Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Wing Beat Fantastic is a great song. You can definitely hear the Andyness in it, and also in the other track from that album that’s posted on Keneally’s website (I’m Raining Here, Inside).

If you do start a thread like that, please link to it here, or else it might take months until I find it. :)

2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I was just dinging around Discogs, and the entry for "Dear God" has a 'live' version from some awards show.

3. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

My TC&I EP arrived as well as "The Hardest Battle" which is apparently no longer out of stock...

Looking forward to giving it a listen this weekend.

chickendinna, intv7, mikmcmee and 4 others like this.
  4. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

Did anyone here go the recent XTC weekend in Swindon?

5. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

The last time I was on Burning Shed site was to buy the Andy Failed Songwriting Christmas Ep. I didn’t notice if the TC&I live album, Naked Flame is still in print. If so, pick up a copy. You’ll love it.

6. Auska_Lo

Auska_Lo Well-Known Member

7. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

8. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

Without too much investigation, I'd wager that's the audio from the CASBY awards show in 1987. From Toronto, IIRC? All award winners played live on the show (?), but no one informed the band of that, nor was the show informed that XTC did not play live any more. Colin's son, Lee, lip synced the intro for "Dear God", and the band mimed the rest of it. Andy wrote a letter that was placed in the audiences free program for the evening explaining it all and why there was no live XTC to enjoy. Andy's letter is a rarity that eludes me still, although i do have one of the programs.

9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

So...did they officially release the "live" audio of a mimed performance?

10. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

KangaMom and Lars Medley like this.
  11. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

No. Not sure what release has this mime-ing.

12. KangaMom

13. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Boy the interview really does make a big deal about Andy being "choked up" and close to tears during parts of the interview. I don't remember that ever being emphasized in any previous interview with Andy. In fact, I think that he usually comes off as kind of manically funny. I hope he's OK.

14. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I wish I hadn't read the guardian interview, I had no idea about his twitter debacle, some of his posts there were disappointing to say the least, sigh.

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yeah, I was around on that Twitter feed, he replied me on a 60s UK psychedelic track I mentioned, but yes I did see the um.. reactions that caused him to quit it.

Nonsuch, Lars Medley and KangaMom like this.
  16. KangaMom

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant by gloomy. I just had the impression that he was essentially retired and spending way too much time at home by himself (so to speak). I guess I got the sense of a guy who has decided he is gonna retire from the world which was a bit sad to read to be honest.

17. Nonsuch

Nonsuch Knows a Little Bit About a Lot of Things

He’s been hinting for a while that he wasn’t in a great place as far as the future of his music was concerned. I think the saddest part for me is that he’s basically become a recluse who seems increasingly uncomfortable/afraid of being out among other people. That has to be tough to live with.

18. Nonsuch

Plus the whole “Santa” incident … I had no idea. It reads like dark comedy except it’s real. :eek:

19. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  20. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

KangaMom, Lars Medley and Mr. Bewlay like this.
  21. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I read the Guardian interview and it left me sad and very concerned for Andy’s well being. He seems like a prisoner in his own life. I can’t speak to his comments on Twitter other than what I’ve read. His Twitter posts don’t seem to square with who I believe Andy to be. I only know Andy from some interviews, video clips and his participation in the This is Pop documentary. I prefer my knowledge of Andy to be from his lyrics. I hope Andy finds some happiness. At least the same amount of happiness he’s given to me and countless others through his music.

22. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

tonight the streets are full of tractors

This link takes you to the location of the blog post-it's a little easier than trying to edit the link.

He really is the definition of a troubled genius. One hopes he will get the recognition the bands' entire body of work deserves, not just the handful of hit singles. This song by song thread made me realize just how good they were, and at least 70% of that artistic achievement is due to AP's talent as a writer and musician-not to discount Colin Moulding or Dave Gregory's contributions, but I doubt it would have happened without Andy Partridge. IMO, of course.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  23. SMRobinson

SMRobinson Forum Resident

A great interview.

KangaMom likes this.
  24. Nonsuch

Like Andy put it in the interview linked above, he was "the battery" -- Moulding and Gregory are capable and creative musicians, but they're not leaders. I think the peculiar stroke of luck that made XTC possible was that Andy managed to surround himself with two musicians who could a) contribute a great deal while b) having no real interest in challenging him for leadership of the band. That arrangement was always fraught and probably doomed to break down. I think we're lucky it even lasted as long as it did.

Mr. Bewlay, KangaMom, snepts and 5 others like this.
  25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Additional circumstantial evidence: Barry Andrews did prove to be a band leader, and he couldn't be accommodated.