cash cow for those people, all of them. Now they don't want to participate in making comments about the best career move of their life? Hell, I've never been on TV or made a network-induced paycheck.

Yeah. Life sucks. Tsk tsk.

17. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

"George's" fall has been particularly ugly. I cringe everytime one of those KFC commercials comes on. in a way, they cheapen the brilliiance of the Seinfeld series.

maybe Jason Alexander should pay Seinfeld just to include him again in the DVD.

18. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Would you go back to a company you had previously worked (and had a mixed relationship with) just for pittance? I think not. The Seinfeld cast members feel the same way.

What has Jerry done lately anyway besides being not very funny in a couple of HBO specials and some stupid American Express commercials?

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/24/arts/television/24SEIN.html

A 'Seinfeld' Star Will Do the DVD but Asks for Pay
    By SHARON WAXMAN

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 23 — Michael Richards, a star of the hit television comedy "Seinfeld," says he will take part in the making of a DVD of the series, but he says he ought to be paid for it.

People close to Mr. Richards and his co-stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jason Alexander said on Monday that the actors had decided not to grant interviews for the DVD because they were unhappy with the financial deals they have had with the show over the years.

"I'm not boycotting," Mr. Richards, who played Kramer in the series, said in a telephone interview late Monday night. "I'm involved. I was never called to do an interview. I am so for the DVD coming out that I'll go on the `Tonight' show."

But Mr. Richards said he thought he ought to be paid for taking part in the DVD project, in part because the show has been such a windfall for its creators, producers and distributors: Jerry Seinfeld, Larry David, Castle Rock Television and Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment. They will all share profits from the DVD.

Actors do not typically receive residual payments for DVD's, but this is quickly becoming a major issue in Hollywood, as DVD sales now bring in millions of dollars to those who control the rights to hit television shows and movies, far more than revenue from videocassettes.

Mr. Richards said: "I innocently asked a question. Is there some compensation? I don't believe there is. There isn't anything."

He added, "I think everyone wants to get paid," referring to his co-stars. "Is it honorable for those on the inside to make compensation? That's an ethical question they have to deal with. But I never heard back from anybody."

Mr. Seinfeld and Mr. Richards spoke together yesterday to mend fences. A spokeswoman for Mr. Seinfeld said: "Jerry and the other producers are profit participants of the `Seinfeld' show and do not control the ancillary stream of revenue. The owner is Warner Brothers, and Sony controls the syndication rights, which includes DVD sales."

Ms. Louis-Dreyfus and Mr. Alexander could not be reached for comment, their representatives said.

Mr. Richards said that he had spoken to Ms. Louis-Dreyfus on Monday and that she was noncommittal about taking part in the DVD.

To some degree the dispute may be about a lack of communication. Mr. Richards said he asked Mr. Seinfeld why he did not call when Mr. Seinfeld first heard that his co-stars had declined to take part in the DVD.

"I said, `Why didn't you call me?' " Mr. Richards said. "He said, `I should have.' "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.