Sellers putting off leaving feedback.....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vinyl-Addict, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer Thread Starter

Since I've been buying on Ebay I've noticed that 90% of all sellers don't leave feedback until the buyer leaves it first. I always pay within 24 hours, sometimes within a couple of hours at close of auction yet the seller doesn't leave feedback until I send multiple emails requesting it, even after I leave them positive feedback first.

I try to buy from sellers I have full confidence in but recently I've come across a few that just don't want to go by the rules.

Am I being unrealistic in asking for feedback after I pay for the item?

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It's happening less and less. I always leave feedback the night I receive payment, and so far I haven't been burned.

However, there is a potential out there for buyers to be PITAs, so more and more sellers wait until the transaction is completed before they leave feedback.

It used to really tick me off, but I can understand it more now.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I've seen that a lot lately. Either sellers leave feedback after I do, or they don't leave feedback at all. In most cases, I pay within a few hours of the close of the auction, so there really should be no delay in receiving positive feedback. However, I have never asked a seller to leave me feedback.

4. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Having been a seller on eBay for the past six years, I used to leave feedback when I received payment. After getting burned three times (I won't go into details), I now don't leave feedback until the buyer either leaves feedback first or 30-40 days after the auction has closed. I know there are a number of jerky sellers out there, but there are also a number of a**hole buyers out there too!

5. Vinyl-Addict

Well it seems that it works both ways. I really wish that Ebay applied and enforced penalty to sellers not leaving feedback following payment received. Let's say a 5 day grace period to post feedback following payment at close of auction.

Here is a common sceanario:
    The seller sends an item that does'nt meet the description of the sale. The seller still has'nt left feedback so the buyer leaves positive feedback eventhough he shouldn't because he/she is afraid the seller will retaliate with negative feedback, see my point? There's been a couple of occassions where I would have left at least neutral feedback but............oh well, what to do? :cry:

6. GregY

GregY New Member

And what would the penalty be if they didn't? I've never seen any eBay rules that say either the buyer or seller MUST leave feedback.

I almost always leave feedback right after receiving payment ... but I will wait with some buyers.

7. Vinyl-Addict

Ebay does say that sellers should leave feedback after receiving payment.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

But to look at it from the other side why should they leave it right away? It can be argued that feedback relates to the entire transaction, not just getting paid. If they get some PITA buyer it's understandable that they'd want to wait just in case. I don't really get too concerned about it. 95% of the time I get feedback either right after paying or within 15 days of the auctions end. I'm not that desperate that my feedback rating relfect a deal from last night.

9. Vinyl-Addict

I'm not saying feedback should be left immediately following payment, I'm talking about sellers delaying leaving feedback until the Buyer leaves feedback first, that's not right. Once the buyer pays, his end of the deal is done so feedback should be left in a timely manner.

I'm not desperate for feedback, however, I believe feedback is the way you are measured on Ebay so I always pay quickly and answer all emails in a timely manner to keep my positive feedback at 100%.

10. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Just use different accounts for selling and buying. Negative feedback hurts sellers much more than buyers.

Joachim

11. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

The lack of sellers giving feedback may be due to the amount of orders they get. The company I work for will get 1500 internet orders on a busy day.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Sorry, Vinyl Addict, but you (and most other eBay customers) are paying the price of problem customers who use negative feedback -- without the threat of retaliatory negatives -- as leverage to demand after-the-purchase accomodations.

My brother is an eBay seller, and he discontinued leaving feedback immediately after payment, mainly for this reason. I believe one guy expected a partial refund because Canadian customs charged him extra, as my brother warned him. He instructed my brother to lie on the package and claim it was a gift, which he refused to do.

Also, the fact is that most customers simply don't leave feedback once they've received their's. Withholding feedback from buyers, who generally have low feedback totals, ensures they'll leave the seller feedback.

13. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I take one day every two weeks to catch up on feedback because I'm busy.
    It gives me a chance to send out "friendly reminders" and allows for the occasional error on my end that might result in a neg if I had left fb first. I feel that it's a matter of time for most sellers.

14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

As an semi-regular seller, I stick with leaving feedback right after I get paid. I haven't been burnt yet, but if I do, well...the world isn't going to end. Most people on eBay are honest.

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

One thing that bothers me are sellers who don't leave feedback at all...sorry, but in the interest of being part of the eBay community, I don't care if you're large or small, I expect to get feedback for my good deed of quick payment, if it's a day, a week or a month after I pay or get my merchandise, I expect it. I bought from a company that did a lot of eBay business, and even they left me feedback. Granted all their feedback (all four items) was the same, but still, it's appreciated.

IMHO, some (few) sellers will hold your positive feedback hostage, with the implied threat of, "If you leave me a negative, I will leave YOU a negative." Even if it's unwarranted. Some seller feedback I've seen is laughable: very childlike in some cases. I've actually seen "Liar! Liar! Liar!" in a seller feedback because the buyer found out the item wasn't genuine as advertised--the seller knew they were caught, and the only collateral damage they could cause was to start raving like a lunatic about it. Plus, sellers AND buyers need to learn to work this out in e-mail and not via feedback postings, which is cowardly IMHO.

16. diskguy

diskguy Senior Member

I've been selling on ebay for a few years & I used to leave feedback immediately after receiving payment. Like Joefont, I too got burned by a couple of negs. I don't think either were warranted, but I had no chance to correct or make ammends. I would have offered a refund at the very least, if it would have made a difference. I now never leave feedback until I know that the buyer is content with the transaction. When I find this out thru feedback or an email from the buyer I will leave positive feedback at that time. If someone has a complaint with me I'd like a chance to explain or fix it before being blasted with an off the cuff comment. What's the big hurry anyway? I've not had any problems since I started doing it this way. Makes sense to me.

17. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I always left feedback upon payment, yet for unconfirmed addresses and low feedback or new user paid by paypal I usually wait for 30-60 days to leave feedback.

I also just sold some stuff to a person in Mexico with a (10). When researching I found he has Never left feedback for anyone. I do not plan to leave feedback for this buyer unless I get a change of heart.

If the auction states feedback will be left AFTER the buyer leaves feedback - I try to avoid buying from that seller even though I understand the situation.

18. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I used to leave positive feedback upon payment but after receiving this email I've been hesitant. This person has not left negative feedback... yet... I did refund her money but have not seen the bracelet (I did not ask for it's return but if it was in that bad of shape why would she keep it?) BTW she had a piss poor way of wording it.

I received this today and decided to write you a quick email before leaving negative feedback. I dont care what an item costs, it isnt acceptable to sell something and not disclose it is damaged. "Clasp works" is NOT the same as "clasp is broken, but still works". Additionally a section of this bracelet is WIRED together. Sellers are bound to disclose all damage in their listings. I am not going to bother battling over an inexpensive piece, but you can be assured had this cost more money, I would have put it into dispute immediately, in addition to the negative feedback. No way to do business.

My reply - Please give me your address again and I will refund all money involved. I'm not a jewlery expert and I honestly thought that the clasp worked and I did not notice that the item was wired together. Perhaps in the future I should have my wife look at these items first. Please except my refund and sincere apologys.

Not what I really wanted to say.

19. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Feedback on Ebay is an option, always has been.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I used to leave feedback immediately after receiving payment. Then I got burned. (Some idiot left negative feedback because I sent his package to his PayPal confirmed address and not to a secondary address he sent me after his package already left my house!)

So now I only leave feedback after the buyer leaves feedback. I use an auction management program for my auctions which asks me when I'm preparing the shipping invoice/label if I want to leave feedback (so it would be no hassle at all). I now say no, and the program will then continue to check to see if the buyer has left feedback. If/when (s)he does, the program will again prompt me to leave feedback, and at that time I will.

A few bad apples ruin it for everyone...

Kwad

21. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

I leave feedback when I know the buyer is happy.
    If the buyer emails me and says they received their
    package and am satisfied with the item I then
    post positive feedback whether they leave me
    feedback or not. Most times people leave me a
    positive comment without emailing me and I
    happily return the favor. I currently have a feedback
    of 1,695 (99.6% positive) and have sold since 1999.

22. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"I always leave feedback the night I receive payment, and so far I haven't been burned."

As an eBay seller, like Jon, I also leave eBay feedback for my buyers when I receive their payment. To me, they have completed their part in our transaction, and it is now up to me to get their items to them. It does bother me when a buyer does not leave eBay feedback for me, when I ship the items to them the day after I receive their payments, except on the weekends or holidays, which I ship on Mondays or the days following holidays. I have also noticed that lately a lot of sellers that I've dealt with do not leave feedback until after I, as an eBay buyer, leave positive feedback for them; and in some cases they never leave feedback, especially Half.com sellers.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

23. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I agree with Vinyl Addict. IMO if I pay in prompt fashion then my obligation is done. I am not obliged to LYK when your package arrives by leaving positive feedback. I never leave feedback for a seller unless he leaves it first. When I am the seller and I get paid promptly I leave positive feedback in let the chips fall. So far I have not had any problems but I buy a lot more than I sell. The system has some loopholes to be sure but it's better than it used to be when anyone could leave feedback for anyone else

Cheers-
    Norm

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's no big deal to me if the buyer leaves feedback. That's not why I don't leave feedback immediately anymore. It's because of a few idiots who will leave negative feedback for ridiculous reasons. I need to reserve my right/threat to leave retalitory feedback. Hate to say that's it, but that's it. Heck, if I knew the buyer COULDN'T leave feedback, then I'd happily leave feedback immediately!

(I have about 500 feedbacks since 1997, have probably sold 3x that many things, and only 1 of those was a negative, left by an idiot).

Kwad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.