Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

There was also plenty of great music released in August/September 1987. The top 20 Billboard albums from any month/year are usually terrible.

2. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

Of course, there was a lot of great music released in 1987. In my music world Bon Jovi fell more in line with the mainstream stuff included on Billboard’s chart than the ‘other’ stuff. You just needed to know where to look for the good stuff.

3. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

And all the MTv you could handle to get to the clips you did want to see. Most of what you have posted are not music I sought out to listen to.
    Have The Outfield records, and saw them once opening for Mike and the Mechanics out in Concord, Ca. That might have been 1987... Vega
    had a song I liked on MTv. Like U2, but unlike most I didn't like that period - they would soon get much better. The Hair-bands and all the
    Hip-Hop and Rap, I avoided except for a few cases I don't see on that list. LL Cool J had a couple, and what was his name? Flavor Flav? out
    of Oakland was amusing. That stuff was just getting started around '87. By 1989 I had friends that were buying it and playing some at parties.
    Was "The Heat Is On" on Beverly Hills Cop Soundtrack? I liked that, but not as much as the Caddyshack Soundtrack, I own that. I liked Kenny
    Loggins - don't throw bricks at me!

I was still listening to CSN&Y-types. Going to concerts by Costello, Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen (The Desert Rose Band was just getting
    started), Genesis, Beach Boys, of course. Could make a long list, but they wouldn't be on what pasted as interesting on Charts in the mid-'80s.
    Madonna had plenty of good songs, but I didn't buy them, just watched on Tv. I have loads of VHS tapes I made out in the storeroom - don't
    have a working player anymore! Maybe, like cassettes, VHS will make a comeback. Then I could watch my old tapes by Prefab Sprout and
    Swing Out Sister, who don't seem popular enough these days to get their videos on to DVD.

4. Will Harris

Icehouse was the 1980s, KangaMom. You love them. I own some of their videos from MTv on comps I made. Not sure how well their records sold in America,
    or rated on Billboard Charts...

KangaMom likes this.
  5. Will Harris

7:30 pm here. I've got a party about to start at my house. Saturday, Yeah!!!. Want to leave a 5/5 vote/placeholder for "Pale And Precious",
    Lance, if you don't mind. In case I don't get back in here tomorrow. I rest on Sunday.

Lars Medley likes this.
  6. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Yes, but I like early Icehouse (think 1981/1982) a bit more than late 80s Icehouse.... I will say that Australian music from the 80s was brilliant and so it's not surprising that I wasn't listening to much else...(although my memory could be faulty - it was a long time ago :))

The funny thing about that list posted was that I looked at the entire list and just went "bleh.." I don't own a single thing in this list and barely any of the artists.

7. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah, those are my thoughts. Not a terrible song but it just does not add up for me. I give it a generous 3.

KangaMom likes this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Our votes for "The Affiliated"
    1-0
    2-5
    3-8
    4-5
    5-6
    Average: 3.3542

Lars Medley and KangaMom like this.
  9. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Pale And Precious", written by Sir John Johns and produced by John Leckie & XTC.

The Dukes of Stratosphear – Pale and Precious Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
    Background:
    A conscious attempt to write a Beach Boys song.
    Andy:
    Dave:
    Line Up:
    Andy Partridge: vocals
    Lord Cornelius Plum: synths, mellotron, piano
    The Red Curtain: bass
    E.I.E.I. Owen: drums

Stereo, 5.1 and instrumental remixes were relased on the 2019 CD/Blu-Ray compilation Psurroundabout Ride.

10. Lance LaSalle

Tomorrow, I'll hold up the Psonic Psunspot album for discussion. Following that I will hold. up:
    • Happy Families (Partridge) {from She's Having A Family soundtrack, 1988)
    So on Tuesday, then, I'll start holding up songs from Oranges And Lemons.

11. Lance LaSalle

"Pale And Precious" is about the best Beach Boys pastiche ever made, and by kind of sounding like “Wonderful”, he picked a good one to pastiche,but the SMiLE type section -- the one that sounds a bit some of those crazy sections from "Heroes And Villains"

is a bit too on the nose, and, as is often the case of people who try to imitate SMiLE gets the goofy weirdness right, but forgets the sheer unearthly beauty of it.

Still, a very nice song and The Beach Boys fan in me loves it.

4.5/5

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    JSKC, Lars Medley, Doctorwu and 10 others like this.
  12. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Pale and Precious"

I might as well confess that I have never owned a Beach Boys record. I know the bigger hits of course, but I tried a couple of times with Pet Sounds many years ago but couldn't get into it. Even I knew what the Dukes were getting at with this one, though. It's very nice - lovingly and beautifully crafted. It probably deserves to be better known and acclaimed, and it may well have become so, had they not done a similar thing on the next album, this time with a song which transcended all thoughts of homage or pastiche and became that all-time classic. Being on a Dukes album probably prevented P&P from being taken seriously enough to fully appreciate its qualities. 4/5.

N.B. I'd often thought that the deep-voiced "fade away, ah-ah, fade away" bits were a nod towards 10cc - "humdrum days and humdrum ways".

13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

The Affiliated - Just when it's getting boring, the change up come and it briefly becomes really interesting. Nice lyric though, so 3/5

mikmcmee, KangaMom, brownie61 and 3 others like this.
  14. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Pale and Precious - the first Dukes song I ever heard. I was big into 60s Beach Boys at the time, including some SMiLE bootlegs, and I heard this in a second-hand CD store and was floored. I'd bought Chips From the Chocolate Fireball instantly - 5/5

15. The Greatest Living Englishman is generally considered the best Martin Newell album. Yes, the one Andy Partridge produced.

16. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I'm a huge BB fan but something doesn't quite work for me; however, I don't think it's just Andy P/Dukes, none of the obvious BB 'copies' capture the depth and wonder of real BB music as Lance says. In fact XTC conjured this spirit far better and more subtly a couple of years later with Chalkhills and Children, which sounded more akin to Surf's Up the first time I heard it than anything else I'd heard since 1971 and is a definite 5/5.

P&P covers rather too many of the bases; the rather turgid tune sounds more like Chris Rainbow (Dear Brian etc) than the real thing, the 'up she rises' bit I suppose is either California Girls or the Love You album, can't decide, and the Good Vibrations thereminny bit echoes one of the (then officially) unreleased sections of the original, so unlikely AP would have heard that before 1990 and the Smiley Smile CD bonus tracks.

I dunno, too much of a mess, 3/5.

17. Yeppers41

Yeppers41 Forum Resident

It was a great year for music. I was 16, and could barely keep up with the things I wanted to buy.

CLASSIC 1987 ALBUMS
    The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
    The Triffids - Calenture
    Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
    Jane Siberry - The Walking
    REM - Document
    Eurythmics - Savage
    The Chills - Brave Words
    The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
    Cleaners from Venus - Going To England
    Danny Wilson - Meet Danny Wilson
    The Lilac Time - s/t
    Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years
    10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
    Dead Can Dance - In The Realm of the Dying Sun
    The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands
    Love and Rockets - Earth, Sun, Moon
    The Housemartins - The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death
    Sinead O'Connor - The Lion and the Cobra

CLASSIC MAINSTREAM ALBUMS
    Prince - Sign O' The Times
    Pet Shop Boys - Actually
    John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
    Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night

DON'T PERSONALLY APPEAL, BUT DESERVED THEIR SUCCESS
    INXS - Kick
    U2 - The Joshua Tree
    George Michael - Faith
    Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love

CLASSIC COMPILATIONS
    New Order - Substance
    The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs

CONTENTIOUS ALBUMS I ENJOY VERY MUCH
    The Go-Betweens - Tallulah
    Echo and the Bunnymen - s/t
    Aztec Camera - Love
    Railway Children - Reunion Wilderness
    Men Without Hats - Pop Goes The World
    Swing Out Sister - It's Better To Travel
    Alison Moyet - Raindancing
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - Through The looking Glass
    Westworld - Where The Action is
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Mainstream
    Hoodoo Gurus - Blow Your Cool!
    Sonic Youth - Sister

18. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Don’t forget:
    The Silos - Cuba
    Dumptruck - For The Country

19. Missed a couple of days

Brainiac - probably my least favourite on the record. 3/5.
    The Affiliated - perfectly captures the spirit of dusty drinking clubs and pubs, but has a necessarily dreary atmosphere. 4/5.
    Pale and Precious - on the money Beach Boys pastiche but lacks a little heart for me. Still pretty tasty. 4/5.

20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I admire the work put into Pale and Precious but that’s about it.

Talk about a band starting out with a bang (the outrageously fun and loud garage rock of 25 O’Clock) and then ending with a whimper with this.

It all feels a bit self conscious, which is a problem with PP overall but at its greatest here. And this doesn’t sound like the Dukes. It sounds like Andy P doing his best Beach Boys imitation.

At least 25 O’Clock set a mood and didn’t let go. PP has a tougher time with that, but Pale and Precious totally breaks the mood.

2/5 on a good day.

21. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

I just can’t with “Pale and Precious”. It uses a cast of transparently Beach Boy trademarks, chord progressions, vocal arrangements, instrumentation and jams them together in a cluttered mess of a composition. It obviously took a lot of work but misses the mark by a mile, with none of the mystery, joy and sorrow. The lyrics are particularly bad. I don’t enjoy listening to it.

It was clearly research that ended up leading to sublime Brian Wilson-influenced work like “Chalkhills And Children”, “Rook”, “Frivolous Tonight” and many more less obvious examples in future songs. What, after “Season Cycle” (which is also miles better), becomes an increasingly important strand woven into XTC’s tapestry. But here it sounds like a parody, especially the “up she rises” part. That sudden blast of theramin is painful.

I’m sorry to sound harsh. It was a necessary experiment but it’s a mad-libs version of The Beach Boys and ends the album on a ponderous note. It sounds like a homework assignment. 2/5

22. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Pale And Precious, perhaps too obvious a pastiche, but a lot of fun nonetheless. Gets 4/5 from me.

23. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

"Pale and Precious"

The first half of the song just plods along in a positively sleep-inducing manner and then turns into a way too obvious BB pastiche before descending into something utterly boring and plodding again. Possibly the worst song on the album for me, helped by the fact that I've never been much of a BB fan.

24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

[​IMG]

"Pale and Precious" -- 4.5/5

One would have to be a either a little nuts or incredibly self-assured to try to pull something like this off. That's our Andy.

This pastiche does manage to perfectly capture the spirit of Smile-era Beach Boys -- which as Lance stated, many others have tried, and not come this close. Andy is, of course, an incredibly gifted songwriter. He's written quite a few things that I would rank in the upper echelon of pop perfection, but aping 1966-1967 Brian Wilson is...a daring feat...to say the least, and I'm not sure that the song scales those heights. How could it, really?

I'm still giving it a high rating, though, because from an arrangement standpoint, they really, really nail it. There are some BW songwriting earmarks that are hit right on the nose, and like Neil Innes finding that secret formula for The Rutles, the Dukes successfully capture the essence of the Beach Boys, dressing this tune up to legitimately resemble a long-lost Smile track that had yet to be uncovered in 1987. For that alone, it deserves high marks!

25. Lance LaSalle

I realized that the song is not really SMiLE era Beach Boys -- but Smiley Smile era, and it's specifically a pastiche of "Wonderful [kinda creepy version]" but with the middle bit sounding more SMiLE than the middle bit here.