Senses Working Overtime: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphear Song-by-song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Another song that comes to mind for me here is "No Language In Our Lungs" which has a similar dirge-like groove but which comes across more powerfully with its message.

2. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

"Life Is Good in the Greenhouse": Nothing about this is good enough to justify its almost hostile pace. 1/5

3. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Worst song so far on Go2. I like Barry's input and really dislike that it follows such a strong track.
    It is so slow I just want it to end. 1/5 to give a rating of any kind.

4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Today's first song song is "Jumping In Gomorrah", written by Andy Partridge and produced by John Leckie.

XTC – Jumping in Gomorrah Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Andy:
    Colin:
    Andy Partridge: vocals, guitar
    Barry Andrews: organ
    Colin Moulding: bass guitar, vocals
    Terry Chambers: drums

5. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

They reuse riffs unlike anyone but Ray Davies and The Kinks but I prefer the 'Mole From The Ministry' version of this melody. That will get a 5 from me. 'Greenhouse' only rates 2/5 however

6. Lance LaSalle

Today's second song "Beat The Bible", written by Andy Partridge and produced by Andy Partridge and John Leckie.

"Beat The Bible' is a "dub experiment" based on "Jumping In Gomorrah". It was released on Go+, a vinyl EP that was released free with initial UK pressings of Go 2.

mikmcmee, AlienRendel and brownie61 like this.
  7. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

“Jumping to Gomorrah” - this is like manna from heaven after the desert of “Life is Good in the Greenhouse.” Stupid fun with lots of bouncy energy and a tasty guitar solo, and it’s over in 2:05. 3/5. ETA: Strike that. The Judges have ruled that an extra half a point should be awarded for the line “All aboard for Sodom!” 3.5/5

“Beat the Bible” - this sounds like the most Residents thing they’ve done. Is that good or bad? Too soon to tell. 2.5/5 or 5/5 depending on my mood.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  8. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Jumping In Gomorrah. This track makes me think I'm exactly the kind of geek to be an XTC fan. Let's take a super-peppy White Music style throwback and match it with Old Testament debauchery party exhortations - that's just comedy gold to me. From a musical standpoint, it's unremarkable (energetic though) but it's entertaining and funny.

9. Lance LaSalle

"Stupid Fun" describes this song well. Perhaps related to abit to @jimbutsu 's "big dumb fun", only even dumber?

Yes, this belongs in a Mel Brooks movie.

I can't help but enjoy it, even though I kind of get why people aren't into it. At the same time, it does seem like the kind of song you write when you don't have many songs going on at the moment and you desperately need to fill up an album.

3.2/5

"Beat the Bible"

For some reason, I like this one.

3/5

10. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

The phrase “All aboard for Sodom!” makes me smile every time. 4/5 here. I'm glad this thread has helped me to finally get Go2. It's still one of my least favorites but not as far down as it used to be

11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

How does this manage to be annoying and entertaining at the same time?! 3/5

12. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Jumping in Gomorrah

This is another quick and short Andy song. It's an OK example of that, but perhaps there have been a few too many songs of this style. It's an interesting example of such, but particularly at this point in the album (and on their second album) these are starting to sound a bit samey. Colin's backing vocal in the chorus is also pretty much a re-use from previous songs.

3.2/5

Beat The Bible is perhaps among the less interesting dub experiments. In my opinion.

13. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Jumping In Gomorrah"

This is a welcome change of pace after the previous track. Not exactly what you'd hope for Andy's closing statement of the album, but it's fun and does what it comes to do in the minimum time. Kind of similar to (although not nearly as good as) "Outside World" on the next album. 3/5.

"Beat The Bible" - also 3/5. This is one where it was kind of surprising to hear how much the actual song was fleshed out having only known the dub for a couple of years. Nice atmosphere.

Also surprising to read the lyrics and find that Andy didn't sing "I love stupid people".

14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Jumping In Gomorrah" -- 1.5/5

I actually find this track leans more toward annoying than entertaining. Happy that we're more or less nearing the end of the XTC-does-ska era. Another one that may have gone over well with a live audience, but this kind of stuff is not what I'm here for.

"Beat The Bible" -- 2/5

Not much to say about this, but I like it more than the original song.

15. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Jumping in Gomorrah is another one of those nondescript uptempo numbers of early XTC that I can easily do without. It’s not particularly bad, but with Beatown and Greenhouse they were at least trying for something more. Again, for some reason, I find this type of song annoys me much more on Go2 than it did on White Music. Can’t rate this higher than 2/5.

16. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I find 'Jumping' quite likeable , especially after the last couple of tracks; just fun for the pogo-ers and daft but sort of thoughtful lyrics (looking forward to Dear God?). Interesting that Barry didn't want to perform it as it feels like his most empathetic playing so far (i.e. for the song rather than his ego). Middle bit is good too. I'll give it 3/5.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yes, complete with Barry's little train whistle flourish! I do get a kick out of this one. Where "Dear God" got to be so heavy handed, "Gomorrah" is just catchy, freewheeling fun. I'm still not really feeling the dub version, which jettisons the original's exuberant buoyancy. 3.5/5

18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Which reminded me of 'Smile'... :)

19. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

"Jumping In Gomorrah" - Silly but fun. Perfect length for a song like this. 3/5

20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Jumping in Gomorrah

I find this song unexpectedly hilarious. I’m all for occasional irreverence. :D. The music is fun too! Definitely makes me want to jump up and down. (If not necessarily in Gomorrah.)

3.5/5

Beat the Bible

Another one that’s not bad. It’s worth it just for the train whistle after “All aboard for Sodom!”, which is easy to miss in the much busier album track.

2.5/5

21. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

Jumping:
    The combination of Andy’s guitar playing on this album coupled with Leckie’s production of it makes even the melodically weak songs fairly enjoyable to me. His Chuck Berry riffing is the highlight here, and Barry comes through again with some nice coloring. Overall, a good Pogo trifle. 3/5

22. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Jumping in Gomorrah - 4/5 - Lots of fun, good hooks, really funny lyrics.

23. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

I see why "Jumping In Gomorrah" comes after the kind of turgid "Greenhouse" to liven things up. It's pastiche of Ramones/Chuck Berry/The Dolls? is trying a little too hard to be fun though. Andy's elbow-to-the-ribs skewering of religion is not without charms but lacks the wit he's capable of. I like big dumb songs and even bad songs can have their place on a record as a palette cleanser. But, taken with the remaining tracks (sorry to get ahead), "Gomorrah" adds to the impression that GO2-era XTC is getting muddled in the trappings of their wacky costume. They're outsiders but also trying to be accepted with some punk-by-numbers. It may be the lack of personal chemistry, but things are starting to feel a bit labored, even as the album displays plenty of growth and innovation elsewhere.

Filing it under the category of stuff they do better later so pogo on. 2/5

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  24. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

I like "Beat The Bible" It sounds like a haunted ska-band practicing next door. 3/5

25. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Jumping in Gomorrah: Another really good one, great lyrics and energy, I'm religion free oh yeah! 4.25/5