Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

A good leader recognizes not just what the people he's directing are capable of, or are good at, and directing them appropriately, but also knowing that people want to contribute something meaningful that is their own work, and know that that contribution is appreciated. It seems like Andy had some difficulties with these aspects of being a band leader, at least towards the end. As you mention, it was a long time coming, but even two easy-going types like Dave and Colin eventually get fed up.

The quote from Stephen Duffy from the interview Mr. Bewlay linked to, about how Andy complained to them about what a dictator Todd Rundgren was as a producer, and then proceeded to show them that he knew better what to play and how to play it than they did, kind of encapsulates a particular obliviousness.

I wonder how Andy and Robyn Hitchcock were able to get along. Perhaps Andy recognized Robyn as more of a peer in songwriting or musicianship, or maybe Robyn was content to let Andy deal with the arrangements.

2. Nonsuch

Nonsuch Knows a Little Bit About a Lot of Things

Andy seems to function differently in collaborative settings versus when it's his music that's being recorded. Neither he nor Colin seemed to have any interest in attempting a Lennon-McCartney style partnership, and he was very protective and proprietorial about the songs he brought to the band.

3. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

From this interview, it seems that it's their maturity that allowed it to happen-we just had to wait this long for the circumstances to be right. I do wish they'd do more. I love Planet England.

Andy Partridge & Robyn Hitchcock Interview on Rivalry & Collaboration | Billboard – Billboard

4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I love it too and a full length album would be quite welcome. My only quibble is that I’d like a little more Andy, particularly in the vocal department. Robyn’s new album Shufflemania is receiving rave reviews. I would love to see Andy re-emerge from the wilderness and release new material. But after reading his recent interview, it looks like I’ll be waiting a long time for that.

5. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Any more recent news on the full album collaboration with Robyn? I'm looking very forward to that if it ever happens. I too would like a little more of Andy's vocals which I enjoy.

AlienRendel likes this.
  6. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. Lars Medley

Lars Medley I lost on Jeopardy!

Three things:

1) I miss this thread. I wish there was some new music to talk about!
    2) My Apple Music year in review for '22 was basically all XTC, which doesn't account for all of the physical media of theirs I consumed. Just bought a Canadian lp of Beeswax yesterday :o
    3) Some kind soul posted a nice rip of This is Pop to youtube.

8. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The Waxworks/Beeswax combo which I bought packaged together when it was released is one of my most beloved vinyl possessions.

Apart from more vinyl reissues, is there anything else on the horizon for XTC?

9. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

There is a post wayyyy back on here compiling the XTC live tracks they issued on record. Most, if not all, are not available on cd or dl, so you have to own them.

I do have a good portion already, but have now obtained a very nice condition "Love at first sight" 7" for the three live tracks, so next search involves a Japan only 7", and the UK 12" of farmboys wages...

10. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I have that one... But I don't have a record player now so I can't do needledrops.... Hopefully I will have one again in a few months.

11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

T
    They would make a nice compilation for a ‘new’ XTC release!

mikmcmee and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I've just listened to my White Muisic/Go2 playlist, which cuts the crap and keeps the goodies. (also included a couple songs from The 3D EP). There really is a good, punchy, frenetic pop album in that! I really enjoyed it!

13. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

The stuff that's great on those albums is REALLY great! Some of my favorite XTC material is from that era.

14. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Share your playlist!

brownie61 and Lars Medley like this.
  15. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Go2 is fairly patchy. There are a number of forgettable tracks, in addition to My Weapon, which is memorable for all the wrong reasons. That said, I’d argue White Music is consistently great so I would have difficulty making a combined record from the best tracks on the two albums, unless I could do if over three sides of vinyl.

Lars Medley likes this.
  16. pocketcalculator

If you don't already have it, Transistor Blast includes quite a few of the recordings that ended up on b-sides.

17. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Transistor Blast is essential listening.

Lars Medley and chickendinna like this.
  18. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

But none of the live recordings, which is what we're talking about.

Lars Medley and croquetlawns like this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I also did a condensed 1978 album (which I called 78RPM), and it's a great listen. Power pop on acid-laced TNT.

20. pocketcalculator

Well, there are recordings from three live shows from '78-'80 on the last two discs. I had thought that some of the live b-sides were taken from those shows but after looking up the Towers of London single I think that's incorrect.

cowboy72 and Lars Medley like this.
  21. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I love the live set from 1979 on Transistor Blast, I think it's the last gig they played with Barry. Apparently the band weren't happy with their performance. And sadly we only get edited highlights on Transistor Blast.

22. Lars Medley

Lars Medley I lost on Jeopardy!

Having never seen the documentary before I have to say it really downplays Colin's contributions -- songwriting, lead/harmony vox, and playing the bass. I was never going to be happy with a doc this short but I didn't expect the level of disrespect...

23. albabe

albabe Forum Resident

I found a nice 1080p version of this and was gonna put it up a few years back, but I completely spaced-out. I apologize. Glad someone did. Great Doc and I agree with Lars that it's more Andy-Centric than it should be. Is Colin even Interviewed? I just watched it a few months back with my wife (She's an XTC Fan too) and I barely remember any new clips of Colin, and those memories might be false. If he is, its minimal.

Lars Medley likes this.
  24. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

He's interviewed quite a bit.

But he's quiet, reserved, polite, and not full of sound bytes...unlike some other XTC members we know. :D

snepts, mikmcmee, albabe and 5 others like this.
  25. lowielovesmusic

lowielovesmusic Forum Resident

To quote Colin from this fantastic rockumentary: “It took a while, a bloody long while.”
    I have been trying to find this documentary for a long time. I really enjoyed this, so thank you for sharing.

What does hurt is the realisation that we will probably not see any new surround remixes, as the multis can’t be found. You know how frustrating it can be if you’ve misplaced something in your home? If only we could volunteer with an army of fans to help find what was lost. Just dreaming…