Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Traffic Light Rock"

I'll try to follow along, but I fall so far behind on some of these threads. My total devotion is to The Kinks thread right now, and sometimes I find it difficult to keep up with several of these song by song threads.

I'm very particular with XTC and only like certain albums, but they are a band I would like to have a better knowledge of. I always expect to like certain records more, so maybe this will provide some guidance. My favorite is The Dukes period, but I find all their albums to be somewhat intriguing. I don't really know the debut album, but I think I may like it. This song reminds me of early Oingo Boingo. I like it. 3.5/5

"Instant Tunes"

This one grates on me more than the last one. I'm also much more in the Andy camp, but Colin does sound like he is doing Andy here. I'm also hearing some of that Boingo Madness mixed with a little bit of Colin Newman thrown in. Not bad, but it's not a song I could see myself revisiting often. 2.5/5

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

Uh oh. We've already had one too many Oingo Boingo comparisons...

If XTC ever put out anything remotely close to this, I would never listen to them again.

3. palisantrancho

I'm new to the thread and didn't read anything yet. The Oingo Boingo reference was a truthful response to the song. I'm not jumping on a Oingo Boingo train, but I would imagine there would be others that hear the similarities. Why is this a bad thing?

Lars Medley, Lance LaSalle and Bob C like this.
  4. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

Just personal preference. Although there may be some musical stylistic similarities, I don't place Oingo Boingo anywhere near the same league. Sorry.

5. palisantrancho

Danny Elfman may be a freak, but I'm pretty sure this was a song to shock and offend. It's creepy and demented, but that was the point. It also doesn't sound much different from this XTC period.

I'm not putting either of them in a league. I'm neither a Boingo fanatic or an XTC maniac. I would also say that I agree with you and think XTC is far superior overall. In this late 70s period, many bands had a similar vibe. XTC is probably much closer to other bands of the time, but Oingo Boingo is a band many are familiar with.

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Sparks released "Young Girls" a year before, same theme and wink with lyrics less direct.

7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "Instant Tunes"
    1-1
    2-4
    3-11
    4-3
    5-1
    Average: 2.77

8. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Let's Have Fun", written by Colin Moulding, produced by John Leckie.

Background:
    An outtake from White Music, this was released on Coat Of Many Cupboards in 2002.

Colin:
    Andy:
    Colin Moulding: lead vocals, bass guitar
    Andy Partridge: guitar, backing vocals
    Barry Andrews: guitar, backing vocals
    Terry Chambers: drums

9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yep, I'm having some fun with this one Colin - 3/5!

10. Lance LaSalle

I'm beginning to feel like a broken record:

• it's fun.
    • it's better than some songs on the album.
    • Not as good as others.
    • It's energetic.
    Perhaps because of the brevity -- I love punky songs that are 80 seconds long, I rate it higher than many of these outtakes. Plus I am one of these rare souls who likes fun.
    3.5/5

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  11. Lance LaSalle

Of course Barry Andrews played keyboards, not guitar.

brownie61 likes this.
  12. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Let's Have Fun"

Never heard this one before, but it's par for the course for White Music material. If this had been on the album instead of "Do What You Do" I probably wouldn't have raised an eyelid at the time or any time since. It is indeed fun - a bit like "Spinning Top" with its rhythm at times, and it's a pity that it didn't emerge sooner so that it could have been on the original CD, but it's unlikely that it's going to become a long-term listen for me at this stage (and I would would probably have said the same about "Do What You Do" had the aforementioned role reversal occurred). 2/5.

13. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I don't know, but there was a much-admired performance by the NYD on the UK TV (non-chart) show The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1973 (I think) which no doubt XTC would have watched.

Let's Have Fun - it's OK, nothing much - ' brevity was XTC's middle name then.' - Xtremely Terse Chaps? 1/5

By the way Tiswas, though nominally a children's programme, was one of my 3 favourite TV shows of the 70s - very funny and almost a satire on the genre.

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Let’s Have Fun

The chorus is fun. And yes, the band does seem to be really tight. But the verses and keyboard parts are not pleasing to my ears. (I promise I really do love this band. :laugh: Just not this era.)

2.5/5

15. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Let’s Have Fun:
    Colin’s comments about the song are funny and make me like the song even more. That guitar tone gets me every time; it’s spiky and brash. A short burst of good natured, youthful exuberance.
    3/5

16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Let's Have Fun" -- 2.5/5

Well, Colin and Andy are correct -- they were definitely a tight band. This is a tight performance of a very slight song.

17. Been away for a couple of days and seem to have missed about 10 songs.

Let's Have Fun - 2.5/5.

As above, slight but tight.

18. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Let's Have Fun

Rather hort. It's catchy, and there's some song in there even if it's short. Is that a bridge that ends the song with nothing following it?

Again, this is more of the same compared to the songs on the album (but, not very much more of the same). However, I think it was the correct decision to leave this one off.

There's nothing really wrong with this song so I won't go beneath 3/5. However, for a lot of these b-sides, they are only just 3/5 so I'm voting the same for a number of songs in a row.

3/5

19. Foreign Object

Foreign Object Forum Resident

"Video Unavailable" Sad thing is, if you don't have C of MC you're out of luck for owning it or even listening to it. I won't pay over 200 dollars Canadian to buy C of MC.

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Guess it's a territorial restriction in Canada. I can watch it fine.

FWIW, I just snagged an excellent copy of Coat of Many Cupboards on Discogs a few weeks back for about $80 USD, so about $100 Canadian.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  21. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Let's Have Fun:

They obviously did have fun making songs like this. Agree with the "slight, but tight" crowd.

hvgrace, brownie61, ARL and 1 other person like this.
  22. Foreign Object

Foreign Object Forum Resident

Cheapest on Discogs for me is 140 bucks. We're always getting screwed on the exchange rates in Canada. Oh well. The funny thing is I've heard this track very recently online somewhere and now I can't find it, just disappeared into thin air.

croquetlawns and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Let's Have Fun. Never heard this before, just bought Coat of Many Cupboards from Qobuz the other day. Super super tight playing. A good filler but the playing makes it a almost too good to just throw away.

24. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Fun -- 2/5. Most of these b-sides are interesting in some way, but never stick around

pocketcalculator and brownie61 like this.
  25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Pulled "Coat of Many Cupboards" from my shelf only to watch the booklet detach before my eyes. I suppose it can be re-affixed at some point but it is easier to read when not tied to the box.

That said, "Let's Have Fun" is a fun little song. Might have made for an interesting opening to the White Music album as an introduction of things to come.

2.75/5