Selling etiquette - listing an item at a lower price than a current active listing

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by eddiel, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a cd set that I was going to list but recalled that someone else listed the same item recently. I double checked and indeed it is still for sale and has been for almost 3 weeks.

However, I intend to list mine at a much lower price (almost 50% less).

I don't mind waiting to give the other seller a chance and I was thinking of not listing mine until the other seller has had 4-5 weeks to sell their copy.

I was wondering what would be considered proper etiquette in this situation. Should I wait till it's sold or removed from the market place before listing or is 4-5 weeks ok?

2. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

If someone lists an item for way over market value (which sounds like the case here) I wouldn't have any qualms about putting your listing up at an amount around the going rate.

Most of our sellers here a realistic about their asking price - there's even a few that consistently list below market (thank you ladies and gentlemen - you know who you are).

3. eddiel

I should probably add...the other listing has a price that I have seen the set go for, so it's not totally out of the market. But I also seen it go for less. Depends on how patient a potential buyer is in terms of waiting for a cheaper one :)

Anyway, I'll give some time as I have other things to sell and then re-evaluate.

4. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

what are you selling and how much? jk ;-)

eddiel likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wouldn't worry about undercutting another seller.

Choose the price you want and let the chips fall!

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We used to see this kind of consideration for fellow sellers, around 2010 - 2012, what felt like the golden years for our classifieds section.
    You obviously remind me that that sort of spirit still exists here, and I respect you for that. :targettiphat:
    After nearly 3 weeks, and no bites, I'd personally say " go ahead, and list yours."
    This thread alone shows you have the best of intentions.
    Best of luck, I hope it sells quickly.

AaronW, ggergm, eddiel and 4 others like this.
  7. Dale A B

Dale A B Forum Resident

I used to sell via Half.com and always undercut the best price. Sometimes other sellers would match my price.
    I don't care about other people's problems.

8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I think your consideration is commendable and certainly within the spirit of a community forum such as this.

While I wouldn’t consciously undercut an existing listing, I don’t do a lot of research to see if there is another listing deep downstream.

curbach likes this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Half.com there is a name I haven't heard in forever :) I feel like I was still a kid back then

[​IMG]

10. eddiel

Generally I don't do that either. In this case I remembered seeing the original ad. :)

Sometimes I do a search for a particular title to see what it might have sold for previously, just to see if I'm in the right ball park.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.